World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
rhoadeo29

newly-diagnosed and slept with old boyfriend... how to talk to him??

rhoadeo29

hey all -

i just found out that i have hsv-2 about 4 weeks ago. i thought that i had dealt with how this would affect my future life until last week when i slept with an old boyfriend after an alcohol-saturated night out - without telling him. i know that i broke an unspoken trust and also feel that i need to tell him. has anyone had a similar experience? can anyone offer suggestions on how to frame the conversation in the most positive way possible? thanks.

jeepers10

I was told (by an ex), that he may have exposed me to herpes while we were together. I have never had an outbreak, or any signs/symptoms. My blood test came back positive for HSV-1, but since I have had no genital outbreaks, my doctor said I was probably exposed to a cold sore when I was young.

Anyway, I respected that my ex could call me and tell. My sexual health is important to me, I needed to know and needed to be tested!

However, for 3 months, I believed that I was HSV-2 positive and asymptomatic , and expected the worse outcome!!. I too slept with someone and had tremendous guilt over not disclosing. I think that for me it was part of the DENIAL stage, even though I am HSV-1 positive w/ only cold sore OB's, I still NOW believe I should disclose even that. I never even thought about it before becoming a member of this forum! But I could still pass on HSV-1 orally or to the genitals, people deserve to know that!

babybooh

Well, my 2 cents is to tell him, no matter what.

The person who gave it to me never told me, or even acknowledged that he had it. I would have respected him so much if he had just fessed up afterward.

But even if he doesn't respect you and gets mad, you still need to tell him.