World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
bluesand101

NOT using suppressive therapy in a relationship?? Help please!!

bluesand101

I just found out a have GHSV2 a couple of weeks ago. I am at the end of my primary outbreak and just finished my 10 day Valtrex prescription. I have told the guy I have been seeing for the past month and we are staying together. We have not had sex yet, but will want to in the near future. I am not on suppressive therapy and do not really like the idea of taking medication daily. Is any one else who is GHSV positive in a relationship with someone who does not have HSV and who is also NOT taking any form of suppressive therapy (Valtrex or Acyclovir)? I am just wondering how safe it is and if I should definitely go back on Valtex or wait and see how my outbreaks are. Help please! Thanks :)

ladyl

Im not taking any meds and wit a non h person. So far he doesnt have it and we have not been usin protection im tryin to get.preg. I think the risk is high but he is willin to take it. I have 1&2 and dont really have obs hope i helped

loverly19

same boat

Hi there-- I have HSV-1 genitally and my fiancee has HSV-1 orally. We don't fool around when I think I am about to have an outbreak, which is usually a false alarm, just me being paranoid- or when I think he has a cold sore coming on, which again is usually my paranoia. We've talked about having a baby, I'm just so scared to. I don't want to pass this on to anyone else and have them feel like this! Especially an innocent child that has no idea what this means. I still have to wrap my head around this feeling, and it's almost been a year since I was diagnosed. Luckily I've had my first initial outbreak and haven't had one since (knock on wood) :embarassed:

ravencry

I was diagnosed in 2010 but have actually had hsv 2 just about 16 years now and I was in three relationships where we had unprotected sex and I know none of them have any problems to date. Still friends with the three and have talked to them. I didn't know what I had so can't be faulted. I just didn't have sex if a tingle was present or a ulcer wasn't healed. I also had my youngest daughter 11 years ago and she is fine...so I would say do what you do ya both know the risks and don't stress it. Stress can cause an ob. Hope this helps have a great day

Bababooey

I have had GHSV1 for about 7 years. I only took meds during my initial OB, and have had several sexual partners. I had "the talk" with all of them before having sexual contact. To the best of my knowledge, I have never passed on the virus. I have been with my current girlfriend for 3 years, we have plenty of unprotected sex, and she has remained negative. She gets tested at least twice a year.

That being said, I very rarely get OBs. I have only had 1 OB in the past 3 years, and we just avoided sex for about a month (during the OB and 2 weeks after it was gone just to make sure).

I control my OBs with Lysine, vitamins, and a healthy lifestyle. I just try to keep my immune system as strong as possible at all times. The only reason I had my recent OB was because I had an unrelated illness that weakened my immune system, thus opening the door for H to show it's ugly face.

Here is an interesting thread regarding Transmission Rates of GHSV2:

http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/messageforum/showthread.php?24334-Transmission-Rates!!-Why-is-everyone-worried

In short, if you do nothing other than avoid sex during OBs, the risk of passing it to your partner is about 4%. If you go on suppressive meds, that risk gets cut in half to 2%. So if you choose not to go on meds, the risk of passing it on is very low as long as you avoid sex during OBs (and I would recommend using condoms if you want to be extra safe). That being said, there is still a risk, and your partner needs to know and except that risk.

Sunny15

Good Morning Bababooey, I followed the link and found some great info in the stats however I have to question (not the validity of the stats but more the high number of ppl that have the disease) how so many ppl have it if it seems the transmission rate appears to be so low. Is it that ppl are dismissing symptoms as something else therefore not abstaining or protecting themselves and or partners during this time. It sure seems like lots and lots of ppl have it even though the article says the chance of getting it is akin to becoming pregnant while on birth control.

Are all of us here just the unlucky small percentage that statistics are built from?

Things that make you go hhhmmmm....

Have a blessed day to all!!!!

bluesand101

Great, thank you all for the replies. After doing some research and weighing the pros and cons I have decided to go on suppressive therapy for the time being. Even though the guy I am with is okay with me not being on medication, it will just give me more peace of mind (knowing that the chance of me passing it onto him is reduced even more). I know there is still a chance of transmission, but we both know those risks and are willing to take them. Also, since I just had my initial outbreak I am still getting to know my body and signals of an oncoming outbreak. I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks again.

PimpinAintEazy

After I slept with my EX she told me she was HSV positive and I did a lot of research on the Internet about it and talked to my doctor also. She claimed that she was married for 10 years and her EX Husband never was exposed to it and I thought things would be alright...well to make a long story short...she exposed me to the virus and I lived 35 years of my life without ever contracting the virus. In some sense I knew what the risk was 50/50 chance of getting it and I took Acyclovir to reduce the chances of me getting it, but it didn't work. I am healthy, eat proper, workout, have a stronge immune system/did...Now I am in shock...it is more of a mind game at the moment! The doctor took blood and it came back to be positive for HSV and since I have had no OB they do not know which one it is...they stated I may be either a carrier, or simply have the anitbodies and do not have the disease at all...wtf. Feel a lot of disgust at the moment!!! Just do not know what to do at the moment...nothing is 100 percent!!!