World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
arby3121

Acyclovir side effects

arby3121

Does anyone else have this experience? When on Acyclovir I get the tingly buzzy thighs and butt that won't quit. Plus I feel very anxious and nervous and have a hard time sleeping. I know it affects my mood and behavior (I'm not normally this grumpy), and I feel like I'm on serious caffeine overload. Any recommendations to counter these side effects? I'm on Day 3 of Acyclovir treatment, this is my first recurrence after my initial occurance 14 months ago (and so relieved my first year was relatively uneventful). I had started taking Acyclovir on daily treatment a year ago, but the side effects were too much for me, and I just decided to treat if/when recurrence happened.

wwdamron

try taking half a dose and/or get some xanax or other tranquilizer, if you can get it prescribed.

redbear

Hi

I'm taking Acyclovir at the moment b/c I'm experiencing my first outbreak of genital herpes and the sores are extremely painful. I just wanted to ask you how long it took for the Acyclovir to heal your symptoms?

wwdamron

I took valcyclovir 1000 mg twice per day initially, which is slightly stronger than acyclovir My symptons disappeared in a few days initially, but my doctor told me to take it for 2 weeks. I take 500 mg now twice per day only when i have or feel a recurence coming on, and it disappears within 48 hrs.

What I fount that helps with pain is Ibuprofin, i take a triple dose. Also what helps is lip balm that contains benzocaine(available over-the-counter).

If you are not totally healed in 2 weeks, I would suggest you go to the doctor, there are to other Main anti-virals available in the USA, that being Valacyclovir and Famcyclovir. Both are superior than what you are taking , but are also more expensive.

redbear

Do you experience discharge during ur outbreaks? I'm experiencing a lot of it and it stings extremely bad. I've been experiencing it since i've had herpes symptoms and i've had to wear pads b/c it's a lot of discharge. Do u think that will affect the healing process? B/c I heard the sores are supposed to turn into scabs and i'm not sure if they can with all the discharge constantly on it.

My doctor also recommended taking Ibuprofen. I haven't tried it yet but I definitely will now.