World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
matthew56

Fear is killing me..

matthew56

Hey guys,

I just started reading this forum today and noticed how helpful and sincere/caring you guys are. Here's my story summed up..

I noticed two small pimples below my shaft on the right side of my scrotum. My first thought was it had to do with shaving. These pimples were a bit more red than usual, you can clearly see them as whiteheads etc. So I (like an idiot) decided to pop them, there was literally no pain at all. I decided to take a picture of them prior to popping just to be extra sure. This is what happened in chronological order;

- Pimples disappeared completely within 3 days after I noticed them

- Saw a Doctor this morning, took blood tests for HIV and herpes

- Showed him the picture I took, he said it could be herpes or just irritation from shaving

- No pain/itching at all so far

Now here is the tricky part. I got back with my ex back in January this year, prior to that she had been my only sex partner for the last 24 months. She recently got tested for STD's (they told her it included testing for herpes as well) and the results all came back NEGATIVE. Now from what I've been reading about usual cases is that your first ob is most likely painful and the most severe. I'm thinking to myself that I may have a case of mild herpes (best way I can put it). So my girlfriend tested negative two weeks ago, that would mean I was infected for the last couple years...? And I heard you can be a carrier for HSV2 without any symptoms. So I'm assuming with the knowledge I've gained from this forum in the last few hours that I have HSV2 and did not pass it onto my girlfriend who was tested the within the last 14 days...?

Any information or feedback would help at this point. Right now I'm an emotional wreck.. I mean I'm not crying but I might as well be with these feelings eating me alive. =(

-

Daisy79

I'm sorry to be a downer, but it is quite possible that your girlfriend still contracted H as it takes time for it to show up in bloodwork (It can take up to 3 months) I had a positive culture but negative bloodwork because I was recently infected. Also, not everyone has a really bad initial outbreak. Many people are carriers of the virus but asymptomatic. I recommended that she get tested again in a few weeks/months to be sure.

matthew56

I'm not one of those naive guys who think their girlfriends wouldn't do such a thing as date or have intercourse in between break ups. But lets just say I'm 99% sure she didn't have sex with anyone, and that's not my pride or self esteem talking.

She will be getting tested once again, I spoke to her about it today. Time will tell exactly what's going on.. Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean a positive culture? Hate to say it, but this is the most I've read about testing etc and I'm trying to take in as much as I can to be prepared for the worst. I did read some people talking about blood tests not being 100% accurate etc. You also said not everyone has a bad initial ob, does this mean I can be a carrier with mild outbreaks? (obviously anyone infected is a carrier) And if the test results come back negative or even positive, what other ways can I be tested to be 100%? From what I saw on my genital area, it didn't seem like anything that you can actually test. It just looked like about 3 tiny pimples that were red and white at the tips. And thanks for the quick reply, really helps :)

Daisy79

In my situation, I had a pretty bad first outbreak meaning there was pain, fever, chills etc. I wasn't even expecting that it was herpes until I went to the doctor and she told me that's what it looked like. I wasn't able to visually see my outbreak because of it's location. In order to make a determination of whether it was H or not, my doctor gave me both a culture test and bloodwork. In a culture test, they take a swab/scrape of the supposed lesion and test it for H. I have read that it is key in this type of testing that you go in as soon as they appear since if they begin to heal, the culture may not be able to pick up enough of the H virus to detect it. My culture test only told me if I had H or not, but did not determine type.

My ex who gave me this, had oral H and I believe he also has genital H, both type 1. He had what I believed was a genital outbreak a year and a half ago, although he was traveling so I didn't see it myself. He described it as 3 or 4 small bumps near the head of his penis that seemed to not hurt or bother him otherwise. He said it went away in a few days. He did not have it cultured but had bloodwork only after it cleared. Since he already had oral H type 1, when it came back positive for type 1 only, he thought he was in the clear.....

If you read about outbreaks here on the website, you will see that symptoms can vary a wide range. It can be as simple as some mild itching, to full blown lesions that take weeks to heal. I have also read that women's outbreaks on average tend to be more severe than men, but you will read stories on here where women are infected and won't have a noticeable outbreak for years. Each persons situation varies. Also, I think if you have oral H type 1, and genitally, I would assume the outbreaks wouldn't be that bad if you have built up antibodies already.

Also keep in mind, Genital H can be caused by type 1 or 2. I think along with your bloodwork, if you ever notices "pimples" or "lesions" go in and see your doctor as soon as possible for a culture. A Blood test can only tell you which type you have, not necessarily the location and in my ex's case.....My ex really should have had a culture test and seen a doctor right away so that we both would have had a better idea of what we'd be dealing with....

Unfortunately, people don't come upon this information a lot of times until AFTER they find out they have the virus.

rubberbanditslover

hey matthew im 17 and a few days ago just found out i have herpes even tho me and my bf have been 2geter 4 8 months and none of us have cheated and none of us have had coldsores so wev no idea how iv got it as we both only had sex wit 3 ppl b4 we wer togeter, and we wont find out 4 afew days if he has it so i no how u feel, i hope ur ok and if she has it use cant have sex wen either of use have symptoms, but if use dont use can still have children and they cant get it genetically, they can only get it if she gets symptoms in labour and she produces vaginally but the doctors wil do a cesarean to keep the baby safe and protected, so if she does its not the end of the world, i was brickin it b4 i properly researched and talked about it wit other ppl on this site so just be safe and clean regularly wishin u the best of luck :)

matthew56

I'm sorry about your situation with your Ex. I guess we just have to accept it regardless of how we got to this point.. I didn't know you could have type 1 on your genitals. I thought type 1 meant oral herpes which are cold sores etc. The only thing I'm noticing right now is I am urinating a bit more often, so I thought it could be a UTI (which are very rare in men). But I couldn't find anything on the web stating a UTI would give you those physical symptoms. Thanks again for replying, I'm really going nuts here at work and have not been able to focus or get anything done for the past 5 hours. So type 1 would be the better of two 2 to have correct?

One more thing; can I go and get a culture test done even with small/tiny pimples?

matthew56
hey matthew im 17 and a few days ago just found out i have herpes even tho me and my bf have been 2geter 4 8 months and none of us have cheated and none of us have had coldsores so wev no idea how iv got it as we both only had sex wit 3 ppl b4 we wer togeter, and we wont find out 4 afew days if he has it so i no how u feel, i hope ur ok and if she has it use cant have sex wen either of use have symptoms, but if use dont use can still have children and they cant get it genetically, they can only get it if she gets symptoms in labour and she produces vaginally but the doctors wil do a cesarean to keep the baby safe and protected, so if she does its not the end of the world, i was brickin it b4 i properly researched and talked about it wit other ppl on this site so just be safe and clean regularly wishin u the best of luck :)

Hey there,

I just saw your post, thanks for the info. I was just worried about the same thing for the pregnancy and how I was going to explain to my girlfriend the bad news. That helped a lot! And it's so true about the emotional/mental pain you get from this.. I feel like dying right now!! And the worst part is I'M the guy people call when they have personal issues! My Doctor said he can find out on Wednesday being the earliest... I just don't know how I'm going to sleep at night.

rubberbanditslover

im the same ppl come to me, but my bf decided that hed rather have it bcuz he doesnt want me to leave him to protect him bccuz i love him, dw i felt the same until i properly researched and talked to people, ur gonna be ok i promise :), were not dyin our kids wont have it, we just have to keep clean and not have sex wen we have a recurance :), believe me i was really depressed until earlier, wednesday is wen my bf finds out as well but i hope u no that ur not alone, if u need sum1 to talk to talk to me but u shud relax and get sum gud sleep tonight because u need it and u and ur gf will be ok even if she does have it r doesnt, however its more dangerous 4 her to get it if she doesnt have it, but gud luck and u need a shoulder im here :)

Daisy79

Yes, you can definitely get type 1 on your genitals. I heard it is on the rise since oral sex is becoming increasingly more common so people are passing it from their mouth to their partners genitals. My doctor told me this is possible even without visible sores due to what's called viral shedding. It's interesting that there seems to be this idea that type 1 is better than type 2. I still do not know the type I have yet (Although I suspect type 1 knowing about my ex) From what I have read, type 1 prefers the mouth so if you get it genitally, people on average are less likely to have frequent outbreaks, BUT you will read stories here where people have type 1 genitally and do have frequent outbreaks. The same goes for people with genital h type 2, you'd expect more outbreaks but they hardly get them.

I get the impression also, that if you have type 1, approximately 70% or more of the population has type 1 (whether it is oral or genital) and that if you have a partner who has type 1, they already have the antibodies. I don't think that means for example if they had type 1 orally that they couldn't get it genitally ( as if case of my ex) but just that it is less likely to happen.

As far as your pimples being small, I think only a medical professional could answer that and the only sure fire way to know is to actually go in immediately after they appear to get it cultured.

Good luck to you. If you have time, reading the threads and information on this site is really helpful. I mean, I was only diagnosed 3 weeks ago yet I have learned SO MUCH from the people here. They were able to answer questions that I couldn't get answered looking up just general info on H which tends to give some generic answers.

curiousD

I'm new here. Just found out 2 wks ago that I tested positive for gh. My husband had it and didn't tell me, he was afraid I wouldn't marry him. Now the marriage is on the outs. I refuse to stay with him just because he 'marked' me. He had an outbreak 3 mos into the marriage. Told me I could only get it if he had an outbreak, otherwise I was safe. Another lie. So, I developed shingles on my chest about 6 wks ago and got tested at my next physical. Kevin Trudeau says there are 'cures'. Can this be true?