World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
gatheringmoon

Newly Diagnosed with many questions

gatheringmoon

I was diagnosed roughly two weeks ago. I have been experiencing itching and tingling for about 3 months with two bumps that were under the skin. The last time I went to the doctor she prescribed me yeast medicine and it seemed to make the bumps smaller, but no relief for the itching. I was then prepared for her to do a biopsy when I went in. The skin had changed in texture, but no blisters or pain. She started the examination and said it looked like a herpetic outbreak. I immediately started crying and she was trying to reassure me that it was not the end of the world. I immediately filled my prescription for Valtrex and have been taking it since I went, but I STILL have itching. The texture of the skin is much better so it seems to be doing something. I am very confused though. A lot of the pictures I have seen and information I have read on this site do not seem to be the same as what I have going on, but if the medicine is helping then that has to be what it is. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Should the medicine have worked by now?

I had a very difficult time talking to my partner. I had never dreamed that I could ever had this as my sex life has been limited. Although, when I was sexually active at a younger age it was not in the day and age where everyone used condoms. They were only used to prevent pregnancy and were a nuisance. I talked to her about how I could have contracted it and she said it could have laid dormant for many years.

The other problem I have is that I cannot seem to find much information on how it is spread between same sex partners. We have not had sex since I went to the doctor and do not know how I am ever going to be able to do it again without this being in the forefront of my mind. I am uncomfortable exposing her to me. She asked me if she should be tested and we have read about this STD together. I am on the fence about that too. If she gets tested and does not have it, then I am going to be really worried. If she gets tested and does have it, then I am going to feel extremely guilty.

Any advice on what to do and where I can find the information I am searching for would be greatly appreciated.

WarriorKing

I believe in life that it is better to know the facts then stew in mystery. I think she should get tested. You can deal with your choices afterward, whichever way they go. Also many people don't have classic blisters, some just have redness or bumps.