World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
boobooizluvd

I need some info to give my significant other...

boobooizluvd

I have genital herpes. I have was diagnosed with it about 4+ years ago. I got it from my unfaithful husband. Well ex-husband. Anyways, I have been seeing this guy for a few months and we are head over heels for each other. I told him after a few dates that I had it because I wanted to be honest with him from the start and let him make the choice whether to walk away or not before we really started feeling each other. Well he chose to stay and we have been intimate with protection. I really just want to give him more info on herpes though. I was hoping that someone out there who either doesn't have it can give me an insight on what its like being with someone who does have it so I can pass it along to him and maybe just some info I can give him so that he feels like he is educated on the subject. I would greatly appreciate any and all help.

JBnATL

Has this guy ever had mono, chicken pox or a cold sore? If so he already has herpes. Each of those are caused by the herpes virus.

Read all you can about this and you both will see how common and harmless this virus really is. Did you know it is harder for guys to get it from girls than vice versa? If you take meds everyday you decrease the risk of transmission by 50%. Here is a link to a good post about transmission rates:

http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/messageforum/showthread.php?24334-Transmission-Rates!!-Why-is-everyone-worried

Also the longer you have it the less you are contagious. When I am dating someone I take acyclovir, lysine and kelp every day. I have been with many women and never passed it along. I always let them decide if we use condoms and while some start out wanting to, they ALL changed their minds. There is a user who comes here who had been married twice for a total of 27 years and neither wife got it. I have chatted with many married people who were married decades and their spouse never got it.

Come to the Chat Room, there you will find many nice fellow Herpster who can off you their support!

Good luck!

JB

boobooizluvd

Thanks for all the help. I will check out the link and give him the info I find.

Indy Stylist

My husband doesn't have it and I do (GHSV2). How often do you break out? Do you have recurrences at all? I'm just finishing up with an ob and I think we'll be good to have sex in a few days, I don't feel or see anything anymore down there, but I always like to play it extra safe, and we even use a condom for a bit before going back to our normal routine. And like JBnATL said, it's harder for a man to catch it from a woman. There was an article somewhere around here that I found VERY helpful in our situation. It's called Good Virus Bad Virus or something like that. I'm sorry, I wish I could provide a link. But if you can find it, it's very informative. Good luck!

boobooizluvd

I hardly ever have an OB maybe twice a year if at all. I'll see if I can find that cite. I just know that he really doesn't want to contract it and we have talked about the possibility of getting married and having a baby one day but he is worried that the only way to do that is a doctor putting the sperm inside me instead of the old fashion way. I told him that I have known some ppl who have unprotected sex and never contract it. All I can tell him is the stuff I know but I wanted to be able to refer him to some websites that will give him (and myself) enough information to make us both more comfortable.