World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
ChrissyLynn87

herpes linked to cervical cancer?

ChrissyLynn87

I was reading on the internet that genital herpes has been linked to cervical cancer, is this really true? It is kind of making me feel freaked out because I have not been to a doctor since February 2008.

Also can genital herpes cause pain in your cervix/pelvic area? I have been having some pain there a few times here and there for a few months now . My mom says it is normal and all women get it and nothing to worry about but I seem to have become paranoid and think I may now have cervical cancer.

I have no insurance and there is no free clinic, there is one where we are moving to in PA which will late next month or early March and I plan on making and appointment right away even though I am totally terrified something will come back wrong

Tiny

I'm not sure if this will help you but it certainly helped me. I read in the New Scientist that 98% of people will get cancer--if something else doesn't kill them first. We are complicated machines and things are bound to go wrong. Living life worrying about the inevitable means you miss out on the wonderfulness that each day brings.

There is a lot of information on the internet and lots of it is wrong. Also it seems that Dr don't know a whole lot about it either. Your best course of action is to get the test you need for piece of mind--which is sounds like you can do soon. Get a pap smear, get your herpes typed...then you will know what is causing your pelvic pain...there are lots of other things that can. If it is in the middle of your cycle it could just be ovulation!

I wouldn't worry about the herpes causing cervical cancer, it is far more common from HPV.

Don't let fear ruin you life...be brave...and get your answers!

ChrissyLynn87

I have both genital and oral herpes. I should be getting my menstrual cycle on the 14th

MsLucy

I read years ago that multiple sexual partners could also contribute to the liklihood of getting cervical cancer. Considering my wild and wooly youth (I came of age in the 60's... 'nuff said ;)) I figured I was doomed. :shock:

Then an oncologist (who smoked 3 packs a day, BTW) told me that either you have the gene or you don't. If you do, it won't matter what you do or don't do, you'll end up with cancer. If you don't, you won't. Maybe he was right, maybe not. But he was, after all, an ocologist, so I did give what he said some credence. Ever since then, I quit worrying. I figure it this way... everybody's going to die from something. If cancer doesn't get you, eventually something else will. It's a given. Nobody gets a free pass.

Rather than drive yourself crazy over it, save up your pennies and go have a pap test done. The peace of mind will be worth the few trips to Starbucks and a couple nights out you'll have to sacrifice, won't it? Then you can relax and put it out of your mind.

HC-Support-Team

Hey Chrissy,

This is an excerpt from an article written by Terri Warren that you may find useful. She is a very respected practitioner in the field of herpes and this is taken from a seminar educating Doctors about how to counsel patients with HSV:

"Herpes is not life threatening, it's 1 in 4 people, it's really common. They can still have children safely. They can still be sexual. It's not linked with cervical cancer. The early studies showed a link but those studies were not able to sort out human papillomavirus (HPV) from the mix. When we took out HPV, we found that HSV is not linked with cervical cancer, and be sure to reassure patients, because what they hear in the media is something with an H causes cervical cancer. We have HPV, hepatitis B virus (HBV), hepatitis C virus (HCV), human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), and HSV. There's too much, and they can't sort it out."

ChrissyLynn87

thanks for the responses. I did some more researching online and found that certain soaps can cause infections in the cervix and I used dove soap down there early last week then like two days later the pain in my cervix started so I am thinking that is what the cause is right now

wwdamron

In 2002 a study was done to evaluate the link between Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV-2) and Cancer. The research was carried out by a team at the research for the International Agency for Research on Cancer. The results were published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.

The study included over 1,200 women with invasive cervical cancer and 1100 women who didn’t have cancer. The study involved women from 7 separate countries and looked at the 2 types of cancer mentioned above. The women underwent a range of tests, which included looking at viruses, antibodies, blood and cytology (examination of cells from the cervix), and biopsy of the cervix. They found HSV-2 antibodies in 44% of the women who had cancer and in 25% of the women without cancer. HPV DNA was found in 90% of the women with cancer and in 14% of those without cancer.