MSM (sulfur) a trigger?

Maybe it's a coincidence ... but I started taking MSM (1,000 mg capsules) last week Tuesday and woke up Wednesday w/ a genital breakout. It's singular and small. It peaked yesterday (Saturday) and that's when it became painful ... maybe it's painful due to the location (lower part of genitals). I've been living w/ HSV-2 for at least 15 years ... outbreaks are rare and it's been a loooooong times since an outbreak has been painful ... although the pain might be due to it's location.

Has anyone experienced MSM triggering an outbreak? I'm wondering if it's a trigger or just a coincidence ... would like to continue taking MSM, especially for my knees.

I was just reading about Arginine and Lysine, and that Gelatin is very high in Arginine ... bad for those w/ HSV 1 & 2 ... all these years I never knew this. The MSM is in Gelatin capsules. The outbreak is probably a coincidence because I couldn't possibly have a outbreak overnight from this.

I started my period on Saturday ... so it's that time of the month that I'm most suseptible to an outbreak. I totally forgot about this because I was soooooo focused on the MSM being the culprit.

Anyway ... if anyone is/has taken MSM I'd like to hear your experience. Thanks! :smile:

• 1 year later...

I am using a sulfur cream for a yeast infection and it seems to have moved my herpes breakout... which I am fine with. My OBs for last year and half have been internal on Cervix.. bleh. No real way to put anything on it to heal. Takes weeks to heal. This month I started using sulfanilamide cream and I have OBs on vaginal lips. Already healing them after just end of 2nd day. Roughly 48 hours from initial notice of sores and pain until I am scabbing over. I will take that over weeks any day.

Sulfur is supposed to be a treatment for herpes. I found several sites by googling about it.

Anyway, I wonder if it is causing it to move around on you..? I have read when something is working on herpes that it causes a worse breakout than normal and in weird spots and that gets less so after each OB. It gets worse before it gets better.

I am thinking of taking MSM. I guess I will find out if it causes it to move around.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been taking the MSM powder for about a week and a half. So far biggest breakout so far and in a different spot. I think it may be a healing crisis though. I am going to continue to take it for a few more weeks and see if it eases things up over time. I like to think that anything that moves my virus around may be a good thing long run.

So I commit to at least a month of taking this. Of course, the powder is the most disgusting thing I have swallowed in a long while. bleh. I will be getting capsule form in a few days. I shudder just thinking about swallowing a bit of water with the powder dissolved in it.

• 1 month later...

Well, I had updated this but due to the server losses.. it didn't last. Anyway, It has been exactly one month from my last post and I am outbreak free. Within about a week of the previous posting it just cleared up and has stayed that way. I am thinking the MSM and famvir are the two components for me. I had the beginning of a lip breakout after 26 hours with no sleep and stopped it cold with MSM, echinacea/astragalus, doubled up famvir 500mg 2x daily for day, and bee propolis. Next morning no tingle pain on lip. All good. Still no OBs AND only a couple of days of Prodomes since last full OB. I can handle THAT.

I did find a pill form of the MSM.. soooo much easier to take MSM in pill form. The powder may work better but if you puke it back up.. defeats the purpose. Oh well.

I was taking the echinacea/astragalus 400mg 3x daily (down to 1x daily) and the bee propolis 250mg 3x daily but down to 1x daily for the next week to see if any prodomes. Testing which of them is actually really helping me. Plus I was popping a bunch of supplement pills and trying to lower the total pill count to necessaries.

Hope it helps you if you try the MSM. Personal opinion, I think if you started out on a much lower dose such as 500mg 2x daily maybe you wouldn't have a healing crisis like I did. I started out at a much higher rate - like 3000mg 2x daily. I am now taking 3000mg 3x daily along with my famvir 250mg 2x daily. Anyway, my update.

• 6 months later...
OrgSulfur4Heal
I have been taking the MSM powder for about a week and a half. Of course, the powder is the most disgusting thing I have swallowed in a long while. bleh. I will be getting capsule form in a few days. I shudder just thinking about swallowing a bit of water with the powder dissolved in it.

To mask the bitter taste, try adding a teaspoon of (organic) apple cider vinegar or maple syrup to your mixture of MSM powder and water. Over time as your body completes the initial stage of its detoxification process, you should find that taking sulfur doesn't bother you as much as it does at the outset.

Actually the taste got worse over time. I tried multiple ways. Each day was worse than the last to the point I was throwing up. I went to pill form which was fine but it didn't help me except to give me great skin and constipation. lol. It did seem to help for a bit for the hsv but then no matter the dosage it started getting worse again.

I find baking soda is better overall and works quicker when I have been eating too much acidic foods. Just have to watch the blood pressure since I am prone to high blood pressure. That and eating less meat and more veggies. Basically trying to keep my body alkaline which is hard since I seem prone to acidic (acid reflux, etc). I am basically just trying to eat better, less junk, more veggies and moderate exercise when my hip bursitis allows me to. Just got a kayak so I am hoping that will help me exercise more since I am in a state with tons of rivers and lakes which happen to be close to me.

Thanks for the tip though. Maybe someone else will be able to use it.

OrgSulfur4Heal
Actually the taste got worse over time. I tried multiple ways. Each day was worse than the last to the point I was throwing up. I went to pill form which was fine but it didn't help me except to give me great skin and constipation. lol.

The production of organic sulfur starts out in crystalline form. If it's converted into a powder, it loses some of its natural potency. The pill form of MSM loses any remaining benefits because of the addition of anti-caking additives like calcium stearate or silicon dioxide that prevent sulfur from being absorbed by our cells. The most potent form of organic sulfur that I've found is one that is plant-based made from wood pulp.

OrgSulfur4Heal
Which goes back to me puking. Lol. I will just stick with baking soda.

To enable MSM to optimally perform its job of transporting oxygen to your cells and remove toxins from your body, you have to take a teaspoon of the crystalline product at least twice a day and drink sufficient amounts of water. The reason you need to take MSM at a minimum of twice a day is because sulfur is depleted from the body after 12 hours. Six to eight glasses of water (which can include juices) per day is suggested. Also, don't consume MSM at the same time you're taking your other supplements, vitamins, or medicines. Those latter products usually contain the sulfur-negating, anti-caking agents that I referred to earlier. Take your MSM dosage first (say, as part of your regular meal), then wait at least 30 minutes before taking your supplements.

Well, I had updated this but due to the server losses.. it didn't last. Anyway, It has been exactly one month from my last post and I am outbreak free.
Hello, new here, looking to destroy this misarable virus or at least beat it around a little bit. :p Nice to meet you all. :) I was wondering how your outbreaks have been since using MSM? Was there any major noticeable improvement? Thanks for the info. :)
Hello, new here, looking to destroy this misarable virus or at least beat it around a little bit. :p Nice to meet you all. :) I was wondering how your outbreaks have been since using MSM? Was there any major noticeable improvement? Thanks for the info. :)

Hi infoscout, just wanted to say welcome :itsme: . to our site. Here is a great handbook for h. www.westoverheights.com, please take time and read all you can. Take care and feel free to ask any questions. Hugs, Ace :hithere:

• 6 months later...
Maybe it's a coincidence ... but I started taking MSM (1,000 mg capsules) last week Tuesday and woke up Wednesday w/ a genital breakout. It's singular and small. It peaked yesterday (Saturday) and that's when it became painful ... maybe it's painful due to the location (lower part of genitals). I've been living w/ HSV-2 for at least 15 years ... outbreaks are rare and it's been a loooooong times since an outbreak has been painful ... although the pain might be due to it's location.

Has anyone experienced MSM triggering an outbreak? I'm wondering if it's a trigger or just a coincidence ... would like to continue taking MSM, especially for my knees.

I was just reading about Arginine and Lysine, and that Gelatin is very high in Arginine ... bad for those w/ HSV 1 & 2 ... all these years I never knew this. The MSM is in Gelatin capsules. The outbreak is probably a coincidence because I couldn't possibly have a outbreak overnight from this.

I started my period on Saturday ... so it's that time of the month that I'm most suseptible to an outbreak. I totally forgot about this because I was soooooo focused on the MSM being the culprit.

Anyway ... if anyone is/has taken MSM I'd like to hear your experience. Thanks! :smile:

I know this is an old post, but I was wondering did you continue to use the MSM? If so did your break-out disappear? I just started it and woke up to a break out.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...

MSM Sulfur outcome, is it worth taking? I started it with a long list of other supplements and it I began a week or so later and had an almost immediate worse than ever outbreak in 4 areas of the 6 I have them in, the weed keeps growing since Aug 2019. 

I take 3000mg lysine

Vitamin C by the hour (doctor approved)

Val & Cylover medications barely help, one of them doesn't work at all. Natural Progesterone Cream NPC on the skin near sight has and vitamin C supplement has cleared my face wholly.

and all of the list below was started Christmas Eve, today would have been day 4 on MSM Sulfur, but I temporarily stopped due to outbreak growing quickly. At first I took it with suppliments, yesterday an hour prior, as if to wake up the virus and fight it with the rest. MSM has definately woken up my virus. Should I stop it all together?

I also made a lotion with aloe and msm to apply to the new outbreak and old ones that never sleep.

Tkr (Curcumin)  
AK (Propolis )  
Nor (Olive leaf)  
E-Ech (Echinacea Extract)  
Mera (Sage leaf)  
Cam1 (Milk Thistle)  
Magic1 (Moringa Oleifera)  
Astro (Astragalus membranaceus)  
Spiru (Spirulina algae)  
M.Reishi (Reishi Ganoderma )  
M.Trame (Turkey Tail Mushroom)  
M.shiita (Shiitake Mushroom – Extract)  
MSM (Methyl Sulfonyl Methane)  
S.G1(Siberian ginseng)  
Zinc (Zinc Picolinate)
Edited by THR1
addition of information
  • 1 month later...

I just started msm crystals 2 days ago. First time I've had an OB in YEARS. Kind of worried maybe it's not for me? Going to continue taking it I'll update after a full 10 days. I usually don't use antibiotics,creams etc. Like I said first one in years, I just don't need them (plus antibiotics wreak havoc on my body). Just for reference my bodies conditions, I use nicotine, no alcohol, low sugar, intermittent fasting regularly, no red meat, little to no dairy (cheese 1-2 times a week), coffee, water and tea only. These conditions aren't HSV related just my preferences. Also my dream theory is I'm detoxing *crossing fingers* and like any other detox were simply purging right now.