World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
wwdamron

Some people cured of herpes?

wwdamron

I have read somewhere, that in about 10% who aquire HSV-1 and/or HSV-2 that the virus has completely left their bodies later in their life, not just dormant. but completely cured. I do not have the proof to back it up but I know I read this somewhere.

Has anyone else heard of such information and can shed light on it?

wwdamron

I fount the article as it relates to Cullens Research, i did not post the full article, but read the start of the last paragraph below:

Bryan R. Cullen, Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology and Center for Virology

Mary Jane Gore

919-660-1309

Discovery Explains How Cold Sore Virus Hides During its Inactive Phase

DURHAM, N.C. – Anyone who has suffered through days of a painful, viral cold sore wants a cure. For the first time, scientists at Duke University Medical Center have isolated and gathered key material from a living animal that unlocks the secrets of the inactive herpes simplex virus 1 (HSV1) buried deep in nerve cells. The team’s discovery, published in Nature, is an important step toward developing an effective treatment that could banish the virus, says Bryan R. Cullen, co-author and professor in the Duke Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology.

Ninety percent of humans carry HSV1 all of their lives, which can lead to painful lip sores. After the initial infection, the virus lives in cells of the trigeminal nerve in a latent, inactive form. Because the virus is hidden, immune cells can’t find the virus and destroy it, Cullen said.

struggle83

There is a LOT about this virus that researchers don't know. The statement above is common understanding. I think there is much to learn about what the virus does in the latent stage. There is a lot of studies in vitro and in animals but not a lot in humans. After all, they can hardly expect people to offer themselves up as guinea pigs to be sectioned and analyzed.

camomile

I agree with Struggle.

From what I read in some reports, ppl who were found to have CNS infection (either low grade or otherwise) causing some sort of neurological compromise in later years, did not present any obvious H symptoms previously. So having latent H does not necessarily mean, you are free from potential issues once one's immune system weakens as one ages or for any other reasons.

Sweet7

There are two vaccines in the works. They are listed in My Watch List in the clinica trials section. One is HerpV and the other is in development. Both are based on the research from people who are immune. I got that link from the Agenus web site.

Sweet7

Look at My Watch List in the Clinical Trials section. There is a link to Agenus who developed HerpV.

Fully Qualified Survivor

I contracted genital herpes 27 years ago and suffered very badly initially. The ob's became less and less frequent over the years until they ceased completely almost 11 years ago. It may be that I was still having the occasional ob but was just not aware of it.

A few months ago, I went along for a series of blood tests after having begun a new relationship and after a conversation with my GP who suggested that the virus may be completely dormant or no longer in my body. The STD clinic subsequently confirmed that the virus was not present. Now I'm not really sure what to think.

lifesstillgood

I totally believe your body can be cured of any illness.

Sabrina32

i always felt that the human body could heal many things it would be amazing if it were true. that gives many of us home. I hope its true. blessings

Lumber Joe

Genital herpes is a disease caused by a virus and it is more common in women than in men. It is so widespread that every one woman out of four women in the United States has it. Genital herpes is most commonly spread by during sexual intercourse and as long as it is transferred it is impossible to recover from it completely. It stays with you all your life. There are times of complications, when herpes is triggered by some external or internal factor, such as stress or weakened immune system.

wwdamron
I contracted genital herpes 27 years ago and suffered very badly initially. The ob's became less and less frequent over the years until they ceased completely almost 11 years ago. It may be that I was still having the occasional ob but was just not aware of it.

A few months ago, I went along for a series of blood tests after having begun a new relationship and after a conversation with my GP who suggested that the virus may be completely dormant or no longer in my body. The STD clinic subsequently confirmed that the virus was not present. Now I'm not really sure what to think.

I knew it was possible, I knew i heard it from somewhere. I'm hypothesizing the longer it stays in the body the more your body becomes immune to it, thus eventually ridding yourself of it. I wonder if someone with a stronger immune system, the virus can leave the body in a shorter time frame, and eating and taking immune system supplements or drugs boosting your immune system would not only weaken and eliminate symptons, but likely help your body destroy the virus completely quicker.

For example the only man known to rid himself of HIV was threw a stem cell transplant. I wonder if that boosted his immune system and there is any correlation here.

MsLucy

The human body and mind are capable of far greater things than we can imagine sometimes. One might even say 'miraculous'. I don't doubt that it's possible, in some rare instances, for it to 'cure' itself of herpes, or any other other disease. Strange, unexplainable things happen everyday. Count your blessings, Survivor.

smithconfused

just curious. how were you initially diagnosed? blood test? culture?

Fully Qualified Survivor

I was never diagnosed. I was having a relationship with a woman who after several weeks, after an OB, confessed that she had genital herpes. 3 or 4 weeks later I had an incredible ob. My penis swelled to amazing propotions, weeping blisters and incredible pain in my buttocks and down my legs. It was so bad we took ourselves off to A&E. I was told I had herpes and to get on with it. The ob's continued for a long time. I always had a cluster of blisters on the left side of my penis about an inch below the top of my foreskin. Eventually the ob's decreased in frequency until they stopped all together. During that time I had a long term relationship and she never contracted herpes. She was tested after the relationship ended and was clear. Since then I've had two other relationships and neither woman contracted herpes. Each was tested. I've now begun yet another relationship (call me Za Za). It's just about in it's 6 month, we have unprotedted sex and so far she is clear.

wwdamron
I was never diagnosed. I was having a relationship with a woman who after several weeks, after an OB, confessed that she had genital herpes. 3 or 4 weeks later I had an incredible ob. My penis swelled to amazing propotions, weeping blisters and incredible pain in my buttocks and down my legs. It was so bad we took ourselves off to A&E. I was told I had herpes and to get on with it. The ob's continued for a long time. I always had a cluster of blisters on the left side of my penis about an inch below the top of my foreskin. Eventually the ob's decreased in frequency until they stopped all together. During that time I had a long term relationship and she never contracted herpes. She was tested after the relationship ended and was clear. Since then I've had two other relationships and neither woman contracted herpes. Each was tested. I've now begun yet another relationship (call me Za Za). It's just about in it's 6 month, we have unprotedted sex and so far she is clear.

If you don;t mind me asking,

What type of drugs for Outbreaks and/or supplements did you take? What type of diet ? during your life.

by the way Victor Hugo was a great poet.

camomile

Knowing the poster had indicated that he's most likely from Border region, I would take it, lots of booze, fried food and a lot of meat based diet. (and this is said with a tongue in cheek) Could be also to do with fresh air and slower pace lifestyle? :) xx

azgirl

I contracted the virus when I was 19 and raped. After the initial very painful outbreak I had several others with less and less severity over the year and progressively the frequency and severity declined also. Five years later I got married and had 5 years of unprotected sex and a baby with him. We divorced and I remarried and had a child and after his birth had one very small sore that went away quickly. Then I went nearly 20 years with no outbreaks!! Then we divorced...

Now I am horrified that I have been re-infected when my current boyfriend had a cold sore on his mouth gave me oral sex and it was like getting it for the first time all over again!!!

I was living a herpes free life with it being dormant or Gone for 20 years! I'm so upset that I'm reinfected!

I do believe a person can become immune...I think my husbands became immune and that is why they didn't get infected. Since I never had a sore when I was with them...even if I was shedding small amounts of the virus that small bit of virus may have built up an immunity for them.

wwdamron

I'm guessing you contracted hsv2 initially and your body built up an immunity to it and later on you got hsv1 and your body has yet to build up an immunity to it.

azgirl

Yes, I believe that is exactly what has happened! I feel terrible. I was living so normally without having an outbreak for 20 years...then this...just my fate I suppose...

mistaken101

How would blood tests confirm that the virus was completely dormant or no longer in his body? I thought pretty much everyone on here seemed to be in accordance that HSV antibodies will remain in your body for life once infected and never clear from the body. I personally don't agree with that though and believe that the antibodies would fall to very low or undetectable levels if cured. But just wanted to point this out to stir some thought out there with the people that adhere to the popular belief that once positive, you will always test positive even if cured. Maybe this testimonial will cause some people to change their opinions about that.

Survivor, can you tell us if you were taking antivirals? Or any kind of herbs or self-treatment? Were you ever tested for or researched the possibility that you could have had some other kind of skin disorder? It sounds like you had typical symptoms of HSV from one of your other posts, but sometimes other skin conditions can mimic HSV very closely.