World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
brak

Hey You that just got diagnosed! Read this!

brak

So you just found out that your blood test is HSV1 or 2 positive and you're kind of stressing out. Firstly, Calm down, take a breath, and realize your life isn't over.

I recently was "diagnosed" by planned parenthood with HSV 1 and 2. Yeah, I freaked out. Told my girlfriend. Told my exes. GF had to get checked. Life was stressed to the max and not fun at all. Anyhow, we call Planned parenthood today to find her results, and she's only HSV 1 positive. I thought it weird, so asked them to take a look at mine again. First thing she says is HSV1 negative, HSV2 Negative. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA? The reason why the first nurse said I was positive was because I had been recently exposed to my gf's type 1, and she didn't know how to read the chart. Never been happier then to here those words though. I had already accepted the fact that I was going to have to live a little differently (which really isn't too bad, just have to be healthy really) and out of nowhere life reversed!

Moral of the story is: Make sure you go somewhere to get properly checked by somebody who knows what they're talking about. Many doctors unfortunately can misdiagnose, so PLEASE GO SOMEWHERE PROFESSIONAL and not just a shady clinic on the side of the road. Wasted much time and many tears because a nurse thought she knew what she was talking about. Be Safe!

Now I definitely do not want to give out false hope, so don't view this post as some sort of "Oh! thats probably me!" kind of mentality. But go get checked somewhere reliable.

RealisticGal
So you just found out that your blood test is HSV1 or 2 positive and you're kind of stressing out. Firstly, Calm down, take a breath, and realize your life isn't over.

I recently was "diagnosed" by planned parenthood with HSV 1 and 2. Yeah, I freaked out. Told my girlfriend. Told my exes. GF had to get checked. Life was stressed to the max and not fun at all. Anyhow, we call Planned parenthood today to find her results, and she's only HSV 1 positive. I thought it weird, so asked them to take a look at mine again. First thing she says is HSV1 negative, HSV2 Negative. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA? The reason why the first nurse said I was positive was because I had been recently exposed to my gf's type 1, and she didn't know how to read the chart. Never been happier then to here those words though. I had already accepted the fact that I was going to have to live a little differently (which really isn't too bad, just have to be healthy really) and out of nowhere life reversed!

Just want to make sure you know... there is no such thing as a test that shows you were just "recently exposed" to someone else's HSV infection. If your test shows positive for HSV, it doesn't mean you were "exposed to HSV." It means you have HSV.

I might be misinterpreting your words. But the problem is, some docs actually say it that way, in order to soften the blow of a diagnosis. So I just wanted to be sure of what you are saying.

Dogwatch

Sorry to rain on your parade, but if your initial (positive) diagnosis was by swab and your subsequent (negative) diagnosis was by blood test, chances are you ARE positive and the antibodies just haven't showed up in your blood yet. This normally takes 3 to 4 months after initial exposure.

But try not to worry. 80% of the adult population has HSV1, and 25% has HSV2. Most have only very minor symptoms or no symptoms at all. In the grand scheme of things it's a minor, self-limiting skin ailment, nothing more.

brak

Oh don't worry I know. It was pretty much known that I was gonna have hsv1 (because really, who doesn't?) but the fact that I was told I have 2 was what sent me spiraling downward. and yes I know the test wasn't to see if you were "exposed" but the fact of the matter is I was told I had type 2, when in reality the nurse didn't know how to read the charts and I don't. I just want people to make sure they get tested somewhere professional and knowledgeable of the subject, because going through all that was not a fun time.

hot damn i've edited this post too many times, I just reread my first post and forgot to add the fact that I knew I had type 1. Sorry about the confusion!

Mr nice guy

Good morning,

I am totally new to this and after having been single for the past 4 years, I decided I should have a complete STD check. No symptoms

at all ever. Everything came back negative except the Herpes Simplex Virus Type I IgG Test. Being new to this I am doing everything I

can to learn what this means exactly. If anyone has any advice, I would very much welcome hearing it.

RealisticGal
Good morning,

I am totally new to this and after having been single for the past 4 years, I decided I should have a complete STD check. No symptoms

at all ever. Everything came back negative except the Herpes Simplex Virus Type I IgG Test. Being new to this I am doing everything I

can to learn what this means exactly. If anyone has any advice, I would very much welcome hearing it.

Hi Mr nice guy,

The most likely thing reflected by your test results --- is that you have an asymptomatic case of oral herpes, which is typically caused by the HSV1 type of the herpes simplex virus.

Oral herpes is what is commonly referred to as "cold sores" or "fever blisters." You have probably seen them on other folks' faces, usually around the lips, many times without thinking anything of it.

About 80% of the North American adult population has oral herpes. Most of them contracted it by the time they were in their teens, and usually by way of casual (non-sexual) contact such as a kiss on the cheek from a relative or friend, or by sharing a saliva-covered toy with another child.

There are two basic types of the Herpes Simplex Virus --- HSV1 and HSV2. Under a microscope, they are almost identical. In the symptoms they cause, there is no difference.

Oral herpes is usually caused by HSV1 because it is more "at home" in that location. Genital herpes is usually caused by HSV2 because it is more "at home" there. But either one can cause an infection in either place. Oral HSV1 can be transferred to another person's genital area by way of oral sex, for example.

What that means is that there is a chance you have genital HSV1. A blood test can't tell you the location of your infection. If you never, ever have any symptoms, you won't know for sure. If you do ever get symptoms, they can be swabbed. Then the actual viral material can be cultured in a laboratory to make sure it is HSV.

One bit of advice I would give is that "asymptomatic" does not mean it can't be passed to others. It's tough not knowing where your infection is, because you don't know how you might pass HSV1 to others. My personal belief is that you should tell any potential intimate partners that you know you have HSV1, because of a blood test, but that you don't know where because you haven't had symptoms. Let them know that there is a chance you could pass HSV to their genitals or their mouth, even though you just aren't sure how. The fact that you aren't having any outbreaks means you probably shed less virus, but it doesn't mean you never shed any at all.

I know that's a lot of info, but hopefully this little primer has answered some of your basic questions. There are links on the right side of the page with a lot more good articles, covering various topics. I'm sure they will help you with the things you are going to be wondering about going forward.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

:wavey:

Discombobulated

I am thinking of having a second test done. My EX-boyfriend did not show any signs of infection; but I was recently diagnosed with herpes 2 (even though we used protection). Like one of the above posts I've shown zero symptoms of infection; moreover, I'm second guessing due to the type of clinic I received the results from (side of the road Doctor's office that I chose to visit because it was close to my job and, for lack of a better term, cheap).

Either way I am going to accept either diagnosis if I have a second opinion...*sigh*

summerday

Well Brak, my story is little different .... I went to get tested for the first time to a clinic on the side the road and they told me i was negative for hsv,spent three months with no symptoms then i had another small ob. So I went to my OBG and he told me i was positive.

package deal

brak i dont want to break your buble but the others are right.If you have herpies 2 there would not be time for the antiboties to show up. If i were you i go see another doc. if you were having symptom and swab test was done then that test would be accurate. Denial will not change anything. if your still having syptoms then you should go back to another doc and get swab on it

the fact your gf tested positive for hsv1 does not mean anything. just means she has not cought it from you is all.

RealisticGal
I am thinking of having a second test done. My EX-boyfriend did not show any signs of infection; but I was recently diagnosed with herpes 2 (even though we used protection). Like one of the above posts I've shown zero symptoms of infection; moreover, I'm second guessing due to the type of clinic I received the results from (side of the road Doctor's office that I chose to visit because it was close to my job and, for lack of a better term, cheap).

Either way I am going to accept either diagnosis if I have a second opinion...*sigh*

Hi discombobulated ---

As long as the clinic staff member who took your specimen did a good job of it, they didn't mishandle the materials, and they used a proper test kit, I would expect your results are probably accurate. They almost certainly send the test kits to an outside lab to be analyzed.

You know, it's a good thing there are inexpensive, convenient clinics available. So many folks would never be able to get tested and treated if there were not.

The main thing is making sure you get the right tests done.

JMO