World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Sweet7

Cellectis Video

Sweet7

I didn't know if this has been posted or not but thought I would share. I dont know when they well have a product on the market but maybe posting this will generate more interest. I know there is some litigation going on between them and a US company. I honestly don't care which company comes up with a product to cure HSV but this company is much further along than the US company. I would rather see them continue on their path even if the product is not manufactured here. This is real possibility of helping us.

Sabrina32

nice post

Thanks for posting this sweet cellectis is truly an amazing company their technology is amazing and its one of our best chances for a real cure.

lastbaron

This is truly amazing work. Is there any word on when their research may be done and put into clinical trials? Or do you think it is still too early to think about that.

Cure Coming Soon

Thanks for posting this video. I've never seen it before.

Sweet7

Your welcome. There's all kinds of cool scientific video's on there. I honestly don't know when this will be ready to go to clinical trials. It will most likely be available in Europe before it is in the US. I'm just glad that at least one of the companies doing this type of work as got as far as Cellectis has. There is a company in the US that has this technology and they just got about 3 mil in grants but not all of it is for medical therapeutics, but the NIH did give them some money. That company has been in litigation with Cellectis but I don't think that it will stop the progress. At least I hope not.

camomile

It's almost very sci-fi isn't it? :)

Thank you Sweet.

It's interesting that we read and hear about there's widespread use of dna modified crops being used to prevent diseases from infecting crops. Essentially, farmers want disease resistant crops that won't get diseases.

I wonder though it's much harder to rid of dna viruses which are already in the crop/hosts. Suppose, I'm making up an analogy. It seems to me that the idea sounds fantastic but could that be applied successfully? It seems that pharmaceuticals tend to have the weakest link in their application. How could they overcome the hurdle of getting DNA viruses out of human molecule without damaging the host?

xx

SuperManFace
It's almost very sci-fi isn't it? :)

Thank you Sweet.

It's interesting that we read and hear about there's widespread use of dna modified crops being used to prevent diseases from infecting crops. Essentially, farmers want disease resistant crops that won't get diseases.

I wonder though it's much harder to rid of dna viruses which are already in the crop/hosts. Suppose, I'm making up an analogy. It seems to me that the idea sounds fantastic but could that be applied successfully? It seems that pharmaceuticals tend to have the weakest link in their application. How could they overcome the hurdle of getting DNA viruses out of human molecule without damaging the host?

xx

Mega-nucleuses. Given the right tools and the right team, doesn't sound too hard to do. Those mega nucleus-es look like ribosomes to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO-Vl-LTk2U&feature=related

officefan

The FDA has yet to approve a gene therapy. It looks great but I think this is a long ways away.

Sweet7

Meganucleases are naturally occurring restriction enzymes. Scientist have now figured out how to use this. It is possible to use this technology to clear the virus from host cells without damaging them. Our cells have the ability to correct broken dna. That video was showing how this technology would work to clear virus from latent infection. Once most viruses such as HIV becomes latent, it becomes part of our dna. Believe it or not 5 to 8 percent of our dna is made up of viral genes. I had originally thought that HSV became part of our dna in our neurons, but found that HSV is circular and only sits in the nucleaus. Cellectis is already studying HSV-1. http://www.cellectis.com/sites/default/files/110119_MolecularTherapy_EN_0.pdf

This may be a long way off though, but it sure looks like a real possibility.

Sabrina32

they have come pretty far i mean since they started going in 2008 with the purpose of targeting incurable viruses and here it is 2011 and they have now established proof of concept with hsv1 it may not be as far as we may think. They have already been using some of the meganucleases on patients with muscular dystrophy because that is a disease that afflicts many french people.

camomile
Mega-nucleuses. Given the right tools and the right team, doesn't sound too hard to do. Those mega nucleus-es look like ribosomes to me.

Vl-LTk2U&feature=related'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO-

Vl-LTk2U&feature=related

Nice video, thanks :)

xx

camomile
They have already been using some of the meganucleases on patients with muscular dystrophy because that is a disease that afflicts many french people.

How interesting.

Thank you sabrina. I looked it up. :)

I wonder how much this therapy would be, must be pretty expensive (and it would be most unlikely my insurance won't pay ;) ).

xx

camomile
It is possible to use this technology to clear the virus from host cells without damaging them. Our cells have the ability to correct broken dna. Believe it or not 5 to 8 percent of our dna is made up of viral genes.

This may be a long way off though, but it sure looks like a real possibility.

Sweet, didn't realize this was a gene therapy. ;) I looked it up. looks like they've been looking into this since some time. All the more reason to save up and cross the channel for some "vive la france" ;)

Great find, thank you xxxx

camomile

Oh, I have an idea as to what big pharma could do to ease their "guilty conscience" ;)

All the big pharma would have to give corporate tax strictly designated towards funding research of great importance, to advance understanding and cure of intractable diseases.

I noticed, places like Japan provides State of Art high level care, to those suffering from these illnesses (often genetic disorders) costing the government millions each year. I bet their research money is much better knowing they often come up with vaccines decades ahead of others (in the past).

These big pharma or banking sector making horrendous shameless amount of money, they should be legally obliged to contribute each year. Otherwise, those researchers working for real causes (not just making money) would be left high and dry. Have those big pharma heard of corporate responsibility for humanity, apart from self-serving funding medical schools to placate future doctors?

xx

Sabrina32

I'd pay cash in any amount to be rid of this virus. I have a feeling they will be done in the next 10 years. Hopefull before then. Crossing my fingers that someone come up with something to help us. Because this is ridiculous, these companies make money hand over fist while people suffer needlessly. The time to cure herpes is now. We have the technology. Its a shame because if everyone who had herpes dontated 100 dollars we would be well on our way to a cure.

SuperManFace
The FDA has yet to approve a gene therapy.

Not true. There has been, but very few.

SuperManFace
Its a shame because if everyone who had herpes dontated 100 dollars we would be well on our way to a cure.

Its not the money its the bureaucracy. You don't understand how long it takes to complete a trial. Then, there is a required post trial observation period that is pretty freaking long. 10++ years regardless of the funding.

Sabrina32

I understand perfectly well how long it takes to run a trial. But there are plenty of trials that never get finished because they run out of money. I know its a lot of bull going on in the us. I hope another country beats them to the punch. I'd love to pay another country for doing something my country wouldn't do. There is no reason for this.