Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
loey897

generic valtrex --not as effective?

17 posts in this topic

I asked my dr to put me on suppressive valtrex treatment yesterday, and she agreed to. I went to get my Rx and noticed afterwards that I was given the generic valrex (valacyclovir) and i got really nervous. I know that most pharmacies will give out generics for 99% of drugs unless specifically asked by your dr, but this one made me nervous. Does it make a difference? Is the generic not as effective?

I've yet to have an OB since I was put on generics and its been almost 6 months.

It really does depend. I went to my doctors 5 (yes count....5) times while on generics complaining of constant crawlies itchies and I couldn't catch a break. When I went on Valtrex - it all stopped....but, it stopped because the virus CHOSE to. Not because of the Valtrex, but it DOES help alot. Being on anti-virals doesn't always necessarily mean that it will STOP the outbreaks completely....you MAY still get them, just not as severe! Especially if the virus is still new in your body. I've only had it for a year, and I get monthly OB's -except with no sores. Just monthly irritation similar to my initial OB. That's how I know I'm having a small OB. When it feels like 'liquid fire' (discharge)- but not so painful LOL

It works differently for everyone. The generic vs. the name brand are essentially the same amount of medicine in each pill, just different 'filler'. But no difference in the administration of medication.

I'm on the generic and it works GREAT for me. As soon as I started taking it, my blisters healed up and were gone in 48 hours-and I have yet to have another OB since I started it. It's about 200000 times cheaper, so my advice to you is to try it-if you can't feel a difference after a week or two, just call your pharmacy and tell them you need a refill but with the brand name of Valtrex and NOT the generic. But I hope the cheaper generic works for you too :)

In my personal experience the brand name medication worked a lot more efficiently than the generic, with better efficacy and requiring a smaller dosage. The generic I tried was manufactured by Apotex.

I have ordered from them several times without a problem.

Hm, no problems, do you live in the US? Just read lots of complaints of fraud, bad batch of meds and no delivery.

Wonder if anyone else has had any good luck with them.

Yes, I live in the Washington DC area, and I have ordered several times with no problems. My last order was in January, and I received it in 2 weeks. They even call to follow up after they confirm the order was delivered.

I had no issues with the generic brand - at first. No OB for almost a year, then all of a sudden back to back. Manufacturer was Ranbaxy. They were in the media a few months ago and around that time ai started to have issues. I heard that generics can cause issues and may be less effective in some cases. Now I'm giving the name brand a try. Fingers crossed.

I have used Valacyclovir (generic Valtrex) and have never had an issue. I have used Acyclovir, Valtrex Brand Name and Zorvirax Ointment and latest was Valacyclovir Pills 500mg and all did its job at suppressing the virus. I have had ghsv2 for 26 yrs so far and I stay with only two outbreaks ever and I am also married and I have never passed my herps to my husband. Good Luck honey. Take care and keep the immune system up and strong. Truly, Aces :hithere:

I had no issues with the generic brand - at first. No OB for almost a year, then all of a sudden back to back. Manufacturer was Ranbaxy. They were in the media a few months ago and around that time ai started to have issues. I heard that generics can cause issues and may be less effective in some cases. Now I'm giving the name brand a try. Fingers crossed.

Same here. Generic worked for a while but when I went to suppressive therapy I am getting OB after OB. I was using valcyclovoir with m122 written on it. A friend told me generics aren't always as good so I ordered valtrex today. Fingers crossed. I need my life back!