World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
gardencook

i have a question

gardencook

My question is can a tanning bed cause an outbreak? I have cold sore HSV1. Have never had an outbreak on my face before and I think I'm about to have my first. Mainly the things that have changed are the last couple of days i haven't gotten enough sleep and I started tanning again. In my research, I have read that sun exposure can aggrevate the virus. I haven't seen any info on this subject though. Some help please

VVK

A tanning bed is similar to sun exposure - you are getting exposed to UV radiation either way. In fact, tanning beds are arguably worse than sunlight since the UV levels are consistently high. UV radiation is known to suppress immune function in human beings - this is why it is used to treat psoriasis and eczema, where it helps calm the immune system which is over-reacting.

gardencook

So I can't tan at all or just to cover my face? I'm not sure either about when I'm outside with the sun.

VVK

I couldn't tell you how much you can tan. You could try tanning for shorter periods of time or with less intensity. Covering your face would make the tan look weird - perhaps putting sunscreen on your lips might help.