World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
db8trgirl

What do you do in this situation?

db8trgirl

Our generation is so used to using the term "Herpes" in a casual but negative context. When you hear it, knowing someone with it or having it yourself, What do you do?

I ask because my boyfriend has recently realized how unknowingly insensitive it is when a friend of ours used it in such context in front of me. The way he was acting made me afraid my secret would be out. I want to give him an out other than mine.

(note: My plan of action is to laugh politely, and then correct them based on the lie of my extensive "Health class project".)

How do you deal with it?

WarriorKing

I don't feel compelled to fix those people. I don't laugh politely. Maybe I have a slight acknowledgment that I heard their communication. It is a similar situation when people speak the same way of skin color, body weight, or disability.

Maegan

People are going to joke around, even about things other people maybe sensitive to. In today's society, it's okay to make fun of STD's or people who have them, that is until you catch one.

I've learned to never ever take it personally. If that person knew you or some one you loved had it, they most likely would not say anything.

In a situation like that, I don't acknowledge the comment, I move on with the conversation.

When some one at work made a comment in relation to std's, I ignored it and moved on.

db8trgirl

Thank you. I was just curious as to how others handled it. :)

Conflictedgirl

So many students in my class talk about herpes weekly. Today i heard them talking about some girl who has it.

I swear one day when when i hear them talking, i'm just going to walk up and be like "Yeah, i have herpes. So what?"

Lol i'd love to see their reactions.

wwdamron

It would either break the ice with people, and someone might say, "I have it too !", or you could be shunned and people talk about you behind their backs. Thats what I hate most is people either talking bad about you behind your back or looking at you like your some type of freak. Just always remember the ones who look down upon you the most are probably the ones who have the most to hide. So I say go for it , tell them, what do you have to lose?

Conflictedgirl

Lol I don't have friends at my immature school so i really wouldn't give a shit if they shunned me. I just rather not have to deal w more drama than i need too being a teenager. Ignorance is bliss, especially in teenage years.