World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
wthwtf

Diagnosised Today, but I've had this for 6 years

wthwtf

First off....I'm so glad I found this site and I wish none of has had to be here.

Here is my story.

As the title states, I received my results today. I had an outbreak about 6 years ago and had then had a couple a year for the next 3 years. Once the 4th year and nothing for the last 2 years. Every outbreak was in the exact same spot and only one blister. I was swap tested years ago. The doctor said it was best to swab instead of use the blood test becuase of the HSV1 results. The swab was neg, but that was probably becuase of the stage of the blister. I had been married at this point for 10 years so my doctors told me not to worry much and if anything it was probably HSV1 transfered by my husband from a cold sore. Found out some time later that my husband who I loved dearly and still do cheated on me so we could still be talking HSV2 here. Still didn't think I had Herpes because other gynos told me it apeared to be an ingrown hair.

Fast forward...Im in my mid 30s and was widowed over a year ago. Last week I decided to have a full STD panel just settle my nerves and the HSV test was positive... HSV 1 or HSV2 who knows and I this point it doesn't matter. I'm really upset about this.

Here is the catch. I recently started a relationship with someone I truely care about. We have been intimate for about 6 weeks (appx 20 times). We have used a condom everytime, but now I'm worried. I know if this is HSV2 that my husband gave it to me. i was faithful our entire marriage. I feel quilty even saying this becuase my husband was an amazing man. (Breath) I know I need to tell my boyfriend, but I can't imagine what this will be like. I'm going to see him tomorrow night and I don't have the nerve to tell him yet, so I will have to reject his sexual advanced tomrrow. This is all so crazy...Any advice??

RealisticGal
First off....I'm so glad I found this site and I wish none of has had to be here.

Here is my story.

As the title states, I received my results today. I had an outbreak about 6 years ago and had then had a couple a year for the next 3 years. Once the 4th year and nothing for the last 2 years. Every outbreak was in the exact same spot and only one blister. I was swap tested years ago. The doctor said it was best to swab instead of use the blood test becuase of the HSV1 results. The swab was neg, but that was probably becuase of the stage of the blister. I had been married at this point for 10 years so my doctors told me not to worry much and if anything it was probably HSV1 transfered by my husband from a cold sore. Found out some time later that my husband who I loved dearly and still do cheated on me so we could still be talking HSV2 here. Still didn't think I had Herpes because other gynos told me it apeared to be an ingrown hair.

Fast forward...Im in my mid 30s and was widowed over a year ago. Last week I decided to have a full STD panel just settle my nerves and the HSV test was positive... HSV 1 or HSV2 who knows and I this point it doesn't matter. I'm really upset about this.

Here is the catch. I recently started a relationship with someone I truely care about. We have been intimate for about 6 weeks (appx 20 times). We have used a condom everytime, but now I'm worried. I know if this is HSV2 that my husband gave it to me. i was faithful our entire marriage. I feel quilty even saying this becuase my husband was an amazing man. (Breath) I know I need to tell my boyfriend, but I can't imagine what this will be like. I'm going to see him tomorrow night and I don't have the nerve to tell him yet, so I will have to reject his sexual advanced tomrrow. This is all so crazy...Any advice??

My advice is to tell him the exact same thing you told us here. Just tell him exactly how this has happened to you.

That will let him know that prior to this you had been tested, but the results were negative, or the doctors told you your symptoms "didn't look like HSV." But now you have had a positive test. So you just now found out you have this, you don't know exactly when you got it, but now you know and ---- because you care about him ---- you needed to let him know too. Be prepared with information for his questions, including things the two of you can do to decrease the possibility of transmission. This site has things you can print out from the links on the right side of this page, even.

He then has the option to decide what he wants to do. Either way, you need to accept his choice, secure in the knowledge that you gave him that choice as soon as you knew about this.

:wavey:

RealisticGal

By the way, I suggest you get a type specific IgG-based blood test, so you will know exactly what type you do have. And your partner should do the same.

Chances are high he has at least one type, since about 80% of the North American adult population does (but about 70% of them do not know it, due to lack of symptoms and lack of testing).

blessed82

i would say just to tell him, he may be more understanding than u think.