World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
persevere

do you take Valtrex 1g for OBs? please read

persevere

hi all. i was prescribed 1g Valtrex over a year ago to take daily for OB prevention.

eventually i decided i didn't want to depend on big pharma for my health, so i stopped taking it, changed my lifestyle/diet a bit, and i've been OB free for over a year!

...until now :madd: a super stressful week has resulted in an OB.

so i have all these 1g Valtrex pills and i figure i will take some to try to control this OB and speed up the healing process.

the only thing is i'm not sure of the dosage. i KNOW i should talk to a doctor but i have no insurance and it's going to be weeks before i can get an appointment at the clinic i go to.

does anyone have any recommendations on dosage? i was thinking twice a day for 5 days...?

thank you so much for reading and if you have any advice...thanks!!!:flowers:

Sweet7

I gram/day should do it. I take and it helps. Most people are on 500 mg/day but take 2/day when they have ob's. Maybe that's where you got the 2/day from. If you decide to take 2 g/day, watch for little blood blisters around veins and abnormal bruising. There is an ingredient in Valtrex that can cause your body to not make enough blood platellets. It's very rare but happened to me once. I was ok but I might have needed a tranfusion if I hadn't cut back when I did. You may want to cut the 1 gram tablet in half and take half twice a day since it's been a while.

Kitty123

SO *ThATS* why I bruise and scratch my head as to how I got it!!

I got a bruise 2 weeks ago on my leg, and it was half the size of my hand, and it mysteriously disappeared 2 days later! ....but I didn't bang into anything.

Mistakenomore

Since you have 1g already, just take one tablet a day for 5 days. I just saw my doctor a week ago & this is what she prescribed to me if i get an outbreak. Hope this helps! Goodluck.

Sweet7

Kitty, pay close attention to your skin. If you start tiny clusteres of blood blisters while your taking any of the available antirials, go to the dr and get platellete count. I had them on the inside of my arms and legs. And I did have a few bruises that I didn't know where they came from. As you can see, I am fine but it could have turned deadly. Also, Diflucan can cause the same issue, so if you ever take that when your on antivirals, keep an eye out for those little blisteres. Most of them went away on my arms but there are still quite a few on my legs. I also look like I got a hicki on my neck. You should see the dirty looks I get from people who don't know that medication caused that. Anyhow, this is a rare condition so most people won't go through this but this is good to know just in case. You can die from it.