World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  

Will this feeling ever go away?

2 months ago I started dating a guy that I work with. Normally, I would never consider it, but we had liked eachother for a while and decided to keep things secret from everyone. We seemed to hit it off great. I really thought that this was going to be my normal relationship. I could really see myself being with this guy for a while. Half way through the second week I had an outbreak and had no idea what was going on. I went to the doctor's and they told me it was herpes. I told him that night and he didn't take off running like I expected. I told him that there was a good chance that I got it from him, but I also could have also given it to him. I actually thought that we might be able to stick through this by the way he reacted after telling him. About a week later, he had a cold sore. I've always heard that cold sores are caused by herpes, but I didn't think too much at first for some reason. I had done a little research, but I guess I felt comforted by the fact that I thought we were going to stay together.

After his test came back negative, he broke things off because he was too afraid to have sex with me. When I went back for my 2 week check up, my doctor explained that I had genital Type 1 and that she could tell from my blood work that I had gotten it within that last couple months. He was the only guy I had been with in the past 7 months! I started doing a lot of research and found out that I got this from him through oral sex. What a nightmare! I decided to tell him what I had learned about his cold sores and he told me that his doctor always just told him that as long as he didn't do anything when he had an actual sore that it was completely safe. WRONG! Now he is waiting to go back next month to get re-tested to see if he has it below the waist. We aren't talking and things are so awkward at work. I have so much anger and hurt feelings toward him and I'm not sure how to deal with it all. I know that I need to be able to forgive him, but how do I do that when I feel like he completely ruined my life. I know that this isn't the end of the world, but it sure is hard to convince my heart of that fact. My heart has been completely broken by a guy that I never even had the opportunity to love. I'm so confused and frustrated and unhappy all the time. I wake up in the middle of the night with a horrible feeling in my stomache that I'm going to be alone forever because of some stupid 3 week fling I had with some guy I work with. I just wonder if this feeling is ever going to go away!?

babybooh

I am sure it will go away hunny. Things always get better.

I can't tell you from personal experience, cause i am still hurt and angry at the person who gave me this. But I am positive things will get better for the both of us. =)

Jagg

Hey... you are not alone... I was with my boyfriend since October and was inlove with him, and being inlove means being faithful which I was... On the 16th I went to the doctor for what I thought was a UTI and razor burn, nope...full blown herpes... I got my results yesterday and was positive. The whole time I was ill my boyfriend was very "I love you, we will make it work, it will be okay" and now - he hasn't even seen me since I told him I was for sure diagnosed with herpes. He hasn't shown any signs, no cold sores, no nothing, but I thought we were in love, and now I have herpes and he is accusing me of cheating. This whole thing is awful and I know this isn't very reassuring for you and your situation but I guess I just wanted to let you know you are not alone, not at all :(

I'm so sorry for what you are going through. I couldn't imagine how much worse this would feel if we had been together for a while and I actually was in love with him. Is he at least going to go get tested?

I know I'm not alone, especially because all the research I've done says so, but as common as this is, you would think that it wouldn't be viewed as such a horrible thing. I wish you all the best and I suppose it makes me feel a little better to hear that other people are going through a similar situation, but at the end of the day I still feel like my world has been flipped completely upside down and I just have no idea where to even begin to feel better. Some of the stories I've read on hear have helped, but a lot of other ones make me more concerned.... concerned that I'm going to be feeling like this for a very long time. Having herpes is so much worse than a broken heart, but thats all I can come close to comparing it to: an incurable broken heart.