World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
prairiegirl

Red bumps on hands/knee?? Very confused!!

prairiegirl

Hello everyone. I was just diagnosed last month with HSV 2 (my Valentine's Day present) and my outbreak has pretty much cleared up, but I have found a red bump on two separate fingers. They haven't blistered and they look more like a mosquito bite. They also tingle a little bit sometimes. Is this related to herpes?? As part of my initial OB, I also had one red bump appear on my knee. This one turned into a big white head and then started leaking, so I assumed this was a herpes sore. I'm so confused because I've read that when herpes is on other parts of the body, they appear in clusters. I did get a cluster on my inner thigh which looks very "typical," but these other bumps don't look typical at all....

Does this mean that I would have viral shedding on those fingers and my knee? Should I be avoiding skin to skin contact with people while I have these bumps or even when they clear up?? Will I get these every outbreak?

I'm very confused about all this. I was super prepared for the sores to show up "down there," but these other appearances are concerning me!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Tiny

Hey prairiegirl

I get paranoid at times too...I know exactly how you feel!

I think more likely than not these other spots and bumps are probably not herpes. Transferring it around your body is rare but it does happen so it is impossible to say with certainty. I think the best thing you can do...for your own piece of mind (as much as it may annoy your GP) is go and get them swabbed if you get them again--then you can know for sure. I know I started getting paranoid about itching and tears around my bottom went and got them swabbed twice, negative both times...apparently its "just dermatitis"...joy!

Also herpes can present very differently in different people...I have yet to see a picture of a genital OB that looks like mine...but I've had mine swabbed and it is definitely herpes...so the "rules" or "typical" presentations may not apply in your case either.

Not particularly helpful...I guess I'm advising you to go get your frequent visitor card punched at your locals doctors office! Don't rely on a visual diagnosis though, drs can be just as confused and ill informed as the rest of us at times--you want a nice swab and a proper scientific test (and I hope on this rare occasion that it will be a test you fail...because nobody need more herpes in weird and wonderful locations)!

Good luck.

prairiegirl

Thanks for the reply, VTiny. I really appreciate it. I will definitely follow your advice. I'm trying so hard not to stress myself out - I guess I'm just always on edge from wondering what my outbreak pattern will end up being. I'm almost completely cleared up from my first OB, but am always feeling like I'm on the cusp of another. I'm so scared that I'll be one of those people who get OBs all the time! I know I just need to relax and understand that I just need to breathe and take it a day at a time especially in this first year. Well, got through month #1 - at least that's something! ;) Thanks, again!

buhterkup

i get those little blisters on my hands, ankles, knees, random spots too and i never got them before i was diagnosed. the only way i found to get rid of them is to use the dynamiclear stuff on them--the sooner the better. i don't think they are easily spread, i just think it's part of the package deal with this crappy virus. as hard as it might be don't stress yourself out (easier said than done), but when you are stressed that brings on more ob's and makes your current ob last longer.

prairiegirl

Thanks for your reply, buhterkup! I found that icing the area can get rid of them, too. I think you're right that these stupid red bumps are just part of the whole package. I'm usually able to keep my calm and I know it's irrational to a point, but when I see bumps in other areas, I get really paranoid about making sure those areas don't come in contact with other people... especially my baby nephew. I would never forgive myself if I infected him somehow!!

guest11111

When I got my first OB it was on my lower lip. My MD just prescribed me acroylivir without doing a swab. He said everyone get them in the summer due to the sun exposure. He told me not to worry. Ever since my first OB I've getting one or two red bumps on my face, elbows, and hands at least once a month. I'm freaking out since I thought herpes were only on the lips, fingers, and genitals. I've googled for herpes on body but have yet to see anything. These bumps on my faces, elbow, and legs usually go away by itself within 2-5 days. If I take acroylivir then the bumps disappear within 1-2 days. Is this herpes or something else? If it's contagious herpes I would like to know so know to avoid hugging people.

buhterkup

look up Herpes Whitlow... i think it is easy to spread to other parts of your own body, but not sure about others