World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
TryingToBeEthical

I have a question about HSV-type 1

TryingToBeEthical

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with genital herpes-specifically HSV type 1-in early February.

Can I transmit genital herpes-HSV type 1-to someone who already has oral herpes HSV-type 1? I was of the belief that the virus was one and the same, and that anyone who already has HSV-type 1 (whether genitally or orally) basically has acquired immunity. I will (of course) still offer full disclosure to future partners, but since such a large percentage of the population already has HSV-type 1...

I would really appreciate it if someone could answer this question. I am fully willing to accept my own responsibilities, and do not want to transmit this nasty itchy infection to others.

Denise 07

Well usually if someone already has oral hsv-1 than they should be safe not to get it genitally. Although herpes is very sneaky so there really is no simple answer to this. I have genital hsv-1 and we assume my husband has oral hsv-1. I never have seen a coldsore on his mouth the whole time we've been together and that's been 21 years. I had my first genital outbreak in November 2009. So far he hasn't caught it below the waist. We don't have protected sex and we still give eachother oral without any problems. I don't take suppressive meds but I do take lysine daily.