World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
kk90

i just had my first OB and im supposed to get my period soon!! HELP

kk90

idk what to do with my period now.. i think im getting it a few days early cuz of the extreme stress ive been under. i know that pads will irritate the skin so i should try to avoid them but im scared to use tampons. i think that my sores were only on the outside so i feel like i should be safe but i just dont know!! and if i cant wear pads is it safe to wear tampons when i sleep??? im so confused and scared. i know this is such an awkward subject but i need to know how to handle my period now that ive been diagnosed with herpes... :confused:

Betrayed2010

I think that you should be okay with the pads. I got my first outbreak on December 3rd of last year and my period came on December 10th and I wore pads with no pain or irratation. Tampons should be safe when you sleep but you have to change them very often because of the risk of toxic shock syndrome. Theres also a product out there called Diva Cups, but I am not sure exactly how they work. But as I said earlier, I think you should be okay with pads...I got my period 7 days after my first oubreak and I didnt have any problems w. the pads.

TheWorstNewsofMyLife2711

I was diagnosed on the 7th of this month and just got my period a few days ago. I always wore tampons, but when I used it this time it burned like fire! I was irritated for a couple days and had to break down and buy some pads. I hate pads b/c it makes me feel like I messing all over myself....but it did not bother me like the tampon. I called my doc and asked her was it ok to use tampons b/c I didn't know if I could or not and she said it was fine to use them. So I will try them again next month to see if I get the same reaction...but for now the pads are working just fine...so I think you will be ok too. I guess it just really depends on how sensitive your sores are if the pad rubbing against you will irritate you....but you have wear something. Try them both and see what is more comfortable.