Lost faith in nhs...especially when it comes to down there!!

Sunshine77

Hi,

I'm sick to death of this.....went to the doctors again!!!!!! Apparently the papercut is not herpes, but whatever it was has actually healed but seems to have left scarring. Err, how did that happen just from oral sex..... and it's never really itched either so I haven't been scratching the wound at all.

Nothing has really changed in the 5 months, (feels like it's getting worse if anything) still feels sore now and then especially near that papercut area, particularily near period and if drinking alcohol. The nurse practitioner has taken a swab to check for candia (yeast and bacterial infection). It's been 5 long months of visits to the doctors, sexual health clinic and I'm sure they think it's all in my mind. I'm sick of health care professionals attitudes and lack of knowledge of what herpes is or getting to the route of the problem.

I explained other symptoms, e.g. acne on chest which I've never had before, muscle pain, cramping in feet/hands (not all the time) bruises that seem to last forever on legs and I feel like skin in other areas don't heal quicker enough. Also blood shot eyes too and I even had a few mouth ulcers a few months back.....my immune system has been comprimised by something, and I think it's more than stress....probably all the antibiotics didn't help for the staph infection.

Could I have a systematic yeast infection..... So, the next stage I suppose is blood tests for diabetes, anaemia or to check for a vitamin deficiency even. All my tests for hiv, chlamydia, syphilis and all the other sti's came back negative (some I've done twice!) and I even had the papercut swabbed about 6 weeks ago.

Sadly I've not had sex for years.... but never realised the risk with oral sex, stupid really.

Sorry for moaning, but I find this site so informative and a breath of fresh air :)

I've met a really nice guy, but I'm obviously really paranoid about all this stuff going on

sunshine xx

I haven't heard of anyone else talking about something like a paper cut like abrasion as an outbreak symptom but I had the same thing each time I had an outbreak but my tests came back positive.

Hey. Yeah, I probably shouldn't moan about the nhs, but sometimes it get's frustrating lol. Yeah, had papercut swabbed a while back, but all this stuff seems on going to be honest. The nurses/doctors says it's not herpes, I guess this papercut might have got infected which could explain some symptoms. But according to the nurse it's now healed, yet that side still doesn't seem right.

TMO, just wondered if you have hsv 1 or 2??? what other symptoms did you get at the beginning and during an outbreak??

Sunshine xx

JbnATL: I don't know, the nhs its not entirely bad. It gives universal health care to anybody who is actually in the UK...which as far as I am concerned is a basic human right--if you are over there on a working holiday and break your leg the nhs will fix you up for no charge...which is pretty generous really. In Australia we have a similar system supplemented by medical insurance (as the UK does)...all this means is that if you don't want to wait three years for surgery for a none life threatening condition you can either pay or, if you have it, use your medical insurance and have it done sooner. The upside is that nobody gets bankrupt from having cancer or a car accident. When I found out what my friend was paying for routine medical treatment in the US I nearly cried...it appears from the outside that in the US medical treatment is a luxury and also very dependent on what state you live in! In Australia when I finally found the right place (in regards to my herpes), I got the right testing...and it is all free...so when I go for my second Western Blot next month it is with relief that I live in a country with a national health care system (which to be honest was a priority for me when I immigrate from South Africa...which does not have one).

That being said I was also disappointed with my experience in the UK through the nhs, when treating herpes. They didn't even tell me what it was and gave me the ointment for eye herpes to put on my vjayjay (that was 9 years ago). However the attitude that herpes is a minor condition is fairly universal--most of GPs, nurses and gynos that I have consulted in Oz have ben very poorly informed. The fact is that not a lot of medical professionals have a comprehensive knowledge of herpes--especially if it is presenting in a non-standard way. Which is probably to be expected given how many thousand of diseases and conditions there are all with long lists of standard symptoms. I suppose despite the uncertainty and frustration, sunshine 77, at least you don't have to pay for all the appointments and testing...and ultimately you will get to the bottom of it! It seems what you need is a blood test to check if you have antibodies for herpes...then you will know for sure, although I think they are hard to get in the UK. Good luck :-)

I'd definitely get them to check for vitamin deficiencies too...I just got diagnosed for a chronic vitamin d deficiency and it really messed with my system. Hair loss, depression, weight loss, lethargy, difficulty healing...which has improved a lot since I started taking sun orally.

There is always hope...sometimes you have to look very hard to find it though...but it's there!

Hi,

I tend to go private over here in Ireland. There is public clinics available but don't offer blood tests etc. Private can be very costly though.

vTiny I see you mentioned Western Blot test, where do you get this done?

Hey vtiny,

There definitetly seems to be a lack of knowledge out there in the medical profession regarding the herpes condition...it doesn't help with the fact that blood specific testing is not routine in the nhs either, which is ridiculous as it jsut contributes to the spread and raises the totally wrong stigma!!! Anyone with oral herpes has the potential to cause a genital infection, but also vice versa. Yet, it's okay to have cold sores but shit to have this genitally regardless of how you acquired it......it's all about the location, which is so not right.

Yes, I guess I an lucky that I don't have to pay for all my visits to clinics/doctors etc and really should just go for an anti bodies test. Thanks for your information and I will also be checking for vitamin deficiencies too and I'm also glad that you're feeling better now :)

And Corcy...these private blood tests are definitely costly that's for sure!!!

sunshine x

Hi.

I am also male UK based and had 'interesting' for want of a better word with our trusty National Health System.

GUM clinic

First port of call back in July '09 with 'classic' symtoms including blisters / spots. Consultant visually diagnosed within 5 seconds, took a swab and said, 'I'm afraid you've got herpes'. Gave me a booklet and some pills (5 days worth) and sent me on my merry way. Anyway, phoned clinic three weeks later and swab came back negative (commonplace from my knowledge now). They said not to worry and to go back if anything like that popped up again. Fair enough I thought, and tried to move on.

Went back in September still experiencing pain / rash, and told to come back for blood test (after nagging him!) in Oct 09. Had blood test at GUM clinic and negative (not sure of type). Been back many many times since (probably 5 or 6) and last visit, the same original consultant said I don't have herpes but couldn't explain the symptoms, rash etc. I even asked him about what I need to say to future partners and he said nothing as I am okay.

Urologist

Been to urologist lots of times - had all sorts of things done, usually in a two minutes quick visit :( and then fobbed off with some pills. Still no joy.

GP

Well, he is clueless. He said there isn't even a blood test for Herpes! I've had to get him to draw the blood which I've sent to the Herpes Virus Association who then send it to the Health Protection Agency for analysis. I had this done in Jan 09 and going to try and get the doc to draw blood again for another in morning. That will be my third blood test. :confused::confused:

Basically, the NHS don't see it as a big deal, and therefore, in my opinion, are unwilling to do blood testing as they don't want me to get a proper diagnosis.

Nightmare.

Absolutely bloody nightmare.

Hey,

It does sound like a bloody nightmare.....I know herpes can resemble many different conditions and even symptoms such as blisters/spots etc. Had you had the rash tested for staph infection at all during that time? Might also be worth getting an referral to a dermatologist perhaps too. It's the not knowing that is so awlful and although herpes is manageable it is not actually cureable so you need to be properly diagnoised!!! It's crazy that gp's make out it's not a big deal, yet there is stigma relating to this mainly because they don't actually routine test and half the people don't knoW they have the virus!!!!

By the way, how did you get to see a urologist...was that by a gp referral?

Sunshine x

Hey,

It does sound like a bloody nightmare.....I know herpes can resemble many different conditions and even symptoms such as blisters/spots etc. Had you had the rash tested for staph infection at all during that time? Might also be worth getting an referral to a dermatologist perhaps too. It's the not knowing that is so awlful and although herpes is manageable it is not actually cureable so you need to be properly diagnoised!!! It's crazy that gp's make out it's not a big deal, yet there is stigma relating to this mainly because they don't actually routine test and half the people don't knoW they have the virus!!!!

By the way, how did you get to see a urologist...was that by a gp referral?

Sunshine x

Had no more cultures / swabs done by anyone despite showing gp / gum consultant / urologist etc. They all dismiss it! Wouldn't mind but my penis never used to look like this! :(

Yeah, got referred by my gp, well had to blag him! I've sent a derm too and waiting to see another, but waiting list is long for them on NHS.

After this blood draw tomorrow (hopefully the GP will do as thinks I am nuts!!), I don't know where to go if it's negative as I've already been on 'trial by treatment' for aciclovir for few months to see if it helps with symptoms - no joy!!!!

Really, really in no man's land.

Perhaps it could be a staph infection maybe......if it was herpes shouldn't aciclovir help/ease the symptoms that you're experiencing??

Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

sunshine x

• 7 months later...
Perhaps it could be a staph infection maybe......if it was herpes shouldn't aciclovir help/ease the symptoms that you're experiencing??

Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

sunshine x

Evening all,

Another 7 months on and still no joy! In fact, getting worse and I really can't handle this.

Got another appointment at GUM clinic tomorrow, where they will probably be no help!!

What are other people (UK based) views of the GUM clinic and how to get them to help you?!

I am really struggling :(

• 1 month later...
Evening all,

Another 7 months on and still no joy! In fact, getting worse and I really can't handle this.

Got another appointment at GUM clinic tomorrow, where they will probably be no help!!

What are other people (UK based) views of the GUM clinic and how to get them to help you?!

I am really struggling :(

Hi there

I know what it is like here in the UK as I have had H for 27 years now. I have to say that our GPs are very ill informed about the virus and I suffered in silence having self diagnosed from a book way back in 1984!! My original doc did give me Zovirax cream at the time but said "we don't like to call it that" when I asked if I had Herpes!!! I was so embarrassed and felt like a leper that I didn't consult a GP for many years.

My breakthrough came just over a year ago when I was getting constant OBs. I went to a locum Doc who admitted she knew very little on the subject and recommended I go to the local Gum Clinic.

I have to say I found it so hard going throught those doors for the first time and I shed a fair few tears when I had to show the doc there my rather large, painful sore on my buttock!!

For the first time, I felt I was being treated with some respect and understanding, they swabbed the sore (yep that hurt!!) and took blood (came back positive for HSV2) After taking down my history they put me on suppressive meds (Acyclovir) which is free of charge and I just pop back every 6 months for another refill.

I have to say that the clinic have been a godsend to me and I'm sorry you have not had the answers you want from yours but I guess there is always the chance that you do not actually have H. Perhaps you could try going to a different clinic to see if they manage to get to the bottom (excuse the pun!) of your problem.

I wish you all the best x