World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
nony

what is the most accurate test to take to find diagnosis of hsv? bloodwork? culture?

nony

hello everyone,

im a 23 f who found out a week ago from my doctor that "i may or may not have hsv2". i came to the doctors for a regular checkup, and decided to get tested for everything. i lost my virginity this past may with my first boyfriend. lucky me, now i might have hsv2. i dont want to focus on who to blame, bc it just frustrates me and makes me upset. the thing is i am a little confused. the doctor told me to come in again to take another blood test. but ive read that blood work may not be as accurate? my initial bloodwork came out equivocal for hsv2. i asked what that means and he said "well, you may or may not have hsv2" positive would have been above 1.15, negative would have been below .09. my index was 1.10. does anyone have similar stories to this?

so now im going in tomorrow to do more tests to see if i really have hsv. i just want to make sure i ask for the right test. can anyone please advise me on this?

the first day i found out i was a bit in disbelief. my bf said he got tested, i didnt sleep with anyone else until him.. unless can you get hsv2 by having dry sex with underwear on? anyways, i was in disbelief. 2nd day i told my bf and we consoled each other. 3rd day i felt alone and did a lot of research. 4th day i bawled my eyes out. i felt so alone, i felt dirty, i felt lost, i felt cheated. 5th day i learned to forgive and accept things. life still goes on. i worry more when my first outbreak might be. reading stories seems like its horrible.

can anyone share their first outbreak please? were you able to work? did you have a fever? what did you do to make yourself feel better? i havent seen any symptoms, other than the potential razor bumps. i do shave down there, and its a little itchy and it burns a little. but dont razor bumps do those?

any advice on bettering myself? what to eat, how often to exercise, what to take, any creams, etc. any advice honestly would be great.

also, i cant help but hope that my bloodwork was just 1.10 and that i dont have hsv2. has anyone had similar stories to mine? i will take another test to officially find out soon... keep you all posted!

trying to stay positive,

Nony :)

JBnATL

The most accurate test is the Western Blot blood test, but it is expensive.

And yes you can get genital herpes while dry humping wearing underwear. Look up Sacral Ganglia nerve system. That is the path the virus takes to the epidermis. You can transmit the virus anywhere in that area and it all isn't covered by underwear unless you were wearing long johns.

Read all you can about this and you will feel a lot better. It really is a very common, mostly harmless virus. Had you ever had mono, chicken pox or a cold sore? If so, you already had herpes.

Come to the "Chat Room", there you will find many nice fellow Herpsters who can offer you their support.

Good luck!

JB