World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Simon

Cold sore - avoiding licking lips!

Simon

I always assume cold sores to be on the join between the lip and the skin, but mine is currently on the lip itself, so a bit more inside than usual.

I'm getting paranoid about closing my mouth, and/or licking my lips, and spreading the virus. Consequently my lips are drying out and peeling like crazy (and they were already burning/tingling, from - I presume - the H).

What do you think? Should you make a point of avoiding licking your lips or closing your mouth completely when you have one of those 'slightly inside' cold sores? How easy is it spread to the tongue or opposite lip? :confused:

leahb

I'd like to know the same thing! I currently have one on my lip. Is there a section of the forum where it just pertains to facial cold sores?

chp

spreading...

so you have a cold sore on your lip.... it cant spread anywhere else on your mouth region. its already there so thats where it breaks out. you cant reinfect yourself. the virus lives in the nerves ride behind your ear and breaks out anywehre between your chin and nose. and yes that includes your tongue. lick your lips all you want, although it might feel gross.. dont touch it and rub your eyes you can spread it to your eyes. actually just dont touch it at all. but licking your lips, youll be fine.

Simon

Thanks chp.

Having heard how cold sores are so contagious, it seemed logical to think that you could pass it from upper lip to lower lip. But if the single virus/neural pathway covers that whole facial region, then I see what you mean.

Mine still hasn't disappeared, almost 4 weeks on. Just keeps peeling off a small circular layer of dry skin tissue at a time, over and over, but hasn't blistered or scabbed or anything like that. Strange.

chp

??

did you get it swabbed?? might not be a cold sore. ive had about three cold sores in my life. one was a scab, one was an obvious lesion after tingling and one was another swollen patch of red skin on my lip that came and left within a week. the other day i felt a piece of rubbery skin near my lip and played and played with it and now i have what looks like a cold sore, but its just not acting likeit... pls i got puss out of it(like pimple pus). and now i have this red thing piece of dry skin that just doesnt feel or act like a cold sore but i feel like everyoens gawking at it lol.

Simon

My doc just said it's "probably" a cold sore, and didn't need to be swabbed. Certainly it's been burning a LOT (though less over time) and certainly back in January I had what looked like the archetypal cold sore on my other lip. I wonder if my body's preventing this current one from turning into a full blown cold sore? Hasn't been any pus or anything.