Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hiding

Foods and Herpes, what is good, what is not?

3 posts in this topic

I don't really know what is good/bad food for herpes but I heard Chocolate and Peanuts are bad and so is anything with arginine.

and I just read this:

Arginine can be found in any protein containing foods such as meat, poultry, dairy products, fish, etc. Foods high in arginine include chocolate, peanuts and walnuts.

Thats everything with protein in it.. I'm trying to build some weight and muscle but I also want to do whatever I can to aviod outbreaks.

Maybe if I just aviod peanuts,walnuts, and chocolate I'll be fine? Because I really can't go without meat and diary products.

'm going to do some research but in the meanwhile I would like some help from you herpes knowledged people out there. Will foods differ for HSV1 and 2?

Let's make this a useful thread that becomes a sticky!

You can find a good list of Arginine high, and Lysine high, foods at:

http://www.herpes.com/Nutrition.shtml

Note that the top of the list contains the low Argine foods, so the closer to the top the better for you, the closer to the bottom you get, the worse it is for Herpes (alledgedly).

You can see from this that cheese and milk products are low in Arigine, and that most meats are not too high either.

The worst offenders shown for high argine are, highest first:

Walnuts

Hazelnuts

Orange juice (shame, I used to love fresh orange juice....)

Various other nutes & grape juice....the list goes on

Wheat doesn't look good and many of us eat a lot of wheat in our breakfast cerial, bread & pasta.

I have vastly reduced my intake of nuts & wheat for the past year when I first read about Lysine/Arginine. Also, unrelated I think to this subject directly, have vastly reduced my sugar, caffeine and cola intake. All this seemes to have reduced outbreaks considerably.

I also take 2 Red Marine Algae tablets daily, a multivitamin, 1000mg Vit C & a Zinc tablet.

Have read today that half an asprin per day may help too, may as well hop onto this regime as well now!

The other key, that is common knowledge, is avoiding stress and 'over doing' it (ie, not sleeping enough, drinking too much alcohol etc). Up until recently my job involved a lot of international travel, resulting in some underlying stress (catching flights etc) and lots of late nights living it up, drinking, early mornings etc. My new job involves far less of these activities, and my outbreaks are again further reduced.

what about foods not on list?

Hi.

I've been trying to tailor my diet to have more lysine in it and eat more foods now that are at the top of the list, but what about those not on the list at all? Like Ryvita, Wraps, Fruit Tea... I eat a lot of these things! Anyone know? And alcohol? What type is best? Or worst?

Any advice welcome

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Buzz

• Lucy0528
      Perhaps dumb question but how should you watch your diet? I'm newly diagnosed so am gathering information on what to do/not to do.  Thanks! 
    • Lilibet
      Hi there, wondered if anyone had had any experience of this. im on day 16 of my first OB of ghsv1. I've had my aciclovir course, am taking 3000g lysine daily still. From what I can see all sores have healed (perhaps some residual internal) and it's starting to look normal but for the last two days I had had the most insane itching/tickling sensations (in the vagina and bottom)    has as anyone else had this? Is this 'normal'? I'm concerned it's the start of a new outbreak but I don't feel the last has properly gone!
    • Franticheart
      Has anyone that has been diagnosed with GH noticed an increase in fungal/yeast infections down below since getting the virus?  I am sure that I have it, even tho the blood tests say negative, and ever since I have had an almost constant fungal rash in my groin that keeps coming back.  I never had a single one before! Coincidence? I don't know.
    • nervouswreck
      I had no flu-like symptoms. I just used the Monistat 1 and began burning and blistering. Im hoping its a chemical burn. When I initially went to the doctor she did not mention herpes at all . she gave me the cream and the difilcuan and that was it, but I went back after 2 days and the other doctor gave me Valtrex . I don't even look at the pill bottle because I cant imagine taking this for the rest of my life. Ive been praying so hard. Ive been going on the website were I can view my test results to see if they are uploaded yet. I had NONE of this until I used that stupid Monistat 1. Im not having any scabbing no crusting over . It literally looks like the skin just burned off of me. Im so trying to keep it together. Please pray for me ! When I went back to the doctor for the second time, I told him that I had all of this from my initial visit and why didn't she test me then? He said "well because its doesn't necessarily look like and outbreak , its kinda like hmmm what is it" .. Im freaking out. Im not myself I cant think straight. It really is the end of the world for me if it comes back positive I know ppl say its not. But it truly is for me . Again the yeast infection was confirmed by the doctor , and my sheet also says acute vaginitis. she said I had a lot of yeast . PLEASE PRAY FOR ME . PLEASE THIS HAS BEEN THE HARDEST WEEK OF MY LIFE . PLEASE
    • crookbristi
      Thanks for the reply. I went this morning for a blood test.  I sat in the car for a bit thinking maybe I could just wait until I had another OB (if I do at all) or maybe I didn't need the confirmation of the blood test.  But I actually kept thinking about what you said; I shouldn't assume I have HSV right now and the only way to know is with the test. It took me about 15 minutes to get the courage to go in but I did. I should have my results in a day or two. And you're right about not thinking so hard about judgement. I made some unwise choices and now have to deal with the consequences of them.  I was playing the 'poor me' card and looking for some sympathy but really I just need to move on with it all so I don't let it consume me.  The more I've read about HSV, the more "ok" I feel about it. If I change some health habits, I think I can manage it very well.  I've avoided looking at some of the more negative things out there on the internet about this disease. I've preemptively ordered some things that people on here have highly recommended to help manage outbreaks, etc.    One foot in front of the other, right?  
    • MistressRaina
      So,  the results came back as hsv2 ‹5. Figures...,
    • mol
      Yeh the Dr said it looked like hsv1 & took a swab the results came back as type1. Yeh i know she said that also but is possible to contract thru sex. Just wondered about the bloods thanks. Its all bit confusing
    • Mode
      We had sex today (we tried).. I feel nervous of what might happen on the following days. 
    • Sarahbby28
      I've only seen transmission rates for 2
    • Lisajd
      Someone else that question of Terry Warren about lysine vs arginine and she said that there is no hard evidence to suggest that arginine does cause outbreaks but did say that certain foods and drinks do trigger outbreak 4 people and that really it is trial and error.  If you eat a packet of Tim Tams and you have an outbreak then you better cut back on your Tim Tams is what she basically says
  • Featured