World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
BetrayedLady

Diagnosed Yesterday

BetrayedLady

Does anyone have any advice on how to tell someone?? Do I tell my family? Do I tell my best friend?? I'm so scared and I don't even know how to say it. I'm still so confused. My mind is running so fast, thinking about my future. A part of me is even still hoping that this isn't real.

oblong

I think it's likely that everyone goes through this isolated feeling when they are diagnosed. In terms of telling people, I think there's two issues. Firstly, in terms of protecting others, there's no real need to tell anyone unless it's likely that you're going to have sex with them. Secondly, in terms of your need to not feel isolated, at this stage, it's probably worth telling a close friend who you trust would never pass the information on and who will be a sympathetic ear - that provides you with someone to speak to face to face. I'd also definitely advise you to talk to people on here (the chat room is usually full of lively chat - it's quiet tonight though for some reason!) - that's the best way to reduce feelings of isolation and help you to start to come to terms with the fact that loads of people have herpes and isn't that big a deal.