World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
molly78

Sex causing an OB?

molly78

I was wondering if anyone has had intercourse actually cause an outbreak. I'm married and have had it 5 years, and I could swear that intercourse is causing outbreaks. I mean, just when I get over an attack, and want to have normal sex, I go and get another outbreak. It is a vicious cycle. And has anyone tried Zestra lubricant? It is one without Arginine in it.

bestronger

I believe any kind of friction that could irritate your skin can trigger an outbreak. Friction just causes a lot of stress - I haven't really experienced the problem first hand but my mother has proven it! Her doctor advised her to wait till everything heals completely. It's best if you can wait a couple days after you think you've healed because of course the skin after an outbreak is very sensitive.

Guest AlUrker

I'm pretty sure that sex can be a trigger for me. I'd been through a 3 year dry spell on both sex and obs (longer on obs). As soon as I started having sex again I had an ob. There was some stress involved too (getting old SUCKS) so that may have been a factor too but I attribute it to changing hormone levels. YMMV, everyone's triggers are a little different. In your case the lubricant may be a factor as well, I've seen some post that certain lubricants are "instant" ob for them, mainly the warming ones iirc.

InLoveAndAtPeace

Hello----I think sex is a trigger for me, too. :( bummer, because while it apparently causes skin stress, it most certainly relieves emotional stress. In fact, my first outbreak was misdiagnosed as tears from vigorous activity. I believed the dx at the moment. It WAS one of the first weekends that my kids were away and my bf was over a lot. (I didn't consider herpes because I was with a first bf after years of marriage---and bf never had or never recognised any outbreaks) When the gyn said i was torn, I was thinking....I had a nice weekend but it wasn't THAT wild. Then the tears changed to a more classic herpes appearance and got even more painful. I had known a bit about herpes as a STD caseworker years ago, so I knew what the corrected dx was going to be. ever since then, my OB seem to be after sex except when I am healed and on the last dose or two of anti-virals. I am seriously considering asking if I can take them full time.

jaden

I've noticed the same thing with me! I've had HSV2 for 15 years and only about 6 years ago did sex start to cause me to have OBs. I've tried Astroglide and it seemed to help but I'm wondering now if there are better lubricants out there to use?