World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Cure Coming Soon

HCC February 2011 Update-Biggest News Ever-A Must Read

Cure Coming Soon

Herpes Cure Coalition (HCC) Members and Non Members,

It seems only yesterday we established the HCC with the mission of aiding researchers with funding support that are closest to a cure. This led to raising over $20,000 for Bloom’s HSV-1 and HSV-2 experiments as well as the HCC Leadership team managing Dr. Bloom’s Pepsi Refresh campaign. Bloom ended up #10 in June 2010, and won $50,000 from Pepsi. This not only was a monumental achievement for Dr. Bloom, but for herpes sufferers around the world.

Since that time, the HCC has been solidifying searching worldwide for any potential cures. We write the companies or researchers and then determine if they will be included in upcoming campaigns. The science is evaluated for risk, deadlines, cost, and potential to meet our goals. After exhaustive evaluation (hundreds of hours) the HCC Leadership team has arrived back at Dr. Bloom.

We have decided Dr. Bloom is the closest to a cure. By cure we mean PERMANENT SHUT DOWN-the virus cannot replicate, it cannot shed, and it cannot be spread to others. All of this is possible if his approach of delivering Hammerhead Ribozyme via a vector to the ganglion is successful. The HCC Leadership team discussed time frames with Dr. Bloom on the phone in February 2011 and he has stated that all of the results of his experiments will be finalized by Summer 2011. This achievement is only possible because of the HCC and Pepsi. The next stage is toxicology studies ($250,000) and applying for an Investigational New Drug (IND) from the FDA. The momentum is there and we are going to do what we can to make these next steps happen.

Many of you have been talking about whether or not it is a pill, a shot, or a cream. The final drug (if Dr. Bloom gets to FDA approval) will be delivered as a cream. Some of you say “oh a cream that won’t work”---well try again. The cream delivers the vector carrying the Hammerhead Ribozyme. Let’s say you have HSV -1 on your lips. You would put the cream on your lip and the drug would travel the nerve roots to the Trigeminal Ganglion shutting down the entire pool of latent virus. This same concept would work on genital HSV-1, although it would follow the nerve root to the Sacral Ganglion. In addition, the same concept would work for HSV-2. Experiments have begun on Herpes Simplex 2 as well.

No researcher in the world has successfully developed a vector that can go into the ganglion. Through our research we learned many companies are working on this issue but none have been successful. Dr. Bloom (if successful) would be the first. Think of this as the equivalent of winning a Nobel Prize.

The HCC is doing its part to help Dr. Bloom and we have saved the biggest news for last. A foundation with amazing resources and contacts has agreed to take on our cause and will be launching the “CureHsvNow” campaign this year. There will be press releases, a website, and major events inside the US. The foundation has experts in branding, public relations, events, news media, and fundraising. They will be raising hundreds of thousands of dollars for a cure. This is the push we needed and it is coming at the right time--- valtrex went off patent, a major vaccine failed, and the number of infected continues to rise.

I hope all of you will continue to support Dr. Bloom’s critical research through donations to the HSV-1 fund to help him raise the $250,000 for toxicity experiments in order to get this drug into trials. Remember if HSV-1 is successful, Bloom will use the same method for HSV-2. Dr. Bloom has the potential to help hundreds of millions worldwide. In our recent conversation, he told HCC Leadership to thank everyone that has given so far to his funds and helped the HCC achieve its mission.

Thank you.

-HCC Leadership Team

https://www.uff.ufl.edu/OnlineGiving/FundDetail.asp?FundCode=016081

anna16

@CureComingSoon

We always support Prof. Cullen and Prof. Bloom research.

Thanks for this update.

Sweet7

Creams do work to deliver drugs, so that would be great. I had originally thought it would be a vaccine shot. I look forward to the foundation getting underway. It really is time to ban together and make things happen. Thanks for the update.

helpiamconfused2
Herpes Cure Coalition (HCC) Members and Non Members,

It seems only yesterday we established the HCC with the mission of aiding researchers with funding support that are closest to a cure. This led to raising over $20,000 for Bloom’s HSV-1 and HSV-2 experiments as well as the HCC Leadership team managing Dr. Bloom’s Pepsi Refresh campaign. Bloom ended up #10 in June 2010, and won $50,000 from Pepsi. This not only was a monumental achievement for Dr. Bloom, but for herpes sufferers around the world.

Since that time, the HCC has been solidifying searching worldwide for any potential cures. We write the companies or researchers and then determine if they will be included in upcoming campaigns. The science is evaluated for risk, deadlines, cost, and potential to meet our goals. After exhaustive evaluation (hundreds of hours) the HCC Leadership team has arrived back at Dr. Bloom.

We have decided Dr. Bloom is the closest to a cure. By cure we mean PERMANENT SHUT DOWN-the virus cannot replicate, it cannot shed, and it cannot be spread to others. All of this is possible if his approach of delivering Hammerhead Ribozyme via a vector to the ganglion is successful. The HCC Leadership team discussed time frames with Dr. Bloom on the phone in February 2011 and he has stated that all of the results of his experiments will be finalized by Summer 2011. This achievement is only possible because of the HCC and Pepsi. The next stage is toxicology studies ($250,000) and applying for an Investigational New Drug (IND) from the FDA. The momentum is there and we are going to do what we can to make these next steps happen.

Many of you have been talking about whether or not it is a pill, a shot, or a cream. The final drug (if Dr. Bloom gets to FDA approval) will be delivered as a cream. Some of you say “oh a cream that won’t work”---well try again. The cream delivers the vector carrying the Hammerhead Ribozyme. Let’s say you have HSV -1 on your lips. You would put the cream on your lip and the drug would travel the nerve roots to the Trigeminal Ganglion shutting down the entire pool of latent virus. This same concept would work on genital HSV-1, although it would follow the nerve root to the Sacral Ganglion. In addition, the same concept would work for HSV-2. Experiments have begun on Herpes Simplex 2 as well.

No researcher in the world has successfully developed a vector that can go into the ganglion. Through our research we learned many companies are working on this issue but none have been successful. Dr. Bloom (if successful) would be the first. Think of this as the equivalent of winning a Nobel Prize.

The HCC is doing its part to help Dr. Bloom and we have saved the biggest news for last. A foundation with amazing resources and contacts has agreed to take on our cause and will be launching the “CureHsvNow” campaign this year. There will be press releases, a website, and major events inside the US. The foundation has experts in branding, public relations, events, news media, and fundraising. They will be raising hundreds of thousands of dollars for a cure. This is the push we needed and it is coming at the right time--- valtrex went off patent, a major vaccine failed, and the number of infected continues to rise.

I hope all of you will continue to support Dr. Bloom’s critical research through donations to the HSV-1 fund to help him raise the $250,000 for toxicity experiments in order to get this drug into trials. Remember if HSV-1 is successful, Bloom will use the same method for HSV-2. Dr. Bloom has the potential to help hundreds of millions worldwide. In our recent conversation, he told HCC Leadership to thank everyone that has given so far to his funds and helped the HCC achieve its mission.

Thank you.

-HCC Leadership Team

https://www.uff.ufl.edu/OnlineGiving/FundDetail.asp?FundCode=016081

Great News CCS... I know Bloom and Cullen have together applied for a grant from the NIH and were to do so in February. I have no idea how long it takes to hear back on the grant applications. Do you have any news here?

Next, please be sure to provide at least monthly updates on the foundation you reference. Your posting will create a big buzz; however to keep the momentum going I think you need to keep us all updated.

Again, great news. I have been donating to the HSV2 side of Bloom and Cullen. They both can be reached thru and you can donate to HSV2 or 1 from the link below.

http://www.herpescureresearch.org/

Sweet7

Help, it could take up to six months if they are turned down the first time. That's what happened to Cullen last year. Let hope your petitions will help with them getting approval the first time. I also think your right about the foundation. It sounds awesome but we may start losing hope without periodic updates. You never know what kind of snags can come up. Thanks again for posting CCS.

confusedraven

Great News

I was having a pretty crappy day and reading this has really lifted my spirits. I think the campaign is huge news. Organized funding and awareness is a huge step forward. I do have two questions if you would be so kind to answer...

1) What is the timeline regarding the launch of the campaign? I'm assuming if you knew, or could share, that probably would have been posted.

2) Regarding Bloom, if so many companies have failed to develop a vector, why do we believe Bloom will be successful? Have there been an early experiments regarding the vector? I have faith in the man, but if no one has been able to accomplish this feat, what makes his research so different in this area?

A huge thank you to the HCC and to you for keeping us updated.

dontknowmuch

Im new to the site and would love to believe there will be a cure, but is this for real. Dont want to get my hopes up. I have two kids and am petrified of passing HSV onto them. Im confused about all the experimental trials and whats good and whats not. In Summary can anyone tell me what makes this research different from others and what are the front runners in stopping this virus. Thanks all

VVK

These are the front runners in terms of research for stopping the virus.

Other research has not been focusing on the problem but rather on the symptoms and wishful thinking with boosting the body's immunity.

Numbers

thank you

Hi CCS,

Thank you so much for this post. Definitely makes me feel more optimistic.

You have really been a help to so many on this forum in staying persistent in giving us updates.

Thank you, and thank goodness for Bloom and Cullen! I hope the organization will help us blow the fundraising through the roof for them!

accelerate the response

Is there any research that describes how a ribozyme in a cream can achieve so-called 'axonal transport', that is to say passage along the nerves themselves to the ganglia in a way that mimics the way the virus itself behaves as it initially infects the ganglia and then re-infects the epithelium (skin) as it travels back down them when an outbreak occurs? It's not that I doubt what Professor Bloom has to say, but it would be good to know if Dr Bloom intends to publish anything in a peer reviewed journal soon and whether there is the slightest sign of any of the major drug companies taking an interest in his research.

Even if Dr Bloom files with the FDA under the orphan drug program, as he would for a therapy for ocular disease, it is likely that a Big Pharma partner would be needed to fund the IND, pre-toxicology and phase one trial alone, let alone a phase two or three trial.

Don't write off therapeutic drugs that aim to raise an immune response either. Immune surveillance of a sufficient and correct type, (for example raising an antibody to glycoproteins on the virus's surface that currently enable immune evasion), may be sufficient to prevent outbreaks and shedding and, if it uses a fractionated peptide model, would be a very 'safe' route to take from and IND/regulatory point of view.

cakes

whens the pepsi refresh going to start. ...... by summer 2011 will human trials be finished also or will they do them after summer 2011

Sweet7

ATR is right about the importance of immune response. There is quite a bit of research regarding that. The right immune response such as the same response the people who are immune to HSV has, could control HSV, or even rid the body of it. There are three therapeutics based on this

strategy and one has already been though a phase I trial. As far as I’m concerned, until there is a drug or vaccine that causes complete suppression or eradication of the virus, all of the products in development, pre-clinical, or clinical stages for treatment of HSV is wishful thinking. But I call it hope, not false hope, just a light the end of the tunnel. I do hope that Dr. Bloom succeeds but I doubt that his product will be available anytime in the near future. Like ATR stated, a big pharma will have to step in. Even with that said, we still need to ban together and help raise awareness and support our cause or nothing will ever happen.

Mistakenomore

Praise God! Im very optimistic about the cure. I know it will happen soon. Let's all help the research. Goodluck.

helpiamconfused2
ATR is right about the importance of immune response. There is quite a bit of research regarding that. The right immune response such as the same response the people who are immune to HSV has, could control HSV, or even rid the body of it. There are three therapeutics based on this

strategy and one has already been though a phase I trial. As far as I’m concerned, until there is a drug or vaccine that causes complete suppression or eradication of the virus, all of the products in development, pre-clinical, or clinical stages for treatment of HSV is wishful thinking. But I call it hope, not false hope, just a light the end of the tunnel. I do hope that Dr. Bloom succeeds but I doubt that his product will be available anytime in the near future. Like ATR stated, a big pharma will have to step in. Even with that said, we still need to ban together and help raise awareness and support our cause or nothing will ever happen.

Sweet/ATR, et al, I agree with what each of you are saying. There are several drugs already out there that have gone thru Phase I, but unfortunately they are sitting on the shelves awaiting a bigger company to come in and fund them. Obama and others are now seeing that so many drugs have remained in the development stage in the last several years due to NO FUNDING. He has upped the ante in the 2012 budget cycle, but Sweet, like you said it ain't going to help us unless we get our cause out there. That means writing letters, making calls, signing petitions, donating and doing every thing within our powers that we can - AS A GROUP, NOT JUST ONE OF TWO OF US. We are competing with well-oiled machines such as the American Cancer Society, AIDS, and others. While those diseases are horrendous, they are way less prevalent than herpes, and herpes is a lot more of an issue than is realized. This is the stuff we've got to keep hammering in day, after day, after day, etc. And passing the FDA hurdle isn't going to be easy for any of these drugs. I think the FDA has approved a total of 40 new drugs in the last 2 years... imagine how many they've turned down if they've only approved 40.

Lastly, I know private donations aren't enough to get a product to market, but they help. Bloom has gone on record and stated this. While I like to eat out, I have started taking my lunch to work 2 more days a week. This should free up another $40/month I can donate. Uncle Sam/IRS will reimburse me for $12 of that so I will only be out of pocket an additional $28 dollars. I think we all can find ways to cut back and donate... to Bloom, Cullen or whoever.

Teacher Man

That's really good news...thanks for the update. Momentum is key. How do you eat an elephant?...ONE BITE AT

A TIME. Every dollar, every letter, every connection...it all adds up. Think of how far virus research has come

in the past 10-20 years. Herpes is understood much better than it was even 10 years ago, hence the new

approaches by Blooom and others. Remember, in 1991 when Magic Johnson said he had HIV, few expected

he'd live even another 10 years. The point is that progress has been made in the treatment and understanding

of viruses. No, it won't happen overnight. And maybe Bloom won't be successful, although he may very well

be. But every "failure" can be considered data. It took Thomas Edison over 10,000 tries to create the lightbulb...

but it only took one to get it right.

Let's all continue to our part, and acknowledge the good news that an agency will now be involved in spreading

awareness and fundraising. One Love.

Sweet7
Don't write off therapeutic drugs that aim to raise an immune response either. Immune surveillance of a sufficient and correct type, (for example raising an antibody to glycoproteins on the virus's surface that currently enable immune evasion), may be sufficient to prevent outbreaks and shedding and, if it uses a fractionated peptide model, would be a very 'safe' route to take from and IND/regulatory point of view.

ATR, I am curious. Would an antibody like the one you mention work once it is inside the host cell, or would it be targeted by killer T cells? I think I read somewhere that some vaccines that have failed dealt with glycoprotien C. Are there vaccines that you have read about that deal with the other glycoprotiens? From reading about the Trim21 gene publication back in November, I had thought that antibodies would be useless against HSV because the virus sheds it's coat when it infects a cell. From what your saying, it may be possible for a vaccine to create an antibody to mark HSV for destruction. Am I understanding you correctly? If that is the case, then it would kind of be like Bav I would think. Except it may not help with latent infection (which I don't think Bav would either)and it is a vaccine and not a medication.

cakes

if they have to pay for trials that there doing now do they have enough..... and when they do human trials they need 250,000 ??????/ so how much is it alltogether???????

Sweet7

Cakes, I think the animal trials cost 250k. Human trials can go into the 100 mil range. I think to get a drug or vaccine all the way through a phase 3 trial cost about 200 mil all together. It's nuts isn't it? ATR can better answer that question though. I beleive I got that information from him.

Frizzle

wow this is very exciting I don't have much but imma send $50/month to dr. bloom to help as much as i can hopefully i can in time send more. If all of us on this site chipped in someway im sure we can raise enough money to do anything. as for the program sounds great, hsv walks to raise money would generate alot of funding