World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Jade1991

Can I Kiss My Boyfriend

Jade1991

Hello,

I'm 19 an i have been recently diagnosed with herpes 2. Thankfully when I told my boyfriend the news he didn't break up with me :p. So I'm really scared of infecting him so i won't kiss him or do anything with him, an he's been getting really pissed at me. So hears my question can I kiss my boyfriend an not infect him?

Tiny

Hi Jade

Were you diagnosed HSV 2 by a blood test or by a swab? If it was by a blood test it is most likely to be genital but could be on your lips in rare cases. If it was by a swab and is genital it is unlikely that you could pass it too your boyfriend by kissing, as it is in the nerves down below. If he knows what you have and still wants to get intimate it is his choice to expose himself to the risk. Be careful and take precautions to decrease the risk to him. Suppressive anti-virals, condoms and avoiding intimacy during out breaks are all ways to do this. If you do have HSV 2 orally it has a very low risk of transference...not no risk but a low risk.

Remember it is his choice, if he knows and chooses to take the risk that is his prerogative. It might be worth asking him to get a blood test, that will let you know if he has HSV 1 (80% of people have HSV 1) or if he already has HSV2 (asymptomatically)...if he does have HSV 1 that will provide around 50% immunity to HSV 2. This will help you be more confident about the actual risk you are subjecting him to.

The risk of contracting herpes is normally in the single digits (but keep it mind that it is most infectious the first year after you get it and can be infectious even when you have no symptoms).

Good luck

JBnATL

Come to the Chat Room, there you will meet many nice fellow Herpsters who can offer you their support.

Good luck!

JB