World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Green n Blue

Can cold sores appear in your throat??

Green n Blue

I was diagnosed with genital herpes on April of last year. I learned my ex had passed it on to me when I had him get tested after my diagnosis and found that he had had both types of herpes for a while. He said he didn't know but that's another story.

I was diagnosed only with the genital type and I only had symptoms for that one. My ex never had any cold sores while being with me (as far as I could see) and neither have I so far. However, yesterday when I was eating I noticed that my throat hurt really, really bad every time I swallowed. At first I thought I could be catching a cold, although I have no other symptoms. Today I woke up with no pain, but after the usual meals of the day my throat hurts a little even if I'm not eating anything. I looked and I see these small blisters in my throat (in the uvula - if that's the correct name of that area-) and in the very back of my mouth where my wisdom teeth used to be (only on the left side, below). Could these be cold sores? I have several of these small blisters on those two areas, nothing in my lips.

I went to celebrate this Saturday that I finished my associate degree with some friends and had a lot of tequila shots, which I hadn't done before. So I don't know if it could be just irritation from the alcohol?? Pls if someone can help me...I don't know if I'm just being paranoid which I've been a lot ever since I was diagnosed with genital herpes...thanks!

JBnATL

This is a question for your doctor.

If you were diagnosed only with genital herpes than this is not what it is. Genital herpes does not travel to other parts of your body by itself and does not automatically cause oral cold sores. Besides herpes is mostly a skin condition, so I doubt you have it in your throat.

Don't trust diagnosis from strangers you meeting online. Go ask your doctor.

Come to the Chat Room, there you will find many nice fellow Herpsters who can offer you their advice.

Good luck!

JB

inquiring1

The Simple Answer Is Yes!

Hi GnB,

The simple answer to your question is yes one can have HSV in their throat, but JB is correct in saying that this is a question for your doctor. A doctor is the only way to get confirmation, and treatment.

Hope you feel better,

Inquiring1 ;)