World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
EClaire

hi...

EClaire

Hello everyone, I'm new obviously.

I joined this forum because today (well, technically yesterday) I got another cold sore. I've been getting them since probably before I can remember, the earliest time I recall having one was in 6th grade. They are always on the right side of my lower lip and today I'm having one of my worst breakouts ever.

I look like I got punched in the lip :madd:

Anyway, I'm so fed up with them that I started taking Lysine today, I printed off a free diet guide, and I joined this forum to "air my grievances."

Since I'm not supposed to let my skin condition define me, I won't do it here either. So more about me and less about my virus...

I'm a 21 year old college girl. I love hockey more than anything and I also enjoy collecting stuff. When I have the chance, I love to surf. I speak a tiny amount of French, trying to learn more and more. I'm always cooking and crafting, they're probably my callings but I'd much rather get into the business of hockey for a living.

That practically sums me up!

AquariusAngel

Hello EClaire and welcome to you. I have had oral herpes for over 8 years now and it took me a very long time to figure it all out, what it was, what I could do about it, treatment and triggers.

Lysine is good to take, a lot of members here use that with a lot of success. Some people take kelp, olive leaf extract and all kinds of things. Top of the list for me is a supplement of vitamin C. My new doctor put me onto that. She also said to always wear sunscreen with a high SPF content. Since then, I am very happy to say I have not had an outbreak. I take 3 vitamin C tablets a day and other members here also swear by it. What works for one person though may not necessarily work for another, but there is certainly no harm in trying these things. My moisturiser has a built in sunscreen and I don't go anywhere without that on. As you get cold sores on your lips, also invest in a lip balm with sunscreen and be sure to apply it always. How regular are your outbreaks? I was having at least 3 a month so eventually had to go on suppressive therapy. I would also suggest eating well, exercising and getting plenty of sleep. They will help you build a strong immune system and that is our best defense against herpes.

You have the right attitude as far as getting on with your life is concerned :D It was nice to read that you have many interests and even know what you would like to do when you finish college. Strive for that and don't let a thing like cold sores stop you doing anything!

EClaire

Hi AquariusAngel!

I'm thrilled to hear more suggestions! Right now I think I'll see what the Lysine does for my breakouts... Honestly they are relatively infrequent, but I hate them so much that I would always prefer less of them. The last time I had one before today was so long ago that I don't know where my Abreva went... I would say I went nearly a year between my last outbreak and my current one. I can also practically pinpoint why I got this one. My holiday stress levels were high, I didn't moisturize my lips enough, and I had lots of chocolate for Christmas... which I guess is a no-no :(

Adding a daily lip balm with sunscreen is definitely going to be my next step. I think I found a great one today, if anyone else can attest to it, I'd love to know... It was Blistex Five Star, I'm not sure I'm allowed to post a link but it apparently defends your lips against dryness, cold, wind, heat and sun. It's also SPF 30! I just want to see if I can find a coupon then I'll probably pick it up tomorrow :)

Your last 3 bits of advice are all on my list of New Year's resolutions... I know I should be eating better, sleeping more, and exercising. It's stuff I've known I need to work on for a long time, but the best medicine for sticking to resolutions is having support. Luckily I have that in my life and hopefully in this great community :)

dnoodle

I am new to this as well and am anxiously waiting for the results. Is it possible to have herpes without blisters? I have seen none rather I have a single sore on the shaft of my penis. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks

AquariusAngel

EClaire: that is good to hear that you aren't a frequent sufferer of cold sores. I would definitely have to agree with you there - that a combination of stress, not enough UV protection and lots of chocolate gave you your last outbreak. Some people here react to chocolate really badly while others could eat it for breakfast, lunch and tea and it wouldn't trigger an outbreak. I just try to keep my intake to a minimum. Everything in moderation as they say!

I hadn't heard of the Blistex 5 star, but being blistex it has got to be good. Don't worry, I don't do enough of those last 3 bits of my advice either lol. I tend to preach it but not practise it enough myself!

dnoodle: welcome to you also. Yes herpes can certainly present without any visible symptoms such as lesions or blisters. It is called being asymptomatic. Regarding the test results you are waiting on..how long ago were you exposed to the virus possibly? Were you blood tested or swab tested?