World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
sunshine4me

Shingles????

sunshine4me

My tests haven't come back yet, but I know I have an OB. A couple genital areas. I am still pretty upset and getting so tired of the discomfort and flu like symptoms. Now I believe I am coming down with shingles???? Has anyone out there had this happen to them. Does having HC put you in a category for high risk of shingles??? I am experiencing right side burning, discomfort. I feel it in the nerves. It begins in my back near waist line area and radiates towards my ribcage, also down my thigh. No real rash as of yet! I am contemplating calling my doctor to begin treatment just in case, I don't want full blown shingles. IN A DILEMA!

Tiny

I don't think there is a link between HSV and shingles. I think to be at risk of developing shingles you have to have had chicken pox sometime in your past.

I am pretty sure they use acycloviar for treating herpes and shingles--so two for one!

Although in my experience I get nerve pain and numbness down my left thigh when I have an outbreak.

package deal

There is no link between hepies and shingles at all. shingles has to do with chicken pox. if you have ever had chicken pox in your life you can get shingles. incidently if you have shingles be very careful as you would be contagious and give chicken pox to anyone who never had chicken pox. shingles occurs in people who had chicken pox at sometime in their life and stress can bring about the shingles

hopes this helps

package deal

here is a article concerning shingles

Shingles - Topic Overview

What is shingles?

Shingles (herpes zoster) is a viral infection of the nerve roots. It causes pain and often causes a rash camera.gif on one side of the body, the left or right. The rash appears in a band, a strip, or a small area. Shingles is most common in older adults and people who have weak immune systems because of stress, injury, certain medicines, or other reasons. Most people who get shingles will get better and will not get it again.

What causes shingles?

Shingles occurs when the virus that causes chickenpox starts up again in your body. After you get better from chickenpox, the virus "sleeps" (is dormant) in your nerve roots. In some people, it stays dormant forever. In others, the virus "wakes up" when disease, stress, or aging weakens the immune system. It is not clear why this happens. But after the virus becomes active again, it can only cause shingles, not chickenpox.

You can't catch shingles from someone else who has shingles. But a person with a shingles rash can spread chickenpox to another person who hasn't had chickenpox and who hasn't gotten the chickenpox vaccine.

What are the symptoms?

Shingles symptoms happen in stages. At first you may have a headache or be sensitive to light. You may also feel like you have the flu but not have a fever.

Later, you may feel itching, tingling, or pain in a certain area. That’s where a band, strip, or small area of rash may occur a few days later. The rash turns into clusters of blisters. The blisters fill with fluid and then crust over. It takes 2 to 4 weeks for the blisters to heal, and they may leave scars. Some people only get a mild rash, and some do not get a rash at all.

It’s possible that you could also feel dizzy or weak, or you could have long-term pain or a rash on your face, changes in your vision, changes in how well you can think, or a rash that spreads. If you have any of these problems from shingles, call your doctor right away.

How is shingles treated?

There is no cure for shingles, but treatment may help you get well sooner and prevent other problems. Call your doctor as soon as you think you may have shingles. The sooner you start treatment, the better it works. Treatment may include:

• Antiviral medicines to help you get well sooner and feel less pain.
  • Medicines to help long-term pain. These include antidepressants, pain medicines, and skin creams.

Good home care can help you feel better faster. Take care of any skin sores, and keep them clean. Take your medicines as directed. And use over-the-counter pain medicines to relieve pain.

Denise 07

My mother just got shingles last year and is still dealing with the pain. She has to take pain meds 3 x a day now. She has also suffered from memory loss but she thinks that may be from the meds not shingles. She said she feels terrible alot during the day. It sounds terrible to have this and I had the chicken pox when I was child so I could get this too. I plan on getting the vaccine for it once I'm of age to do so. I think you have to be 50 or 60 to get the vaccine and I'll be 40 next month. I hope you don't have shingles and I hope you will feel better soon!

package deal

shingles does not cause any memory loss. Your mother memory loss is due to other factors . in which case if her memory loss seems to get worse consult your mothers doctor.. shingles does not cause memory loss however some meds have sideeffects do

camomile

Although in my experience I get nerve pain and numbness down my left thigh when I have an outbreak.

I get that myself. Horrific.................... xx

camomile

I did keep saying before, that there are people who think they got "shingles" whilst in fact they have herpes. I kid you not.

Denise 07

Yes I know it doesn't cause memory loss it's the pain meds that have this for a side effect. She has to take them 3 x a day. I hope that she doesn't get addicted to the pain meds either.