World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
MommaT

5 yr old son-3rd cold sore oubteak in 6 weeks-when do I worry?

MommaT

My son, who is healthy in every other way, contracted the herpes virus at some point, and had his first herpetic outbreak in December of last year. It was bad...gingivastomatitis...multiple sores inside and out of his mouth. Took a good week or more to heal, but he did fine after that...not a single cold sore since then. In September, he got a stomach bug that left him with no appetite for a good week, and slightlt dehydrated. 2 weeks after he recovered...up pops a cold sore on his upper lip. No biggie, we deal. Well, about 3 weeks after this one healed...ANOTHER cold sore on the other side of his upper lip appeared. This time I took him to pediatrician who confirmed it was nothing to worry about, and that there was little we could do to treat or prevent the cold sores. I was more concerned about the frequency, wondering if there was something wrong with his immune system. Dr assured me it was fine. Ok

Just this week...only 2 weeks after the last one...2 more, this time right below his bottom lip. I am at a loss. I once again phoned pediatrician and he is not concerned. He told me acyclovir wont help until he learns the tingling feeling and can tell me. I am using abreva, and it doesnt seem to be doing much good, 4 days into the cold sores. He isnt bothered much by them. Only when I mess with them for applying abreva.

Pediatrician said its just bad luck, but nothing to worry about in an otherwise healthy kid. I asked about possibly something wrong with his immune system and he said "no way"...its really normal with it still being a new virus to his body.

I am giving him lysine, 1500 mg a day since Monday night. They are scabbed over and nasty looking now, but still sore to the touch.

I am questioning what on earth is reinfecting him...and why they are so frequent now. I am kind of hypochondriac when it comes to my kids, so I jump to awful conclusions like leukemia or something. Dr said no way would he think that with cold sores. Just wish I could figure out why they keep coming.

I wash his toothbrush in the dishwasher once a week, and my only other though is we used the same tube of herpecin L chapstick during all the outbreaks...not using it this time.

Thoughts? Anyone else have really frequent cold sores after first outbreak? Should I be concerned?

JBnATL

I agree with your doctor that it is no big deal. Over time he will overcome this and may never have another cold sore at all.

Try finding some lysine creme, I hear that works wonders.

Good luck!

JB

BRiGRL05

I just took my 4 yr old daughter to the Drs last Friday for the exact same thing. She's had 2 'outbreaks' on her mouth, and was terrified she contracted it from me, because I was diagnosed w HSV 1&2 back in August. Her Dr told me she could have gotten it from anywhere, germs are everywhere right? I was told not to worry, and if she has another one, I can either call them to bring her in again for a prescription, or just go out and buy Abreva. I asked about having a blood test done to confirm, and she didn't recommend it since 80% of people have HSV 1, so she didn't want to put my daughter through unnecessary discomfort.

Guest AlUrker

It's in the mommy job description to worry I know... but this is one you can most likely put beyond the back burner. I have had cold sores since I can remember (and that's a looooong time even though my memory ain't so good anymore) They never did me any harm, at least not any more than any other "injury" involved in growing up. I would guess the obs will decline in frequency and severity as he gets older and his immune system gets better at dealing with it. The worst thing you'll have to do is inform him of it when he's old enough so that he has a responsible attitude towards it.

MommaT

Thank you all for your reassurance. I have scoured the internet AGAIN today because we are now on #4 since September 21st. I just cant find ANYONE with a child with this frequent of outbreaks. I did everything I could to prevent another one, vitamin every.day, lysine every day, chapstick multiple times a day...yet he still has another one. I dont know whether to take him to a dermatologist or an infectious disease dr, or what. I want these to go away...even if for 2-3 months! Thats the "frequency" I see more people say is their experience.

davelongs

Actually, my little sister had issues like this at that age as well. She had constant outbreaks like that, and was also generally unhealthy- had all kinds of earaches and sinus problems. the latter were unrelated, but sometimes these things happens to kids.

RealisticGal

I can't see any point in comparing your son to other children. HSV behaves differently in each person. There is no "normal" with HSV.

One more thing --- it is possible your stress over this is evident, and is being passed to your child. That might actually be a trigger. Take deep breaths, do some yoga, go for a swim, take a hike, go dancing, take in a funny movie...anything to quit focusing all your attention on this situation.

Bet if you do, things will ease up before you even realize it.

:tee: