World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
legobuilder

Does anyone know what treatment this may have been???

legobuilder

I have always gotten these nasty cold sores. When I was younger I had a really bad case of it. My mom called the doctor and the nurse said she had used this for years and it really dried them up quick. It did not prevent them, but once they were there it dried them up. I can't remember the name of the product. It was in a brown bottle, similiar to proxide, but much smaller. It was a liquid that had to be applied to the sore with a q tip. It was orangy brown in color and would even stain the skin. It had a strong medicine smell to it. I have searched high and low for this. It dried these nasty things out so quick and stopped the pain associated with them. Does anyone happen to know what this could have been? This was over 15 years ago.

Also, where can I buy spirit of camphor at? I am in the US and can't find it in any drug store. Also, do I want spirit of camphor or camphor oil? Kind of confused about the differences between the two.

Thanks!

JBnATL

For your first question, find an older pharmacist, and ask him/her. I bet they will know what you are talking about and can tell you if it exists today.

For your second question, just search the internet. If it is available here, you should be able to find it doing a basic search.

Come to the Chat Room, there you will find many nice fellow Herpsters who can offer you their support.

Good luck!

JB

Kqk

Little brown bottle

Most over the counter medicine is sold in little brown bottles. But, I believe what you are referring to is mercurichrome. It would stain your skin....so would Iodine (Tincture of Iodine). I don't think you can buy mercurichrome anymore.

I'm surprised nobody here remembers a parent dabbing this on your scraped knees!!! It was before Bactine.

Sanner

legobuilder

Thanks for the replies! That will totally stink if it was the mercurichrome. That stuff worked miracles. It would dry that booger to a complete scab in less than 24 hours. I would then follow it up with neosporin and it would be completely gone in a few days. At least that means I am not going crazy about not being able to find it any more. Maybe I can find it online somewhere....

I do know it was not Iodine, but a similar color to Iodine.