can it be

scaredandworried

i have genital herpes. can anyone that uses my towel get anything. i ask cause i have a four year old that touches everything. i just found out yesterday and am very afraid of passing this on. please help.

scaredandworried :(

Yes it is possible to pass it by sharing a towel.The herpes virus can live in a towel for a short amount of time,sorry can't remeber how long.Try and put "Mommies" towel on a hook where he can't reach or better yet use a clean dry towel after each bath or shower.they say you shouldn't dry the affected area with a towel anyway.I use a blowdryer set on low.It drys th area quite well and I'm not irritated by the roughness of a towel.

Do you bathe with your son?I heard the virus can pass though bath water if the water is not hot enough...again sorry I don't know the temp that kills the virus.A public pool or hot tub though is pretty safe b/c of the amounts of clhorine and all.

• 4 weeks later...

Everything I have read and all the reasearch I've done says that Herpes cannot be passed through towels, toilet seats...etc. The virus cannot live outside the body for any length of time. I wouldn't worry too much about it. My OB says that it's practically impossible for anyone to spread Herpes outside of sexual contact. I really don't think your child is in any type of danger here. Hope this helps!

i have genital herpes. can anyone that uses my towel get anything. i ask cause i have a four year old that touches everything. i just found out yesterday and am very afraid of passing this on. please help.

No, you can not pass herpes via a towel. If you are seriously worried about this just make sure you are not sharing your towel and throw the sucker in the laundry room as soon as you are done with it.

There is an excellent section on transmission over on www.westoverheights.com inside the updated herpes handbook. Check that out when you get a chance to. It's free to read right from the site and if you want you can even download the latest pdf version to keep on your own computer for free.

Merry CHRISTmas!!

Angela :D

Yes it is possible to pass it by sharing a towel.

Not likely ~ Where on Earth are you getting your information?

The herpes virus can live in a towel for a short amount of time,sorry can't remeber how long.

The herpes virus can live for a short amount of time on your kitchen counter top but that doesn't mean somebody is going to contract it from there... have you read the Updated Herpes Handbook over on www.westoverheights.com ? I would check that out when you get a chance to if I were you.

Try and put "Mommies" towel on a hook where he can't reach or better yet use a clean dry towel after each bath or shower.they say you shouldn't dry the affected area with a towel anyway.

What!? I've NEVER heard of that before.. What ever happened to patting the area dry?

I use a blowdryer set on low.It drys th area quite well and I'm not irritated by the roughness of a towel. Do you bathe with your son?I heard the virus can pass though bath water if the water is not hot enough...again sorry I don't know the temp that kills the virus.

You are wrong. You can not contract herpes via bath water.

A public pool or hot tub though is pretty safe b/c of the amounts of clhorine and all.

Again ~ you need to read up on the transmission section of that Updated Herpes Handbook.

Merry CHRISTmas!!

Everything I have read and all the reasearch I've done says that Herpes cannot be passed through towels' date= toilet seats...etc. The virus cannot live outside the body for any length of time. I wouldn't worry too much about it. My OB says that it's practically impossible for anyone to spread Herpes outside of sexual contact. I really don't think your child is in any type of danger here. Hope this helps!

I totally agree and hope the rest of you will take heart to this advice as well.

Merry CHRISTmas!!

Herpes transmission from a towel :?:

It's a possible, but highly unlikely scenario.Contracting the herpes virus from a damp towel! This could happen if an infected person rubs off a good amount of the virus onto a DAMP towel that is immediately used by an uninfected person, who then wipes it against his or her mucous membranes.

Dry off with a towel or blowdryer :?:

Drying off after a bath.Sure you can dry the area with a towel or pat the area dry if you like.It's safe enough to do.It's just a personal choice for me to use my blowdryer set on low b/c my sores are to painfull to touch even softly with my towel.

Angela my doctor told me about not sharing wet towels and a good friend passed on the blow dryer tip BTW :lol:

Did you know that contracting Herpes from a towel has about a 1% chance of happening....HIGHLY UNLIKELY...don't scare the poor woman by telling her something that is practically impossible in happening. :!:

The risk is very very low.My intention is not to scare anyone but to answer a question.If you re-read my answer you will see that I do mention the risk is highly unlikely!!

Angela my doctor told me about not sharing wet towels and a good friend passed on the blow dryer tip BTW :lol:

I hear ya -

It's always a good idea to keep your towels to yourself for sure!! This is a good practice to have even if you don't have herpes... ya know? :D

I too have heard of the blow dryer tip on the cool setting. It can certainly take the edge off an outbreak.

Patting it dry ever so slightly helps too!!

Merry CHRISTmas!!