World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
turtledude

Where are they all

turtledude

Hey everyone

This is my first post and I pose a question to you all. I have been living with cold sores for a little over a year now and luckily my outbreaks are few and far between, but unfortunately one has just started. But anyway, what I usually do when this happens is barricade myself in my room. And I have been wondering, is this what everyone else does? There are all these sites saying that anywhere from 25-90% of the adult population has HSV-1, and while I understand only a fraction of that percent actually exhibit cold sores I still wonder, why do I never see other people with cold sores? One would think with those kinds of numbers I would see someone with one at least once in a while.

So I am basically asking people's answers for to questions

1) Do you ever / how often do you see other people with cold sores

2) To what level do you "hide away" when you get a cold sore yourself

I look forward to your replies

Sincerely

~turtledude

RealisticGal

Not everyone "hides out"

Oh, yes, I have seen many facial cold sores "out and about." My aunt gets them fairly frequently. I recently found out my mom got them too, when she was young, but has not had one since before I was born (that's a long time ago!). Many of my friends have had them now and then. And I've occasionally noticed complete strangers frolicking about with them...out in the open.

So yes, I've seen many a cold sore on legs, walking around in public, almost as though they believed it is nothing but a stupid little virus that causes an occasional skin irritation.

;)

Have you tried any of the creams to help minimize the outbreaks?

Are you taking any antiviral medications?

turtledude

Thanks RealisticGal

As a matter of fact I do use some creams, abreva is my brand of choice, but of course they only do so much, and the only real treatment is time.

RealisticGal
Thanks RealisticGal

As a matter of fact I do use some creams, abreva is my brand of choice, but of course they only do so much, and the only real treatment is time.

What about the antiviral meds like acyclovir or valtrex? Do you use those?

lovelost2010

i do not get cold sores .but i have had friends with them i have met at least 10 people with it i know at least 6 people with 12 people with genital herpes. you will be surprised how much it is out there

Torontojayjay

Oh man I am going through the same thing. I just started getting cold sores last year. I feel so branded and depressed. You know I actually don't mind the outbreaks as they are not that bad. My biggest fear now is meeting someone special and passing it onto them.

I guess the best thing for me to do is find someone who is also afflicted with cold sores so there is no fear of tranemition.

So far I have tried the posative dating sites; however, I have been unsucsesfull because there never seems to be anyone with cold sores. Your right turtle, where are the other 80 percent?!?!?

MomOfThreeCats

I'm curious about this too. I never see anyone with cold sores. Where are they? Ever since I had my first OB last November, I've been on the outlook for cold sores. Have not seen a single one yet.

Kitty123

I do the same thing...I look at people and wonder "Do YOU have genital Herpes?"

chances are they don't, and I'm the only one.

What a bummer :( I feel so isolated sometimes

RealisticGal
I do the same thing...I look at people and wonder "Do YOU have genital Herpes?"

chances are they don't, and I'm the only one.

What a bummer :( I feel so isolated sometimes

Oh, but Kitty, you should play the counting game. When you are out in a crowd, just start counting the others.

1, 2, 3, GHSV, 1, 2, 3, GHSV, 1, 2...

movieloverhere

I see ALOT of people with cold sores! And, my pastor (who gets cold sores) is the one who told me to take Lysine when I start to get them. I never knew that it was herpes and frolicked my butt off when I had cold sores. I guess that could be why I now have it "downstairs" too. Now that I know, I look at people with the cold sores and think "holy crap, I wonder if they know that is herpes and that they can spread it!" (I want to tell them!) And, my pastor! Does HE realize? Eeeek! I don't even want to think about that. *shudder* And, I never hid out, cause I was clueless that it was anything that I might want to hide! lol

RealisticGal
I see ALOT of people with cold sores! And, my pastor (who gets cold sores) is the one who told me to take Lysine when I start to get them. I never knew that it was herpes and frolicked my butt off when I had cold sores. I guess that could be why I now have it "downstairs" too. Now that I know, I look at people with the cold sores and think "holy crap, I wonder if they know that is herpes and that they can spread it!" (I want to tell them!) And, my pastor! Does HE realize? Eeeek! I don't even want to think about that. *shudder* And, I never hid out, cause I was clueless that it was anything that I might want to hide! lol

I just want to say a few things about this.

• Many folks do not realize that their oral "cold sores" are caused by the herpes simplex virus, nor that they can be spread elsewhere.

• Your pastor is a human being, just like you. For the most part, they get married, have sex, raise kids, drive cars, go to the grocery store, envy their neighbors, get behind on their mortgages... the whole human deal.

• If he realizes that your oral cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus, then by definition your very human pastor also realizes that his are.

• So what's the big deal, then? He can't condemn you for this if he has any knowledge of what it really is. And if he does, then he is also (falsely) condemning himself.

There is no reason to hide out. Hold your head up. It seems, all of a sudden since you found out cold sores are herpes, you are feeling ashamed.

It is a virus, which ALL humans can get fairly easily. The virus does not discriminate. It does not pick on those who are "bad" or "dirty" or "shameful" or whatever. It chooses humans.

Welcome to the human race. :wavey:

sand dunes 12345
... why do I never see other people with cold sores?...

Hi

Well... there are two reasons why I think this forum question is good.

- It shows that every day people don't notice cold sores as much as we assume they do. When we have one, and look in the mirror, its all we see. A big giant cold sore. Surely thats what other people see too?

Wrong. We only see it because we're painfully conscious of it. Other people will look right past it.

- People are probably very good at hiding the cold sores.

Here are my personal techniques for hiding my cold sores. They work very well for me.

http://8-day-cold-sore-technique.blogspot.com/

To answer your questions.

1) I very rarely see people with cold sores.

2) Only on day 4,5 or 6 (before crusty scab comes off) do I try to cancel any social appointments and hide away. Usually I have to go to work which sucks, but I've just come to live with this, and it no longer bothers me much.

zena

I know how this feels only had a 3rd one alway very mild in 20 years now, so i cant complain I spose :)

Kitty123

You wanna know something? I've worked with this REAAAAAALLY cute guy for almost 5 years. And I *JUST* all of a sudden started seeing cold sores appear on his face. Matter of fact, the first one I ever saw was 1 month ago, he had a bandaid on it, and told me "Ugh...yeah...just a stubborn cold sore" - and then about a week ago, he had another and had a banddaid on it. I wonder if he's just freshly been infected. But I know the line of work we do (financial industry) - we've all been bogged down and stressed and sometimes i want to tell him (pssst...I have GH!) But I wouldn't DARE lol (and I secretly grin...because...well...THATS how prevalent it is!!)

I even went up to him and secretly showed him my bottle of lysine while he was suffering his oral OB and he smiled and said, "yeah, that stuff is awesome"

So yeah - people DO go out in public and they do live normal lives!

artgirl87

I ALWAYS wonder the same thing! I have NEVER seen anyone else with a coldsore (except my own mother, lol), and I swear I actually look! I've had them since I was little so I don't get them frequently, only about once a year. However, when I do get them its AWFUL. I actually have one (or two, rather) right now. My lips got extremely sunburnt last week and I think thats what brought it on. My lip/skin under my lip swells up, and I get a huge (or several smaller sores together) dime-sized sore, literally. I've caught on to numerous techniques to dry them up really quickly, but the "scabbed over" stage lasts forever. I generally won't look "normal" again until at least two weeks later. It's pretty much impossible to hide out for two weeks, so I suck it up and go on as usual- I mean its not like I can take 2 weeks off of work lol. I was just beginning to get the sores this weekend, and when my friend texted me and asked if I wanted to go out, I was really tempted to say I wasn't feeling well. Then I thought nope- not letting this control my life. Luckily they were still in the stage where they were fairly easy to cover up, and I went out and had a great time. Work has not been fun this week- I work with kids with no filter so they're constantly asking me what happened to my lip. No adults have asked me...which makes me think they realize what it is and aren't saying something (mine look so bad generally that people think I've been punched or something, lol). I'm no longer swollen and the sores have been scabbed over since Monday, but the scabby stage is the worst- I look disgusting! I tried concealer but it just sticks to the scab and you can tell the make up is just sitting right on top of it.

camomile

I don't think people care that much in a public place.

Ppl might notice if you are up close e.g. talking face to face to someone.

Only since I found this site and learned more about what cold sore is, I never knew what it really was.

I know people who got cs would not like his or her ob's in the face and are somewhat ashamed of it (maybe). I got some middle age melasma patch on my face lately. But I doubt if ppl would look and notice. It's mostly me who's worried about it.

MissHope

I see plenty out and about..... on the bus, at the supermarket, at work, at uni...... and when I see them, I always think good and sympathetic thoughts along the lines of "poor you, I bet that's been a bit uncomfortable for a few days but good on you for getting out and living!".

And then I always think, cool, that's another person on my team!

I've never thought ewwww, gross.

I love the advice - don't worry so much what people think about you, they're too busy thinking about themselves to give you that much thought! It's so true yet mostly we forget to remind ourselves of it.

camomile

What a lovely post, MissHope.

Your radiant personality shining through :)

A true credit to this fabulous site..xx