World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
misshoneybee

suppressive meds... Why not?

misshoneybee

I was diagnosed just over a month ago at a local clinic (I'm in the UK). She have me 5 days worth of acyclovir, the numbing cream and sent me on my way. When I asked about suppressive treatment, she said I didn't need it. (I'll be the judge of that, thanks.)

I took the pills and and went to see my own doctor about suppressive meds. I was told again that I didn't need them, even after explaining that my partner does not have herpes.

Yesterday I went to see another doctor. I explained I had been researching ways to prevent or reduce the risk of infecting my partner, and that suppressive meds help.

"I don't want to give you anything that will harm you."

What harm? Surely if I give my partner herpes, that's harming him? I don't see why they are all so against this. I don't want to infect him (he knows there is a risk anyway)but surely doing all I can to reduce the risk is the responsible thing to do?

I will try another clinic next week, wish me luck! But can anyone tell me why they are so reluctant to give me this? What harm is he talking about?

Misery

IDK why they won't prescribe the meds for you. Maybe you should tell them you have frequent painful obs once or twice a month. Make is sound really bad and like you can't cope at all. Its worth a try! Good Luck!

misshoneybee

If needs be, I will lie, but I'd rather not have to. I don't understand why I have to consider lying just to try to reduce the risk to my partner.

Truly Scrumptious

HI, i'm also in the UK and visited a GP this week. I have to say he was lovely and printed me off info to read, gave me double prescription 5 days of acyclovir to take now and 5 days to hold back if I needed them, plus a repeat prescription. When I asked about suppressive treatment he was happy for me to carry on taking. 400mg 3 times a day. I do think you should try another Dr or even go the GUM clinic. Some stories on here about how health professionals treat people makes my blood boil, but as proof for me this week, there are some good guys out there.

Good luck

TS

misshoneybee

Another doctor, still nothing. I'm now having mysecond OB (started last night)and have no meds. I'll be calling the doctor tomorrow morning.

Bababooey

I think it is very irresponsible for a Dr. to not prescribe you medicine that will ease your pain and reduce the risk of spreading the disease. You should visit as many docs as you need to until you find one that will do the right thing.

justcaz87

I'm in Australia so I gather the laws might be different.

For my first OB I was prescribe a high dose of valtrex.

I'm experiencing now my 6th outbreak and it is the worst i've ever had.

I'd already been examined on my first OB and diagnosed I assumed I didn't have to be again.

I was wrong.

Everytime I have a documented outbreak I have to be swabbed and have the contents sent away for testing.

Basically the reason this is the case is because of the governments laws on prescribtion medicine.

We have a PBS system here which makes a large number of required medications a lot cheaper than they would normally be.

I was crying during the exam and asked about supressive therapy.. I have to have a large number of DOCUMENTED cases before they will consider supressive therapy....

My doctor sort of found a cheat way of doing it..

She prescribed me famvir which is working but only 125mg for 5 days. Hopefully this is enough to clear my outbreak.

The tablets come in at $34.20 for 40 which means i'll have enough to treat 7 additional outbreaks.

Surely your doctor would be willing to compramise, I haven't done extensive research on supressive medications but maybe you should do your research. I definatly understand that you don't want to pass it on but if there could be real long term risks associated i'd check it out.

Mark604

It is difficult to get it I live i'n Canada one doctor wouldn't prescribe it to me but the next one gave me a year prescription no problem but most don't seem to care and think it's no big deal to have herpes......

struggle83

Welcome to the world of herpetic hipocracy. Obviously the hippocratic oath does not pertain to HSV.

Ok, that's dramatic but there is this lack of concern by the medical institution regarding HSV. So far we haven't been able to explain it. The cynical will say doctors don't care. The realistic will say it's nothing to be too worried about. I sure would like to see what those doctors say if they were infected. Probably wouldn't change anything.

That is why people on this forum are trying to change things...please join our efforts.

Almosthere

Personally I would recommend episodic therapy over suppressive therapy. When I take acyclovir i can feel the weight of the medicine in my system. I am not sure what damage it does or will do but i just dont like the feeling when i take those medicines. Long term damage has been seen in patients like kidney damage and hair loss. check these links out

http://www.askdocweb.com/acyclovir2.html

http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/messageforum/showthread.php?3220-Long-term-side-effects-from-acyclovir

http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=20487&name=VALTREX

I would say try biogetica natural medicines instead. since these worked for me I am so happy that i dont need to take acyclovir again. check out my thread. gl.

http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/messageforum/showthread.php?33713-Biogetica-Hyperisince-treatment-Works-It-worked-for-me-)

NotAgain

As opposed to seeing various doctors until you find the one that does what you WANT them to do, why don't you just ask the doctor what is the harm in the medication. Although doctors are morons like everybody else, they should be able to recite why it could harm you.

misshoneybee

I was told by a different doctor that suppressive medication hasn't been proven clinicallyto reduce shedding. Is this correct?