World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
physicalgraffiti

Tattoos

physicalgraffiti

Hey all..

so i've been an avid fan of tattoos for... well for forever and I have quite a few, however, I haven't gotten a tattoo since I found out I had herpes and i've done a bit of research regarding tattoos and herpes and I was just wondering what any of your experience has been like... does it trigger outbreaks or anything??

thanks so much, much appreciated :)

JBnATL

The key to fighting herpes is your immune system. Anything that compromises that can allow the virus to pop up it's ugly head. Getting a tattoo causes trauma to your skin which triggers your immune system to fight off any potential infections. So that would open the door for this virus to sneak out.

Come to the Chat Room, there you will meet many nice fellow Herpsters who can offer you their support.

Good luck!

JB

Stillmyself

I've had 6 tattoos since being diagnosed, and it hasn't caused an outbreak at all!

Hope this helps!

blinky123

may be a silly question but do we need to warn the artist that we have H? It wouldn't bother me, but I'd rather not?!

Stillmyself

That may be a question for a doctor- however if all done sterilly, then you shouldn't have to. This is why they wear gloves and dispose of needles etc...

foregoneconclusions

if you get a tattoo where you normally get your h, you might get some weird stuff going on. And if you get really really stressed out when you get a tattoo, your body might slow down enough for a breakout. Other than that, I don't really see how it could be a problem.

poetic paisley

Just got a new one and old one touched up, both today. I will let you know how it goes.

artrat86

I've tattooed as a career for years now and the risk of transmission via tattoo is almost impossible unless your artist is recycling ink hepatitis is the real concern when getting a tattoo not hsv

poetic paisley

Update: I had zero adverse reaction to the tattoos. I am on daily suppressives, though.