World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
accelerate the response

Amgen kills off Immunovex?

accelerate the response

If you check out the Biovex website, the instigators of Immunovex, they say they are now fully integrated with Amgen, who took them over.

Neither site now makes any reference to Immunovex which, had they continued after a succcesful phase one, was perhaps only about five years away from being available in a clinic to patients. Everybody else seems at least ten years away, maybe more.

So we have all gone smartly backwards.

One less ray of hope out there.

helpiamconfused2
If you check out the Biovex website, the instigators of Immunovex, they say they are now fully integrated with Amgen, who took them over.

Neither site now makes any reference to Immunovex which, had they continued after a succcesful phase one, was perhaps only about five years away from being available in a clinic to patients. Everybody else seems at least ten years away, maybe more.

So we have all gone smartly backwards.

One less ray of hope out there.

According to news from UK phase I still ongoing. See Sphere magazine. Also, Agenus is farther along and proceeding to phase II in 2012.

There was a post re biovex last week with details.

Sabrina32

Acclerate is correct i am the source that got confirmation that immunovex has been shelved here is the important part of an email i received.

Regarding immunovex, Amgen is focused on other clinical development programs and is not developing immunovex at this time.

Amgen

Director, Corporate Communications

helpiamconfused2
Acclerate is correct i am the source that got confirmation that immunovex has been shelved here is the important part of an email i received.

Regarding immunovex, Amgen is focused on other clinical development programs and is not developing immunovex at this time.

Amgen

Director, Corporate Communications

Here is a copy and paste from a Herpes Advocacy Group in the UK. The Director of the group emailed me this about 10 days ago:

You can watch our 'What's new page or subscribe to SPHERE to get the news in full. Click through off our website to subscribe (you can select 'by email' fro the most prompt service.)

The phase 1 trial has not been completed yet - they have about one third of the volunteers still to inject. There is an interview with the doctor in charge in the current SPHERE magazine.

Best wishes,

Marian

M J Nicholson

Director

HVA, 41 North Road

LondonN7 9DP

020 7607 9661 and 0845 123 2305

www.hva.org.uk

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sabrina32

Tell me what would marian know that an employee of amgen doesnt know? I saw that i got the same reply from her. Did you read the email?

helpiamconfused2
Tell me what would marian know that an employee of amgen doesnt know? I saw that i got the same reply from her. Did you read the email?

What email are you referring to? Either way we cant control what Amgen does. If they have shelved their product it may be because it didnt work. Its hard to imagine theyd stop development unless for some reason it made business sense to do so.

So, if they have stopped development that is bad news but Agenus is farther along and there are others...

Sweet7

I think Amgen should publish the results of the trial. If it appeared to be as good or even better than herpV, then they should offer it for sale to a pharma that could take it further. Stating they don't have the resources to continue is not a statement that it does not work. It's all about the buck folks.

helpiamconfused2

I agree and wish they would publish the results - assuming they actually completed Phase I. I wish they would move it forward, but have no control over that.

On the other hand, Amgen certainly HAS the resources to advance Immunovex. They have ~44 BILLION dollars in assets and only 20 BILLION dollars in liabilities. Money does not appear to be an issue with them. They have ~23 BILLION dollars in current assets (things that can be converted to cash in one year or less). Source: http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bs?s=AMGN+Balance+Sheet&annual

They had net income of ~4.7 BILLION dollars last year (2010) and free cash flow of 403 MILLION dollars.

They have plenty of money to move forward if they think it makes business sense to do so. If it makes business sense to do so and they are purposely not moving it forward then if someone could prove it (might be hard to do), then there could be one hell of a class action lawsuit by the shareholders because they wouldn't be acting in the best interest of the shareholders by shelving it - if they have.

wwdamron

dont think anyone knows what immunovex future is. just because its not on their website means nothing. show me where acam-529 is on Sanofi's website, and everyone knows they are getting close to human trials.

helpiamconfused2

Sorry to add to the debate/saga re Immunovex. I am not wanting to argue. I guess time will tell.

Below is a paste from an email received 11/4 re Immunovex. I preceded her email to me with one to her stating Amgen had indicated they were no longer developing Immunovex.

My email with question is below:

People on the herpes-coldsores.com forum say that Immunovex is no longer being developed by Amgen/Biovex.

Do you have any definitive positive confirmation either way you can point me to?

A copy of the email reply back is immediately below:

I have chatted with the doctor in charge of the trial. I think that she is better informed that some forum writers! PLEASE CORRECT THE FORUM - I am getting bored with the number of people 'telling me' what I know to be incorrect.

The trial has not yet finished its Phase 1 stage. It is only after this has been evaluated that the manufacturers could consider scrapping it. Thus far there has been NO NEGATIVE result, therefore I expect it to continue to Phase 2 if the financial returns look good to Amgen.

Cheers,

Marian

mistaken101
Sorry to add to the debate/saga re Immunovex. I am not wanting to argue. I guess time will tell.

Below is a paste from an email received 11/4 re Immunovex. I preceded her email to me with one to her stating Amgen had indicated they were no longer developing Immunovex.

My email with question is below:

People on the herpes-coldsores.com forum say that Immunovex is no longer being developed by Amgen/Biovex.

Do you have any definitive positive confirmation either way you can point me to?

A copy of the email reply back is immediately below:

I have chatted with the doctor in charge of the trial. I think that she is better informed that some forum writers! PLEASE CORRECT THE FORUM - I am getting bored with the number of people 'telling me' what I know to be incorrect.

The trial has not yet finished its Phase 1 stage. It is only after this has been evaluated that the manufacturers could consider scrapping it. Thus far there has been NO NEGATIVE result, therefore I expect it to continue to Phase 2 if the financial returns look good to Amgen.

Cheers,

Marian

That is welcome news, Help, and great to hear. Thank you for contacting her to clear things up. Very happy to see that this has not yet been "scrapped".

Sweet7

I am sorry but I have read the correspondence from Amgen. Immunovex has been shelved. This came straight from the corporate office. Email them yourself.

mklem@amgen.com

Movingslowly

There are so many vaccines in the making for hsv2 that in all reality we'll never know whats really occurring behind those closed doors. Im sure that from a business standpoint they need secure their future with profits. So, in designing these vaccines they most likely will require boosters, thus securing their future with profits. Plus, knocking the virus completely out is not I any businesses agenda unlesd they can continue to make reasonable money. I cant stand to hear people say corporations will never allow a cure for herpes. Think about all the curable sti's and how more people have chlamydia. Obviously, someone is greatly benefiting from selling those antibiotics because the disease is remarkably spreading. This virus is very challenging from a business standpoint and the laboratory. But, its clear that these firms are finding a bright future for better management of herpes or their wouldnt be dozens of them trying to get a new treatment to market. 10 years ago their wasnt this many research labs trying to bring a new drug to market. Its a ridiculously long process and during that process these corporations need to know they are still benefiting bringing their drug to market. We all know their is an intense market for a herpes cure or way more effective treatment. The demand would be even greater if CDC would require herpes testing on a sti panel. This website would blow up with new members that its not technology set up to probably handle that many members. Then im sure the statistics would reveal an even greater number of those really infected. The pressure for an outstanding treatment or cure would be having many pharms trying to get a drug to market asap.

helpiamconfused2
I am sorry but I have read the correspondence from Amgen. Immunovex has been shelved. This came straight from the corporate office. Email them yourself.

mklem@amgen.com

Sweet, I sent the following email.

Hi, has Immunovex been shelved, i.e., no longer being actively developed? Secondly, was the Phase I trial ever completed?

With an almost infinite number of people impacted by HSV, if Amgen has, why would you stop development on this drug - if you have? Did it not work?

I reviewed Amgen's Balance Sheet and the resources are certainly there to advance this drug...

Please advise.

Sweet7

I sure hope you get a reply to settle it once and for all. I'm very disappointed about Immunovex. But from what I read, they do not have plans of advancing it.

Rational Response

Did you receive a reply yet? What is the verdict? Has Immunovex been scrapped?

helpiamconfused2
Did you receive a reply yet? What is the verdict? Has Immunovex been scrapped?

No reply... when/if I get one, I will post it within 48 hours.

mistaken101
I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS ARTICLE. IT HAS INFORMATION ABOUT IMMUNOVEX AND WHY IT MAY NOT MAKE IT THROUGH HUMAN CLINICAL TRIALS. THERE ARE DEFECTS IN THE VACCINE.

http://www.siumed.edu/pubs/aspects/Summer2010/feature4_33-3.html

Is Halford the only one currently working on a live attenuated vaccine? He's not even in clinical trials yet which is frustrating because it sounds like this could be the answer.

Interesting to hear what he has to say about the Immunovex vaccine though. If it has been scrapped, maybe this is the reason:

The ‘Immunovex’ vaccine, now in clinical trials, was developed in the mid-2000s by a group of scientists in the United Kingdom led by Dr. Robert Coffin and Dr. David Latchman. This HSV-2 virus vaccine has a greater potential to duplicate it self and spread in the body, but still the virus carries defects in five different genes. Dr. Halford believes that the Immunovex vaccine strain may be too attenuated to succeed as a human vaccine.

Monique
No reply... when/if I get one, I will post it within 48 hours.

I also wrote to Mary Klem and haven't heard back as yet. I would like to think that they still have something in the works hence why they aren't saying anything - I mean i don't see any reason to be secretive if they have indeed scrapped Immunovex (maybe I'm just being optimistic?).

helpiamconfused2
I also wrote to Mary Klem and haven't heard back as yet. I would like to think that they still have something in the works hence why they aren't saying anything - I mean i don't see any reason to be secretive if they have indeed scrapped Immunovex (maybe I'm just being optimistic?).

While I think it is good that we know what is happening, by inquiring and such I think we need to focus on the things we are:

Petitions

Emails,

Etc,

To expedite the processes...

Thanks to all who are involved.

Monique

I received a reply from Mary Klem

Today I received a reply from Mary Klem who is the Director of Corporate Communications, Amgen;

I was not initially aware that a phase 1 clinical trial was ongoing but was just able to confirm today that a phase I trial for immunovex is still underway in the UK. As far as I am aware, Amgen has not yet determined its future plans for this clinical program.

So we now have confirmation that Amgen has not been scrapped (atleast not at this stage). As to what the future holds, no-one knows but I urge everyone to write to Amgen and push for them to continue with trials and to not abandon this program. Mary Klems email address is mklem@amgen.com

Please can I ask for everyone's support? Thank you.

helpiamconfused2
Today I received a reply from Mary Klem who is the Director of Corporate Communications, Amgen;

I was not initially aware that a phase 1 clinical trial was ongoing but was just able to confirm today that a phase I trial for immunovex is still underway in the UK. As far as I am aware, Amgen has not yet determined its future plans for this clinical program.

So we now have confirmation that Amgen has not been scrapped (atleast not at this stage). As to what the future holds, no-one knows but I urge everyone to write to Amgen and push for them to continue with trials and to not abandon this program. Mary Klems email address is mklem@amgen.com

Please can I ask for everyone's support? Thank you.

Great News! Yes you can count on my support! A sample email is:

Email:

Herpes2 infects up to 20% of the US population over 18. Herpes2 infects up to 50% of the African American women. Herpes2 infects up to 70% of all unwed women over 45 years old. Herpes2 increases one's chances for acquiring AIDS.

The only medicinal treatment to both reduce outbreaks and viral shedding must be taken every day. It is also a costly proposition. There is no approved vaccine in the US which both reduces outbreaks and shedding.

We respectfully ask that Amgen continue Phase I testing and design the Phase II testing such that upon successful completion the Company can immediately apply for Fast Track Status. This would be welcome news to MILLIONS and we will support your efforts in any way possible.

Thanks and please help us out. By helping the sufferers you will also help your shareholders!

Monique

Everyone, HIAC2 has been kind enough to put together a sample email that we can send to Amgen to request that they continue phase 1 testing of Immunovex. Please could you all send to Mary Klem, Director of Corporate Communications? Her email address is mklem@amgen.com If anyone has the email address of a key contact in Amgen UK can you let me know and I will include on this post? The more people we send this to in Amgen the better!

Email:

Herpes2 infects up to 20% of the US population over 18. Herpes2 infects up to 50% of the African American women. Herpes2 infects up to 70% of all unwed women over 45 years old. Herpes2 increases one's chances for acquiring AIDS.

The only medicinal treatment to both reduce outbreaks and viral shedding must be taken every day. It is also a costly proposition. There is no approved vaccine in the US which both reduces outbreaks and shedding.

We respectfully ask that Amgen continue Phase I testing and design the Phase II testing such that upon successful completion the Company can immediately apply for Fast Track Status. This would be welcome news to MILLIONS and we will support your efforts in any way possible.

Thanks and please help us out. By helping the sufferers you will also help your shareholders!

Monique

Everyone, HIAC2 has been kind enough to put together a sample email that we can send to Amgen to request that they continue phase 1 testing of Immunovex. Please could you all send to Mary Klem, Director of Corporate Communications? Her email address is mklem@amgen.com If anyone has the email address of a key contact in Amgen UK can you let me know and I will include on this post? The more people we send this to in Amgen the better!

Email: