Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Buddy

What's the "best" alcohol drink and diet???

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

Haven't been on in a while and looking for some opinions.

I'm a social/not daily drinker as a rule but enjoy it now and then. I've been drinking vodka and cranberry as "the choice" at present, but wondering if just plain old light beer would be "less provocative" as far as outbreaks.

Also, I usually eat oatmeal with mixed nuts and some fruti for breakfast.

Lately, I found myself eating peanut butter again and yesterday had a very slight outbreak. One spot.

Ironically, since my split with ex, I've gotten more outbreaks than I ever did before, and I haven't been with anyone for several months now.

I've been taking Lysine 1000 mg per day, and although I felt the pin pricks the last few days after drinking last Friday, no outbreaks. Forgot to take Lysine yesteday and got a bump. I don't know what's coincidence or not anymore.

Take Valtrex only for outbreaks...............

How true are all of you to the recommended diet listed on here?

Oatmeal, mixed nuts, whole wheat, and other food staples are supposed to be good for you in a number of ways..................

Is it really some key things like, chocolate, peanuts, alcohol ( any kind ) and sugar that are the really triggers???

sorry this isnt gonna have much to do with alcohol. well i think that peanut butter is high in arganine... which is the opposite of lysine. lysine suppresses herpes and arganine activates it or something of the sort. grains and stuff is supposed to be good for you generally but for us herpes people its a little different. sorry i cant provide a link or anything but if you look around on the internet there are articles about the whole arganine / lysine thing. i love peanut butter and i try very very hard to stay away from it. .... very very hard. dont know much else about the alcohol.... sorry. if you keep your immune system up, you'll see that your outbreaks will be less occuring... and i think thats as much truth that you'll find in all the stuff people say. good luck to you. p.s. i'm sure you know limiting sugar is good too.

let me say that again

limiting sugar is important. trust me. or dont. but you should. :-D and if your pocket book can afford shopping organic then you should. you should be careful not to eat things with high fructose corn syrup and msg which goes by the name of ..monosodium glutamate... or something like that cause they're not good for you... i dont know how aware you are of that. and they put it in EVERYTHING sold at regular supermarkets. shop at like trader joes or something. but if your pocket book cant afford it just... read labels before you buy things and try not to eat a lot of stuff like... *chocolate* drink a lot of water and in general just be healthy.

Thanks for replies

I know we are all different in terms of what is "good" for us. I don't come on this forum as much these days.

When I get an outbreak I get angry and frustrated just like most of you. It subsides as the outbreak goes away.

Althought I spend some moments feeling sorry for myself, I try and put myself in the younger kids place when I see them on the forums. Although I have to say their chances on the dating forums are a lot better.

At least for most of my adult life, I didn't have to deal with this up until the last 4 years...............

Thanks for your replies and other are welcome to throw in their 2 cents.

what does alcohol do?

I don't know if anyone else finds this but whenever I have a drink AT ALL I get increased discomfort down there and the 'cracks' in the skin around my vaginal area seem to get worse. I'm not a massive drinker but I'm finding it SOOOO hard not to drink anything as I do like a glass of wine when I get home from a stressful day at work! Is wine really bad? should I try lager instead? or vodka and cranberry?

I'm only 28, I can't have a life without a drink ever! These 'cracks' never seem to go away!

reply to annashep

i too feel those "cracks" and they sting and burn....and red wine for me seems to correlate with flare ups so i try not to drink it anymore.......but im not sure if it connected but seems to be somehow.

To above posters..........

I just happen to go on this site tonight after not being on here for several months.

My ex said she always felt it after drinking wine and chocolate.............2 of women's best friends.

I wouldn't say vodka and cranberry would be any better, but you can try and it's certainly less filling than beer. The crappy thing about HSV is that you're supposed to avoid eating and drinking so many things......most which are good for you.

Funny thing, when I was with my ex, whom I got it from, I hardly got an outbreak in our 5 years together, but have been on my own now for a year and a half, and got a fair amount of OB's, although very mild by most standards. For the past few months I've been on Valtrex with no OB's except I'm not "enjoying" that with anyone.

There is something to be said I think about being happy and carefree which unfortunately for most of us doesn't come easy in these times.

So again, skip the wine and try something else.