World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Gamerdude

Spread cold sores by sharing food?

Gamerdude

Hi, I have read that it is possible to spread cold sores through sharing inanimate objects that comes into contact with the mouth while having cold sores (like towels, cigarettes, tooth brushes, etc) I have been avoiding all of that. However, how likely is it to get cold sores from eating food from the same bows? For example we would have mash potatoes etc in the center of the table and the family would do a free for all with their own utensils. I'm wondering how likely is it to get cold sores from this situation if one person in the family has an active cold sore?

Thanks, I can't find any answer for this specific question so far... Obviously what i'd like to hear is that it's close to 0 chance...

5 Element

I think the possibility of spreading oral H this way is slim, as it is spread via skin to skin contact. Things like sharing chap stick, cigarettes etc, can spread it as well because when you are sharing things of this nature the time btwn it coming in contact with the person who has the cold sore and the sharer's mouth is short (hey can i have a drag of your smoke, oh you have chap stick, can I have some too). It should be said that chances of spreading it these ways are not as high as skin to skin, but yes possible. However I do think it would be a good idea to have one serving spoon for each dish during dinner, cold and flu season is gearing up.

Gamerdude

Hi 5 Element,

Thanks for the response, that's a relief to me. We'll probably take precautions with a serving spoon as you've suggested just in case.

RealisticGal

Here is a snippet of a knol written by Dr. H Hunter Handsfield, one of the foremost authorities on STIs/HSV. Please take note of what he has to say about transmission by way of shared inanimate objects:

"Sexually transmitted bacteria do not tolerate drying, do not survive in microscopic droplets, and have evolved for survival in the genitals or rectum. Therefore transmission cannot occur through the air or through non-intimate personal contact, but instead requires the overt exchange of genital secretions or the direct contact of moist genital surfaces — that is, sex. Some STD pathogens, in particular HIV and HBV, also circulate in the blood and can be transmitted by exposure to blood or by organ transplantation. Transmission by routes other than sex occurs only through other “intimate” exposures, as when babies are infected in the uterus or during labor and delivery. Transmission does not result from contact of infected secretions or blood with intact skin, by airborne exposure, or by shared toilet seats, moist towels, or intimate clothing. The latter have been invoked through history as face-saving explanations, but they have no basis in fact."

:wavey:

Misty67

I don't think there is a cut and dry answer on this question. Nor do I think we will all agree on the topic.

I think the chances are slim to spread a cold sore by sharing a drink, lipstick, eating untensil, but nonetheless I do believe there is a slight risk of spreading it this way.

But you are asking if you can spread the virus by having a community bowl of food and everyone using their own untensil....I think those chance or slim to none...I agree with element be careful doing this with flu and cold season coming up.