Will I ever know for sure?

littleone03

Ok now I just have no clue!

Last week I had an "outbreak" of herpes. Some small bumps appeared and turned to sores the were sort of pussy and white. I had an appointment with a doctor and it was the day they broke open. He took a swab from the sores and sent the sample out for testing...

Well, everything came back negative. The bumps first appeared on Tuesday, and it was Saturday that they broke open and I was tested. However, this was 4 days after they first appeared. It was't really painful at all - not even when they broke open. Also, as I later mention, I've only ever had oral sex and it was over 2 years ago. My doctor seems to think it was probably a yeast infection that externalized itself. Even before the results came back, she said she's seen a lot of cases of herpes and if I do have it, she thought it was more likely that I infected myself (from a wet towel, etc) rather than it actually being from an encounter that long ago. However, I'm not really convinced because other than being painless, it sure looked like herpes. My first question, in case I have another outbreak - should I schedule an appointment right away for when the BUMPS first appear? I know false negatives can easily happen... so I'm just not sure when the best time to test is.

My main concern, however, is that I'm fairly certain it is hsv 1. I've only ever had oral sex with one person and am assuming that had he had oral herpes it was type 1. Now, I've had cold sores on my mouth since I was really little - I'm assuming I got this from family members of some sort. Since 80% of the population has this, it never seemed too concerning. However, I'm now wondering how I can be tested to see if what was on my genitals really was herpes! If I have a blood test, and it says I have hsv 1, that doesn't really answer anything because I'm pretty sure that I would have that already from my mouth.

This is so frustrating because it's not exactly easy to tell someone you're seeing that you *might* have genital herpes, but you don't really know for sure...

Any suggestions? I mean, what if I never have an outbreak again? What would you do?

Thank you so much.

You were prescribed an antiviral for Herpes. Now, you need to find out if you have HSV-2 to know what comes next. About 12 weeks after the outbreak, you should request a Herpes Select IgG bloodtest specific for HSV-2 and one specific for HSV-1. If these tests are positive, you cannot ignore your herpes status with a sexual partner. To learn more about how to protect a partner and to care for yourself, go to:

http://www.westoverheights.com

and download or read online the Herpes Handbook. You will find this a very useful and helpful tool.

If HSV-1, you probably will not experience many or anymore outbreaks. The handbook will explain asymptomatic shedding for you - when you are capable of transmitting the virus to a partner and what you can do to reduce the risk.

If HSV-2, you can expect to experience as many as 4-5 more outbreaks in the first year. Many doctors recommend suppression therapy with acyclovir for the first year after the initial outbreak. This would reduce a partner's chance of contracting the virus by about 50% - very significant.

It's important to know that honesty and good self esteem are very important to moving forward in your life. Herpes is only a virus, not a life-threatening illness. About 1 in 4 women have genital herpes, but only about 10% of us are aware. The remainder have symptoms so slight, or none they recognize. Thus, they go undiagnosed. Hang in there. It gets better with time and knowledge.