World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Vanilla

Areas not covered by condoms

Vanilla

So I know that HSV can spread through contact when an area is not covered by the condom. I was under the impression that it spreads via mucous membrane-to-mucous membrane contact (which is why women get it more easily). But when you use a condom, the guy's mucous membrane (the glans) will be completely covered by the condom, right? Does this mean it's unlikely a guy will catch it from me as long as we use condoms? Or does it spread just as easily to any skin area that is in direct contact with me? I only get OBs on my outer labia, which means the area will touch the guy's skin even with a condom.

JBnATL

It takes skin on skin contact to spread this, not just mucous areas. However since women have more exposed mucous areas that is why it is easier for women to catch this than men.

Using condoms will not completely reduce the risk to 0% but only by 50%. Taking antivirals will also drop the risk by 50%. Here is a link to a good article about transmission rates:

http://www.hsvblog.org/herpes-simplex-virus-hsv-101/

Come to the Chat Room, there you will meet many nice fellow Herpsters who can offer you their support.

Good luck!

JB