World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Firehorsewoman

Anyone out there take Acyclovir three times per day for suppressive therapy?

Firehorsewoman

I would like to know if there is anyone out there that is taking Acyclovir 400 mg three times per day for suppressive therapy.

I've been on 400mg acyclovir twice a day for at least six months and still have small OBs and occasional itch. When I am having an actual OB I go back on valacyclovir (generic Valtrex) but once it subsides go back on acyclovir due to cost.

I went to a new PCP today for an unrelated issue, and she also does women's health and gynecology. She suggested trying 400 mg three times a day to see if we can eliminate the OBs completely.

Would like to hear from others that take (or have previously taken) acyclovir three times per day.

thanks!

Truly Scrumptious

Hi Firehorsewoman, I went to the doc's yesterday to try and finally clear up what seems to be a constant OB since when I was 1st diagnosed back in Oct. He gave me Acyclovir 400 mg three times per day for 5 days plus gave me a repeat prescription to carry on taking if it doesn't clear. I asked him about suppressive therapy and could I carry on taking this dose long term. He was happy for me to do so. So onwards and upwards......let see how this works, hopefully it does.

Best wishes

TS

Firehorsewoman

Thanks for sharing TS. I hope that it works for you. My first real OB went on for months and would not go away until I took

1 gram valacyclovir twice per day.

I'm going to stay on the 400mg acyclovir for a few months and see if I can remain totally OB free.

Good luck with yours and I hope that it ends soon.

Fire-

rilokiley7

I take Acyclovir 400mg. When I am actively having an outbreak or feel any "triggers" (itching, tingling, pain in my legs/lower back/ glutes) I up the dose to 3 times/day. Then, when they subside - I just take it 2x per day. I was just reading over the effects of your diet, sleep and stress on your OBs. I am definitely going to be taking the supplements recommended in combination with my anti-viral meds to see if that lessens the frequency of my OBs. I don't think the meds are a "cure all." You have to change your life-style a bit too... It is hard not to be stressed though when you are told you have HSV! So - yoga, mani/pedis, and any down-time you can muster for yourself is a MUST! (I should talk - I run myself ragged, get on avg 5 hrs of sleep a night and pump myself full of coffee!) "Do what I say, not what I do" - Right!? :)

greentea

Acyclovir worked at first for me but then it seemed to stop working or not working very well. If you're still getting outbreaks when taking it daily I'd recommend taking something else instead of or, at least, as well as. I found the lysine diet was hard to stick to and didn't really have the desired results. 100mg of resveratrol twice a day has stopped my outbreaks completely so far, fingers crossed, and that's all I take as a suppressant. It's also very good for you. Also, a lot of people on here seem to have had very favourable results from oil of oregano.

Misery

I just started taking Valacyclovir 3 days ago. I was prescribed 1Gram twice a day for 3 days from my gyn. I went to my pcp and got a regular 30 day Rx for 1Gram once a day. I have not seen a difference I am still very itchy and I have the dry patchy spots which I assume to be an ob for me. IDK if this is normal or if it will get better and all of the itching and tingling will stop.

camomile
100mg of resveratrol twice a day has stopped my outbreaks completely so far, fingers crossed, and that's all I take as a suppressant. It's also very good for you. Also, a lot of people on here seem to have had very favourable results from oil of oregano.

I'm having a go at oil of oregano soon though resveratrol is mentioned as anti-cancer in medical papers. I'm not sure how oil of oregano works. xx