World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
panicroom

HSV 2 spreading to 7 year old child?PLEASE HELP

panicroom

OK PLEASE HELP ME! I am on the verge of a nervous break down. I have several issues but the one that belongs here is this! When I went in to be tested for a rash in my pubic region the Doc said it was foliculitois and proably not herpes but would swab it anyway. So he gave me anti biotics and a topical gel. I got my positive results 4 days later. My problem is during that time I applied the topical and I touched my sons hand. I am on the verge of a full blown melt down if I could have transmitted it. I read that the virus may live longer in moist conditions if I have the ointment on my hands and after touching my wound, and touch my son a few minutes later???????????? PLEASE PLEASE HELP me answer!

panicroom

CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP???? 5 Views and not a single reply. I would appreciate any information please

RealisticGal

Try to quit melting down over this.

The chance of transmitting HSV through the incident you described is probably negligible. First of all, HSV is not easily transmitted except when friction and mucous membranes are involved. Just touching your son's hand, which probably had completely intact skin, would not be an efficient way for the virus to be spread.

From now on, if you touch your genitals, just wash your hands with soap and water afterward. Normal hand-washing procedures have been shown to deactivate the virus.

Here is a snippet from a knol written by Dr. H. Hunter Handsfield, who is one of the foremost experts in the field of STIs/HSV. It sort of addresses your concerns.

"Sexually transmitted bacteria do not tolerate drying, do not survive in microscopic droplets, and have evolved for survival in the genitals or rectum. Therefore transmission cannot occur through the air or through non-intimate personal contact, but instead requires the overt exchange of genital secretions or the direct contact of moist genital surfaces — that is, sex. Some STD pathogens, in particular HIV and HBV, also circulate in the blood and can be transmitted by exposure to blood or by organ transplantation. Transmission by routes other than sex occurs only through other “intimate” exposures, as when babies are infected in the uterus or during labor and delivery. Transmission does not result from contact of infected secretions or blood with intact skin, by airborne exposure, or by shared toilet seats, moist towels, or intimate clothing. The latter have been invoked through history as face-saving explanations, but they have no basis in fact."

:wavey:

panicroom

Thank you. Thank you. Ugh. One issue resolved. Was so extreemly worried. Sorry for the freakout. Now have to figure out how to tell the girl Ia m dating. I never had a symtom, ever. Recently divorced 8 months ago, dated a bit slept with three girls over 5 months. Last one was in may or early june. I started dating this amazing girl about 2 months ago and we see eachother a few times aweek. Now I never knew the symtoms and during sex it hurt like afriction burn. In the morning I noticed the sore. Got tested 2 days later and it was positive. I have no idea waht to say to her and I have no idea if it was from her. She said she was tedsted, i just don't know when or for what. I can't believe this is happening. I well be a wreck if I gave it to her. If she gave it to me, sadly I would be more ok with that. Not sure how to talk to her about it.

RealisticGal
Thank you. Thank you. Ugh. One issue resolved. Was so extreemly worried. Sorry for the freakout. Now have to figure out how to tell the girl Ia m dating. I never had a symtom, ever. Recently divorced 8 months ago, dated a bit slept with three girls over 5 months. Last one was in may or early june. I started dating this amazing girl about 2 months ago and we see eachother a few times aweek. Now I never knew the symtoms and during sex it hurt like afriction burn. In the morning I noticed the sore. Got tested 2 days later and it was positive. I have no idea waht to say to her and I have no idea if it was from her. She said she was tedsted, i just don't know when or for what. I can't believe this is happening. I well be a wreck if I gave it to her. If she gave it to me, sadly I would be more ok with that. Not sure how to talk to her about it.

HSV is rarely included as part of routine STI test panels. Unless a person specifically asks for it to be done, it usually is not. The problem is, most people BELIEVE that when they ask to be tested for "all STIs," they really are tested for "everything." So when they are told that all their results came back negative, they figure they are clear.

That's part of the reason so many folks are running around with HSV without knowing it; that plus the fact that many folks never get recognizable symptoms. So the experts suggest that roughly 70% or more of those who have HSV do not know it.

Since so few folks are actually tested, it makes it very difficult for any one with more than a couple of partners to know when and from whom they might have contracted HSV. Oh, and the latency/dormancy factor of this virus also adds to that problem. It can remain dormant for quite a while, even "forever," without causing symptoms.

My suggestion of how to tell the gal you are with is just to be totally straightforward about it. Tell her how you just found out you have HSV, but don't know when you got it. Mention that you have just learned some facts about HSV that you didn't know (the stuff I mentioned before). Let her know about those facts, and that you care about her so you needed to let her know that she should be tested to find out her own status. I would also suggest directing her to this web site. It is a good place for her to learn more about HSV. The links on the right side of the page are full of good, balanced info. >>>>>>>>>>>>>

panicroom

thank you I appreciate your help. I can't believe how hard this is ad how bad it can effect so many from somthing like this. I hate myself for putting myself in this position and more so for putting her it it. Thank you.

RealisticGal
thank you I appreciate your help. I can't believe how hard this is ad how bad it can effect so many from somthing like this. I hate myself for putting myself in this position and more so for putting her it it. Thank you.

I don't know the details of your personal story, but what I do know is this...

Herpes simplex is a virus. It is a common virus (meaning lots of humans have it). Many humans get HSV because it is a virus that humans can get fairly easily, through normal human activities. Having HSV has nothing to do with the person's character. It does not make them "bad" or "dirty" or "shameful" to have it, nor does anyone get it because they are "bad" or "dirty" or "shameful" to begin with.

HSV is not a character defect. It is not a punishment for having character defects or any behavior, either.

It is just a virus. In that respect, it is no different from the flu or chickenpox. In fact, the herpes simplex virus is in the same family of viruses as the virus which causes chickenpox --- varicella zoster (sometimes called herpes zoster).

We do not beat ourselves up for getting the flu or chickenpox or mononucleosis, nor for unwittingly spreading those viruses to other humans.

There is no need to feel guilt about getting HSV. And as long as you inform potential intimate partners that you have it before intimacy, there is no need to feel as if you are putting anyone else in "this position," either.

panicroom

thank you. I hope one day to feel that way. Just feel stupid. Mainly do to high risk behavior. in a very short period of time. Not sure that I can or will forgive myself for giving(if I have) this to someone that I care about.