World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Teacher Man

Doctor: "We can no longer ignore the truth about Herpes!!"

Teacher Man

Here's an interesting article by a doctor on the prevalance of Herpes

in the black community in America. Wow! These numbers are startling.

I like the fact that this doctor (and others) are sounding the alarm and

raising awareness. Even more importantly, hopefully it will encourage

people to donate money towards a cure. I really believe we may see

one in our lifetimes! If you haven't donated a few bucks, think about

doing so...to Duke or the Univ. of FL. They continue to make real progress.

http://newsone.com/nation/newsonestaff1/leading-black-doctor-we-cant-ignore-truth-about-herpes/

dinki

The most scary part of this is that HSV increases your risk of getting HIV by 2 or 3 times! i really dont care for the statistics! People with HSV are still in the minority until half the population is infected would the CDC take action.

Forgiving1

These numbers are startling but I wish they would deal with the disease within all communities rather than pin-pointing the black community as if other races aren't affected. I'm a black woman as you know and caught it from a white man. I hope that the doctors can make progress with coming up with a cure in our lifetime.

camomile

I have to say, I do so admire doctors who are not afraid of speaking out for their patients...

xx

Teacher Man

I agree...viruses definitely don't discriminate. Maybe it's just because I'm paying more attention, but the medical and

science communitydoes seem to be very active in pursuing a cure and new treatments based on the recent breakthroughs.

It makes me wish I were wealthy so that I could donate a ton of money! Ha!

In the meantime, I guess we can all do our little part by spreading the word, speaking out, and just being there for others.

It does make me feel good to dontate knowing that it makes a real difference (I believe it will!).

And yes, Camomile, the more doctors who speak out the more attention they draw to the issue.

One day at a time....

norcallove
The most scary part of this is that HSV increases your risk of getting HIV by 2 or 3 times! i really dont care for the statistics! People with HSV are still in the minority until half the population is infected would the CDC take action.

What is the source for this statistic? I am just wondering. I haven't read or really heard much about this. I have just seen this mentioned in a few posts on here. I just don't understand how HSV would increase your risk of getting HIV, I mean don't you have to be in contact with the virus to get HIV. Sorry, I just really wanted to know about this since I've seen it mentioned a few times.

Kitty123

yes you are right Norcallove,

You have to be in contact with someone who has been infected with HIV (and you either need to be having an outbreak or have a break in the skin), to allow the HIV virus to get into your blood. Something along those lines.

Kitty123

..to add to that...

HSV does not BECOME HIV, and you cannot contract HIV if there is no source to contract it from.

norcallove
yes you are right Norcallove,

You have to be in contact with someone who has been infected with HIV (and you either need to be having an outbreak or have a break in the skin), to allow the HIV virus to get into your blood. Something along those lines.

Thank you for clarifying Kitty :) That is what I thought.

dinki
What is the source for this statistic? I am just wondering. I haven't read or really heard much about this. I have just seen this mentioned in a few posts on here. I just don't understand how HSV would increase your risk of getting HIV, I mean don't you have to be in contact with the virus to get HIV. Sorry, I just really wanted to know about this since I've seen it mentioned a few times.

HSV DOES INCREASE YOUR RISK OF GETTING HIV BECAUSE :People who have genital herpes may be more likely to acquire HIV than those who don't have the virus. Genital herpes and HIV can both be sexually transmitted. During an outbreak of genital herpes, CD4 cells, which fight against the herpes infection, are found at the base of the herpes sore. These cells are the main cells attacked by HIV. Therefore, if you have recurrent genital herpes sores and are exposed to HIV during sexual contact, HIV can find an easy entry into the body. You can read more here http://std.about.com/od/herpes/f/hsvtreatmentHiv.htm

Obviously when i said it increases your risk, i meant u have to be with an HIV infected individual, it doesnt just fly into your system neither did i say or imply that HSV can change to HIV.

secondly you don't only have to be having an outbreak or cut in your skin, because the cells that help fight off your outbreak remain in that spot long after your outbreak is over and these are the cells that HIV primarily infects so u might not have a visible outbreak and come in contact with an HIV infected individual and contract it after all HIV is not written on the face and a lot of us don't request a written proof of HIV test before engaging in sexual acts...

im just saying now we have this disease we need to be a lot more careful because we are at a higher risk of a worse one!

norcallove

Thank you. Like I said, I haven't read much or heard much about it. So, thank you very much for the information. I didn't say that you said it would just fly into your system. I was just trying to understand. That is why I asked my question. Sorry if it offended you, I truly was just curious and wanted to know more about it. So, thank you for the clarification and the link. I appreciate it.

dinki
Thank you. Like I said, I haven't read much or heard much about it. So, thank you very much for the information. I didn't say that you said it would just fly into your system. I was just trying to understand. That is why I asked my question. Sorry if it offended you, I truly was just curious and wanted to know more about it. So, thank you for the clarification and the link. I appreciate it.

I'm sorry, i might have been a little harsh i guess i just felt like i was being dismissed! but yea ure welcome, we are all trying to learn!

norcallove
I'm sorry, i might have been a little harsh i guess i just felt like i was being dismissed! but yea ure welcome, we are all trying to learn!

I'm sorry if you felt like you were being dismissed. That was not my intent at all! I just hadn't read/heard much about it so I wanted additional information. Thanks again :)

Sabrina32

the medical community should be ashamed the way they dismiss hsv as no big deal.