World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
SMZ87

More Americans Have Genital Herpes Than...

SMZ87

I was diagnosed with genital HSV about five weeks ago, and like everyone here, I was devastated. But since I have a little thing for fun stats, I decided I would compile some interesting ones for everyone who has been newly diagnosed. I'm hoping I will make some of you feel a little better and understand just how common genital herpes really is.

The CDC estimates that 16.7%, or about 37 million Americans, has genital herpes (either type) The National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey puts the estimate higher at 25%. That is about 55 million Americans!

More Americans have genital herpes than...

The number of Americans who enrolled in college in 2007 (18.2 million, according to the National Center for Education Statistics).

The number of people in the United States that make more than $100K per year (7.5 million according to social security data).

The number of Americans that have diabetes (25.8 million according to the 2011 Diabetes Fact Sheet).

The number of Americans who are unemployed, according to official government stats. (9.1%, or about 14 million Americans).

The number of people living in Ireland (population about 5 million), Cuba (population is about 11 million), Cambodia (population 15 million), and Albania (population about 3 million) combined! All population statistics were taken from the CIA World Fact Book.

I hope this makes you all feel a little bit better.

Maria93

Yes it did make me feel a lot less alone thank you so much for sharing :)

Kitty3443

You know, it's funny how ashamed we all are of it. If I was on the outside again, I would unintentionally look down on someone with an STD. What a crazy disease we all have!