World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
CaliSunshine

2nd Outbreak Of Cold Sore On Lip

CaliSunshine

Like the title say's this was my second outbrake. So I know basicly nothing about cold sores. I would like to know what can "trigger" a cold sore? I know being sick is one but what other things cause outbrakes? Also what precausions should I take? I know to wash my hands all the time and not share food and drinks or towels. If I do use a towel should I throw it out or by washing it will it be ok? Omg I feel so overwhelmed trying to live with so many restrictions all thanks to this virus. Well any help would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks!

living777

I've had cold sores all my life (practically) so as a result have had lots of unfortunate experience with them. You don't need to throw out your towel, just wash in hot water. After an outbreak I would suggest using a new toothbrush. I try and stay away from caffeine, alcohol, chocolate and major amounts of sugar (and definitely artificial sweetners) --but don't take this to extremes unless I actually have a cold sore. To help cure a cold sore -- get lots of sleep, eat yogurt, some active manuka honey helps heal it super fast--and if possible ask your doctor for a description to Valtrex (it has a generic as well). 4 1 gram pills in 24 hours will cut time spent with the cold sore down to less then a week (sometimes a lot less).

Katiehope

Cali,

Don't worry, I get them all the time and living777's advice is perfect. I do the exact same things and it really helps. It also helps not to get too stressed about it. There are a lot worse things you can have.

Katie

CaliSunshine

Thanks :) I'll keep this in mind for when I get my next outbreak!