World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
SZN1023

Outbreak and Common Cold - triggers?

SZN1023

Hi everyone,

So I had my first outbreak (HSV-2 genital) about two months ago. The first blister appeared one day after I came down with a bad chest cold. Now I am having another outbreak, again one day after I started coming down with a head cold. My question is can the common cold trigger an outbreak?

And side question: because I am having my second outbreak so close to the last one might this be a sign that I am doomed to having frequent outbreaks?

Also this year is the first in about five years that I've had any kind of cold so I am wondering if HSV makes you more susceptible to common cold viruses? Probably not, I am guessing the converse if more likely, but I am suspicious now.

Thanks! I am NOT having a good week :(

nycgirl87

A cold can't common an outbreak I don't believe, but you get colds when your immune system is slightly down. In our case, that is often when outbreaks come on. So they aren't directly related, but they do go together in terms of immune system.

Amalia

My opinion is yes, getting a cold can cause an OB. When your immune system is already taxed with a cold virus, it will likely make it more dfiificult to keep the hsv under control. I had my first OB in months just before Christmas at the same time as getting a cold.

Also, getting 2 colds that soon together could just be coincidence.

I would suggest taking some vitamin C and other immune boosters to help with the cold. Rest and healthy food is a good idea too.

SZN1023

Thanks to both nycgirl87 and Amalia for your replies! I need to get on a vitamin program anyway so now's the perfect time.

brahmanett083229

when i get sick i usually have ob's...like they have said above, whenever ur immune system is weakened it causes ob's because it doesnt have the strength to fight off the infection but no i dont think hsv can cause you to get more colds

Shilo041509

As someone else had said, when your immune system gets low (from stress or infections like cold and flu), your herpes can come out to party. Far more than Vitamin C (which is only effective to a certain point, usually well before your body uses the 5000% or whatever in most supplements), I often use a cocktail of a couple of different things when I start getting sick. Even if I actually get sick, the duration isn't quite as long or severe, and my immune system isn't as taxed. Pick up some Airborne - it's got Vitamin C, zinc, lysine (an amino acid that acts as an antiviral), and some other stuff. It works really well, and I often will take even more lysine, because of its antiviral properties.

Basically, if you're tracking a pattern in your outbreaks, follow it and see if you can break it. For some people, it's the common cold. For others, it's stress. Just pay attention, and you'll get the hang of it!

SZN1023

Thanks Shilo,

I picked up some Airborne since we are in cold & flu season, and I really need to look into the Lysine supplement route as well as a standard preventative. I'm a little nervous about that one because I've read some mixed things about it messing up the body's amino acids in general, so I have to do my research. But know that I appreciate the input!

mortmaiden

Yes, it can. It certainly does for me. Having a cold lowers your immune system, meaning that the virus has a chance to surface. Most of my outbreaks have occurred when I've had a cold.

In the past, I worked in a public-facing job and got about 6 colds a year, so lots of outbreaks. Interestingly, since getting a job where people don't infect me with colds etc I haven't had a single outbreak. I can only assume my immune system must be stronger, either from less stress or from not constantly fighting off infection.

Livi

I noticed with my first OB I felt like I had a cold without sneezing, coughy, symtoms. But my body felt completely WEAK, Exhausted. I did not want to stand very long. Putting my hair into a ponytail took all my energy. I wanted to sleep all the time. I couldn't eat well.

JackieNo

I had the same thing with my first OB.. I had what felt like a really bad head cold with sneezing, swollen glands and all that fun stuff. I'm suffering from a cold now so I'm hoping an OB isn''t following.

hfighter

Yes, this happes to me tooo, If I fet common cold It's almost sure I will have an ob, I'm scared of getting the coomund cold now

camomile

Having a chronic H itself isn't good for one's immune system.

you read about ppl with H being far more susceptible to other infections like yeast and such, increase chances of catching hiv etc. One's body's defense can be lowered thanks to H reactivation.

xx

regret

having H only activates theyeast that is in your body to begin with. it has to do with your ph balance, your hormones are activated more while haveing H. and your chances of getting hiv i feel just the same as before you had H,