World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
blondie2212

Do you ever think about life before H?

blondie2212

I find myself constantly looking at pictures of the times before the night I contracted H. I'm pretty much having constant OB's since the summer as alcohol is my trigger and as soon as I heal, even if i have a glass of wine i end up having another. It's such a hard situation, and even after nearly a year and keeping this to myself I feel I am still nowhere near coming to terms with this. If only I could turn back time!!

JHenry

Blondie,... We all know the hands of time cannot be turned back. I've made it a point, regardless of the issue, situation at hand to never try to live any part of my life in the rearview mirror. Rather than ever think of a "Pre-H" life,.. I tend to find myself looking forward, ahead to a life where H is no longer an issue or concern. For the first time in years, I find myself very positive and looking forward to some wonderful research news, it won't be much longer. There is so much good news and research development going on---plenty of reason to be optimistic! Hang in there! Henry.

AnaBella

I do that alot too...I really don't know when I contracted h but I've spent alot of time thinking of how things were before my dr told me the diagnosis. I think about how good things were before hand and how I would dwell on things before h that really now mean so little to me. Having h has changed me...but in many ways it changed me for the better. Now I spend alot less time worrying about things that I have little to no control over. I would love to go back re-live those years before b/c I wouldn't be as easily bothered by things. Now I have h but I try my hardest not to let it consume me. Don't let it get you down...the battle gets easier...prayerfully;)

hopeful2010

Blondie i could have written this post myself! Its been a year for me too; still not accepted my reality and still having a pretty terrible time, physically, 'coping' with it. I look at my old facebook photos and think how happy I was back in the day. I even get angry remembering times when i was upset or angry over things that now (post-h) seem so insignificant! i have now, at this moment, decided I am going to stop looking at those old photos, it never does any good.... here's to the future! take care x

Fin

Aww, Blondie, Im so sorry that your still having a rough time with this...Having H can be one of the hardest experiences in ones life...but I think like this: either you can allow it to break you down or make you better...

Its been a year now: what are you still having trouble coping with? Is it the pain of the outbreaks? Is it having to constantly take medication? Is it the stigma?

Have you considered therapy at all?

The one thing that you dont realize is your own self-awareness: you had mentioned that you know one of your triggers: alcohol...most of us, including me, dont know our triggers, so unfortunately we dont always have an easy time warding off outbreaks...but you do...and if that means that you have to stop drinking or be prepared to take your meds after the fact, at least you have that much!!

Its been 4 years since I was first diagnosed, and quite honestly, my life before then wasnt all that grand! I mean, I graduated college and had a decent job, but other than that, the men I was dealing with wasnt all that...I mean, I just basically had a regular but good life...so as far as nostalgia goes, Im not very interested in the past...I think my life has gotten much better after this, the quality of men Ive met have been better and overall, I was forced to be better!

So I ask you to really examine your life, and think about what you choices you need to make in regards to a more productive life NOW!!