World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
HOL11

New here...diagnosed 1/9/11

HOL11

Hello, I am a 22 year old female just diagnosed with genital herpes. I was diagnosed last night in the emergency room and the whole thing has been very traumatizing. I posted my full story in the "newly diagnosed" section, but just wanted to say hi here and that I'm glad theres a place to talk about these things with people who understand.

RLJ

Hello Hal11, and welcome to this site. I have only been on here a few days and found it verry helpful. Ther are many wonderful people here who are willing to and want to help you with any questions. I hope as you spend time here you find all you need.

norcallove

Hi Hol11 - Welcome to this site. :wavey: There is a lot of great information to the right and tons of supportive members who understand what you're going through. I was diagnosed with GHSV2 about 6 weeks ago. I'm a 26 year old female. I understand the emotional aspect of what you're going through. It is very hard in the beginning and an emotional roller coaster at times, but it does get better! It has gotten so much better for me since my diagnosis. This site helped me a lot, I hope it helps you as well. Honestly, the stigma around this seems to be the hardest part. Just remember you are the same exact person before this diagnosis and it is really just a common and mostly harmless skin condition. It helped me to think of it like that. Let me know if you have any questions or need someone to talk to. :)

I read your other post and wanted to comment on a few things on there as well. I don't know from who or when I got this. I haven't been with very many people, used protection, got tested (although now I know they don't include this test in the routine std tests even if you ask for everything), etc. While I don't know, I believe it was dormant for years. I know I was at least dormant for awhile since I had only been with my BF for 4 months when I had my 1st OB and no one for awhile before him (he does not have it). So, I know it can lay dormaint. I think like 70% of people don't show symptoms but can still pass it along, so I can understand how that can happen. You should have your fiance tested, if he doesn't have it you can look into taking antivirals which decrease the chance of passing it along. It is also harder for a women to pass it to a man. Read the links on the right, there is a lot of great info. Also, you can still have children. You just can't have a natural childbirth if you have an active OB at the time. I hope this helps a bit. One last thing, what I have learned the most is that everything about this virus seems to vary from person to person. So it is hard to judge what your future OBs will be like or how many you will have. The 1st one is pretty much always the worst though. Some people never have another one.

How were you diagnosed? Was it just visually? Visual diagnosis can be inaccurate, there are other things that can look like herpes. I hope they did a culture, that will give you the most accurate information. It can tell you if you are positive or not and what strain HSV1 or HSV2. Did they do a blood test? If so, was it an IgM or IgG? Sorry to ask so many questions (I was confused a bit when I was asked these questions at first, but they help). I am hoping you are starting to at least feel a little better. How is the physical pain? Are you having any problems and did they give you any medicine? I hope this post helps a little. Take care! Let me know if you have any questions. :flowers:

stilloptimistic

Some advice...

Remember that you are newly diagnosed and that you are going to obsess over this 24/7 for the next couple of months.. Its hard, but you will get thorught it.

After that time period, your mind will begin to accept the fact that you have it and you will begin to live normally. Herpes is really what you make of it. You can obssess and feel anger over it or you can accept the fact that you have it and move on. You are the controller of your mind.

Keep in mind that Herpes is NOTHING more than a exaggerated stigma - no different that someone having a cold sore on there lips. There are no health risks whatsoever. If you are like the vast majority of people, your outbreaks will continue on and off for the next 6 months and than your body will begin to surpress the virus. At that point, you will have few, if any, mild outbreaks that are nothing more than a minor trivial nuissance.

At the end of the day, you WILL realize that herpes is not a big deal! You will accept it. Just remember that time is the greatest healer of all time.

Its ok to cry and feel depressed right now.. You are coping with it and going through the mourning process.

So.. Just hang in there, you will eventually come out of this!

Ellekay1213

Welcome! I was just diagnosis a few months ago, right before my 24th birthday.

I wish I would have Come to the site sooner, as I've been trying to cope on my own. And my friends that know, just cannot really relate. It still upsets me but I know I will get better. My doctor has given me hope that there will be a cure one day and that my life will still go on. Hang in there. It's okay to cry. The best is to make yourself knowledgeable on the subject.